Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Like your name? [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
wimsey wrote:
I like mine now. It was something of a trial as a kid. It's an unusual name so it got (and continues to be) constantly misspelled and mispronounced - I like the distinctiveness now but it made me a target from time to time in my school days.

What do you expect when your me rhymes with a part of the female anatomy?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Like your name? [CrankyNeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
having a surname "Truelove" can be a burden, but I have lots of cousins. Still gets comments when showing I.D.

salmon - not because I'm a fish
Quote Reply
Re: Like your name? [Cervelokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am also Aaron, though I go by my middle name. Some

The problem I have with Aaron is that we get more butt dials and erroneous emails ccs than anyone else
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a family name. I am very happy that I got this "oldie, but goodie" instead of Gertrude. Being called Gertie for short, would have been insufferable as a child. Trudy is not so bad, but I'll take what I was given and keep it.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Like your name? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
chriskal wrote:
wimsey wrote:
I like mine now. It was something of a trial as a kid. It's an unusual name so it got (and continues to be) constantly misspelled and mispronounced - I like the distinctiveness now but it made me a target from time to time in my school days.

What do you expect when your me rhymes with a part of the female anatomy?
!

Dolores!

At least you don't have it as bad as this poor bastard.

Quote Reply
Re: Like your name? [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raygovett wrote:
I am good with Ray

but who the hell can remember if it's Alan, Alen, Allen, or Allan

Or Alynn, Alyn, Alynne if you're a girl.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Like your name? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
It's a family name. I am very happy that I got this "oldie, but goodie" instead of Gertrude. Being called Gertie for short, would have been insufferable as a child. Trudy is not so bad, but I'll take what I was given and keep it.
I have been called Bridgett, Gertrude and Gretchen, all of which are not even close to my name. It too is an old one.

Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BINGO! Good memory. I'm about 99% certain she will be my daughter-in-law within the next two years so I guess I need to start learning to love her ...

Govett's Rule

Learn to love your DIL, or you lose your son.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Like your name? [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raygovett wrote:
JSA wrote:
BINGO! Good memory. I'm about 99% certain she will be my daughter-in-law within the next two years so I guess I need to start learning to love her ...

Govett's Rule

Learn to love your DIL, or you lose your son.

You are a wise man and you are absolutely correct. That's why acknowledge the need to start learning to love her ... or at least fake it well ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Like your name? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick question on being a "III."
I know about a half dozen 3rd's including my brother and they all hate being the 3rd aand pretty much exclude it whenever possibly. Now on the other hand I know a few "IV" and they all love it and include it in everything even the dumbest things, this includes my nephew.

Did you like being the "III?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never really liked my last name, and didn't go well with my first name. Partly due to the fact that I never was really that close with my stepfather anyhow. Legally changed my last name to my mother's maiden name and to the side of the family that I was always closer to anyhow. Now it's much better, and has a little alliteration to it. Never changed it back to my biological father's last name, because I wouldn't know him if he walked past my house. And, I changed my username here, and I like that better too. Better all the way round for me. I think it really kindled a change in my life by legally changing my last name.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Like your name? [plifter242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plifter242 wrote:
Quick question on being a "III."
I know about a half dozen 3rd's including my brother and they all hate being the 3rd aand pretty much exclude it whenever possibly. Now on the other hand I know a few "IV" and they all love it and include it in everything even the dumbest things, this includes my nephew.

Did you like being the "III?"
I like that it's a tie to my pops and grandfather, I dislike that it's caused me some unnecessary red tape and sorting out documents to get 'III' recognized on government paperwork. I also kinda dislike the pressure--real or imagined--to the 'tradition' of carrying on the name to a future son, I honestly don't want a IV (and I really dislike the middle name, which is the main reason for not wanting to pass it down another generation) but I think being a 'III' adds a little bit of that pressure.

