Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no mention on the green pool...

Something I have noted just generally with the facilities so far - compared to Bejing, London and Sochi, they all see a bit thrown together and shabby. Down a couple of standards from the most recent Olympic Games.

Understandable when you consider the Brazilians have spent considerably less on these Games than previous hosts, and even at this level the expenses are crippling the country.

Maybe, at this time the IOC will get this that this ever expanding and ever more costly 2-week extravaganza can't keep going on like this.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Aug 10, 16 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Maybe, at this time the IOC will get this that this ever expanding and costly 2-week extravaganza can't keep going on like this.

You still believe in Santa Claus, don't you?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In not competing, but qualifying for the team finals, they denied another team the opportunity to do so, a team that was willing to compete.

That, to me, is a more compelling argument- if it turns out that it was premeditated, and not the result of stupidity. (I do find it difficult to believe that the Ukrainian gymnastic team doesn't know the rules about substituting athletes.)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe, at this time the IOC will get this that this ever expanding and costly 2-week extravaganza can't keep going on like this.

The IOC members did just fine with the Olympics. They have no incentive to change anything.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Something I have noted just generally with the facilities so far - compared to Bejing, London and Sochi, they all see a bit thrown together and shabby. Down a couple of standards from the most recent Olympic Games.

Understandable when you consider the Brazilians have spent considerably less on these Games than previous hosts, and even at this level the expenses are crippling the country.

Maybe, at this time the IOC will get this that this ever expanding and ever more costly 2-week extravaganza can't keep going on like this.

Not sure if specifically relate to this pool, but someone posted a link saying that Brazil have plans to disintegrate many of the newly build structure and reuse it else ware. Kind of like Modular structure. It will remain to be seen how many white elephants will be left, one that come to mind is the Arena de Amazonia in Manaus where there is no major soccer team in that area.
And as mentioned, the IOC will unlikely change anything. It will be up to some powerful nations and sponsors to maybe force a change.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
b4itwascold wrote:
the news keep coming.
Swedish tourists kidnapped, robbed and released unharmed on main road from north Rio to the Olympic village.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/...5d9dc9e6a3c7d634c531

And coming...http://www.cnn.com/...-rio-2016/index.html

And some more.
Judo medalist from Belgium almost robbed of his medal..
http://sports.yahoo.com/...beach-234727753.html
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter[b wrote:
]Perhaps today one of the pools will be yellow to symbolize the colors of the Brazilian flag.
[/b]
---
Well, most of the swimmers themselves are trying to help in this endeavor...

But it should not work as they suppose to be fully hydrated..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait until the swimmers on beet juice get in the water

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Not sure if specifically relate to this pool, but someone posted a link saying that Brazil have plans to disintegrate many of the newly build structure and reuse it else ware. Kind of like Modular structure. It will remain to be seen how many white elephants will be left, one that come to mind is the Arena de Amazonia in Manaus where there is no major soccer team in that area.
And as mentioned, the IOC will unlikely change anything. It will be up to some powerful nations and sponsors to maybe force a change.
This is why the IOC have no plans of changing anytime soon. https://www.washingtonpost.com/...s-collect/?tid=a_inl

Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Wait until the swimmers on beet juice get in the water

Beeturia next to swimmers on carrot juice could make an interesting lane coloring.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
I don't like the Rio tennis courts. It seems like there's an awful lot of dead space around the court, so the crowd is far away. I'm used to being able to see the crowd react. I wonder if the players like it more or less.

similar in the basketball court. Just saw the US beat Australia and you can hardly see the crowed. Maybe for security reasons. Australia gave the US a good fight, played physical but US only went 15 or so to the free line.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
b4itwascold wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Meanwhile tickets are still available for some events, interesting explanations.
http://edition.cnn.com/...6-tickets/index.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
travelmama wrote:
b4itwascold wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Meanwhile tickets are still available for some events, interesting explanations.
http://edition.cnn.com/...6-tickets/index.html
This is a shame in addition to the lomg lines people had to wait for some events, even missing them. The other day I saw there are tickets remaining for nearly every event of Paralympics, some damn near free of charge. Sad.