Also, there's the issue of multiple people in the same family with the same name, so while my dad has always been Ray I've been stuck with Raymond among family members, and I much prefer Ray. As I said in my first post it's a minor gripe and every name comes with their own drawbacks but if I had a choice I'd probably not be a 'III'. Though i dodged some bullets--i.e. not being named after my maternal grandfather (James Brown...would've been awkward as a pasty white Irish kid).
Quote Reply
Re: Like your name? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
JSA wrote:
Cervelokid wrote:
It's not bad. I've never been a really eloquent speaker though so people have trouble understanding it when I say it. Nothing wrong with the name itself though. I quite like it.

Edit: oh yeah. It's Aaron.

Named after the greatest QB who ever lived - Aaron Rodgers! You are blessed!

Who?

He's the fifth greatest Packer QB of all time, right behind Favre, Starr, Dickey, and Randy Wright.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hutterites have it right...

Dan
Dave
Chris
Paul
Gideon
James
John
Andy
Mike
Sam

Which in turns into Chris the mechanic, Chris the welder, Danny hogbarn, Andy the gardener, Andy the machinist, Gideon combines...

Well I think get the idea - the person becomes related to the job they do rather than the name they have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I just received an email from the university where my law school is located. It was from the new Vice President of University Relations asking for donations to the university. His name is Richard P. Virgin. Yep, that's right, Dick Virgin.

Quote Reply
Re: Like your name? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My father has a copy of this book that always made me laugh as a kid (still laugh when I see it when I go home). Though apparently Richard Bong was a badass.

Quote Reply
Re: Like your name? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my favorite places to camp and yes, this is the real sign. At the start of WWII, the federal government bought a huge parcel of land in south-central Wisconsin. The plans were to turn it into the world's largest air base. It would have dwarfed the current Air Force bases in the U.S. It got delayed, then funding was diverted. So, the land was turned into a recreational area and wildlife preserve named after Richard Bong. This sign in on I-94 near the WI/IL border and, growing up, used to make me crack up.

Quote Reply
Re: Like your name? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup yup. Grew up in Madison and have driven past (and recreated at, though only with alcohol) said area many times. Good stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Like your name? [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alibabwa wrote:
JSA wrote:
Funny. My son's girlfriend is named Alison (one L). My natural instinct is to use two Ls when writing her name. When I did that years ago when they first started dating, she would promptly correct me by saying "It's Alison, NOT ALL-i-son!"

She's a bitch, but that has nothing to do with her name ...

I used to do that, at least up until junior high then I got over it. My junior high and senior high were pretty multicultural, I lost the moral high ground when I couldn't spell my friend's Pakistani, Polish, Arabic, etc. names.

If people are writing down my name I tell them I'm "Alison-with-one-ell" as I know they'll misspell it.
Funny. I didn't really think about it until re reading this thread, but I have to spell my name for everybody. It's become, "Aaron, (pause,) a a r o n." It's been spelled Erin and Arron more times than I can count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelokid wrote:
Alibabwa wrote:
JSA wrote:

Funny. My son's girlfriend is named Alison (one L). My natural instinct is to use two Ls when writing her name. When I did that years ago when they first started dating, she would promptly correct me by saying "It's Alison, NOT ALL-i-son!"

I used to do that, at least up until junior high then I got over it. My junior high and senior high were pretty multicultural, I lost the moral high ground when I couldn't spell my friend's Pakistani, Polish, Arabic, etc. names.

If people are writing down my name I tell them I'm "Alison-with-one-ell" as I know they'll misspell it.

Funny. I didn't really think about it until re reading this thread, but I have to spell my name for everybody. It's become, "Aaron, (pause,) a a r o n." It's been spelled Erin and Arron more times than I can count.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Like your name? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Cervelokid wrote:
Alibabwa wrote:
JSA wrote:

Exactly. You'd think people would know how to spell it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelokid wrote:
It's not bad. I've never been a really eloquent speaker though so people have trouble understanding it when I say it. Nothing wrong with the name itself though. I quite like it.

Edit: oh yeah. It's Aaron.

Is it Aaron, or A-A Ron?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw
Quote Reply

Prev Next