Quote | Reply
The other day I saw there are tickets remaining for nearly every event of Paralympics, some damn near free of charge. Sad.

Why is that sad?

Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
The other day I saw there are tickets remaining for nearly every event of Paralympics, some damn near free of charge. Sad.

Why is that sad?
It is sad because it is a loss of participating athlete support and it does not help support the local economy.

Quote | Reply
Um, if you say so. I don't get it.

Not sure how watching the paralympics supports the local economy, really. And yeah, I guess it reflects a lack of athlete support, but you know, them's the breaks. I personally don't have any interest in watching the paralympics. Most people don't. It's not sad, it's just the way it is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Um, if you say so. I don't get it.

Not sure how watching the paralympics supports the local economy, really. And yeah, I guess it reflects a lack of athlete support, but you know, them's the breaks. I personally don't have any interest in watching the paralympics. Most people don't. It's not sad, it's just the way it is.
Think about this, if people have tickets to attend an event, local businesses make money for a month, not just 18 days. My pount was not just about Paralympics but the games as a whole. Paralympics are the shit!!! Check out wheelchair basketball and wheelchair rugby in mid-September and see some hard ass athletes busting a move. It is incredible.

Quote | Reply
Think about this, if people have tickets to attend an event, local businesses make money for a month, not just 18 days.

I guess. Hotel rooms and such.

Check out wheelchair basketball and wheelchair rugby in mid-September and see some hard ass athletes busting a move. It is incredible.

Meh. I don't watch basketball to start with, and rugby is mostly a novelty to me- I watch occasionally if I happen to come across a game (match?) but I don't follow it regularly. More power to those who play in wheelchairs, but I am just not interested as a spectator.

I have noticed a lot of empty stands during these Olympics. Not sure if that's just the events I've been watching, or if it's always that way, or if it's because of the reported troubles in Rio, or what. (I watched the men's team archery with my kids, and there was NOBODY watching in the stands. I mean, I know it's archery, but it looked like their own mothers weren't interested enough to show up. They were competing in a ghost town.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently, the starting platform for the open water swimmers has collapsed and sunk.

http://www.smh.com.au/...utm_source=flipboard

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More green pool epic's
http://news.nationalpost.com/...of-visibility-issues

Can't even keep a pool clean. WTF.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching the track and field, it looks like they printed the numbers off the local inkjet printer on really cheap paper.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They had the bib numbers in sheet protectors for the equestrian events.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Watching the track and field, it looks like they printed the numbers off the local inkjet printer on really cheap paper.
Surely those cheap bibs did not slow down the Jamaican women from getting gold and bronze in the 100m. Jamaica is always a threat on the track. I would claim a DNS at the sight of them.

Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
I have noticed a lot of empty stands during these Olympics. Not sure if that's just the events I've been watching, or if it's always that way, or if it's because of the reported troubles in Rio, or what. (I watched the men's team archery with my kids, and there was NOBODY watching in the stands. I mean, I know it's archery, but it looked like their own mothers weren't interested enough to show up. They were competing in a ghost town.)

I first noticed that there was not too many people walking around outside. Then swimming a top event looked half empty. Gymnastic was about the same. Track looks looks completely empty.

Also, at the Olympic Stadium the seats are sooooooo far from the track. It looks like they could soccer fields side by side in the field.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

It does look somewhat sloppy. Maybe is made of a recycled paper (?).
The medals are made of recycled silver.
"More than 30 percent of the silver used in the production of the medals are recycled from mirrors, waste solders and X-ray plates. The gold is mined entirely free of mercury. More than 40 percent of the copper used in the production of the bronze medals came from the industrial waste of the Mint of Brazil through a process that was developed internally."
http://www.forbes.com/...-medal/#59dfb7be56f3

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...a659e4b0ba7ed23f501f
Quote Reply

Prev Next