Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
slowguy wrote:
travelmama wrote:
Womens soccer has begun with preliminary games.
Sweden 1- South Africa 0
Brazil 3- China 0
Canada 2- Australia 0
Germany 2- Zimbabwe 0 at half time
USA plays New Zeland in a few minutes time. Unfortunately Spectrum internet provider does not offer game coverage unless on subscribes to a bundle with television, which I do not have. Flippin' NBC!

Looks like the women will move on fairly easily. Interesting to hear the Brazilian crowd chanting Zika every time Solo touches the ball.

Ah, never mind from the other thread. I guess she said/posted some stuff that made her look paranoid. Kind of a stupid thing to chant IMO.

This will be considered overly polite in the soccer world (well at least men's soccer).
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking fwd for the opening ceremony...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...irector-reveals.html
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the news keep coming.
Swedish tourists kidnapped, robbed and released unharmed on main road from north Rio to the Olympic village.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/...5d9dc9e6a3c7d634c531
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
the news keep coming.
Swedish tourists kidnapped, robbed and released unharmed on main road from north Rio to the Olympic village.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/...5d9dc9e6a3c7d634c531
And coming...http://www.cnn.com/...-rio-2016/index.html

Quote | Reply
Russian diplomat expert in JJ pulls car jacker in to car and shoots him dead

Best story so far....
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the opening ceremony will be broadcast no live. Only 1 hr delay on the east cost (usa) but still. The network admitted it's because of commercials to be viewed by max people. Bob Costas said he does not understand what the big deal, it's only a ceremony (will have to endure this Costas "robot" for the whole games now?)
I wonder what other broadcasts will not be aired live.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Russian diplomat expert in JJ pulls car jacker in to car and shoots him dead

Best story so far....

"Believed to be a diplomat".
Russian diplomat Marcos Cesar Feres Braga disarmed and shot to death a man who attempted to rob him while he waited in traffic after the Olympic torch relay today, according to Globo
??

Edit: just saw it was mentioned in the other thread.
Last edited by: b4itwascold: Aug 5, 16 3:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW - The CBC in Canada will be showing the Opening Ceremonies tonight live and in full starting at 6:30pm EDT

Typical with NBC - it seems few if anything from The Olympics can be actually shown live!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On NBC tonight, on only 1 hr tape delay, witness the spectacle of the lighting of the Olympic cauldron (brought to you by Citronella).

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we're on schedule.

Brazil's former volleyball player Isabel Barroso Salgado, right, and Rio de Janeiro's Archbishop Orani Joao Tempesta hold the Olympic torch in front of the Christ the Redeemer statue on its way for the opening ceremony of Rio's 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Friday, Aug. 5, 2016. (AP Photo/Felipe Dana) The Associated Press
http://www.usnews.com/...summer-olympic-games

http://www.abc.net.au/...-flame-hopes/7692780
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moroccan woes, Brazilian woman, Boxer to miss the games.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/...he-athletes-village/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
Moroccan woes, Brazilian woman, Boxer to miss the games.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/...he-athletes-village/
Damn, I hope this story is not true.

Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
we're on schedule.

Brazil's former volleyball player Isabel Barroso Salgado, right, and Rio de Janeiro's Archbishop Orani Joao Tempesta hold the Olympic torch in front of the Christ the Redeemer statue on its way for the opening ceremony of Rio's 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Friday, Aug. 5, 2016. (AP Photo/Felipe Dana) The Associated Press
http://www.usnews.com/...summer-olympic-games

http://www.abc.net.au/...-flame-hopes/7692780
As I sit here listening to Azymuth, the anticipation is building for the opening ceremony. I have a feeling it will be superb (maybe not sd spectular as Beijing) but pretty damn festive. My only hope is that all five Olympic rings will illuminate, unlike what took place in Sochi in 2014.

Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have a feeling it will be superb..

I wouldn't hold my breath for success. I hope its good, but they already had to get the fire department to cut the locks for one of the soccer stadiums because they lost the keys. I'm not feeling super confident in their competence.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Es normal.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't hold my breath for success. I hope its good, but they already had to get the fire department to cut the locks for one of the soccer stadiums because they lost the keys. I'm not feeling super confident in their competence.
Success is relative as is my idea of the opening ceremony beig superb. With all of the problems Brazil has been facing in recent years, every little bit of nothing has been sensationalized. Not much of this has happened in previous Olympics. Rio hosting the first games in South America will do a good job because this is a big deal.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

Success is relative as is my idea of the opening ceremony beig superb. With all of the problems Brazil has been facing in recent years, every little bit of nothing has been sensationalized. Not much of this has happened in previous Olympics. Rio hosting the first games in South America will do a good job because this is a big deal.

I think/hope that it will be festive. Brazilian knows how to celebrate and party, they have been doing it every year. I hope that any logistical problems (if any) won't hinder the ceremony or any competition for this matter, and we will only read about it afterwards.
But again it's a shame how divided Brazil has become as a result of hosting it. Having said that I will still be watching the games but it's really won't be the same. For me some of "the thrill is gone" as the background noise is pretty loud, clear and can't be simply ignored.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/...nment-and-the-games/
Last edited by: b4itwascold: Aug 5, 16 10:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of Olympic woes, why is Johnny Weir still a thing, and why the hell is he part of the Summer Olympic broadcast team?

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Speaking of Olympic woes, why is Johnny Weir still a thing, and why the hell is he part of the Summer Olympic broadcast team?
To ask such a question indicates you have no clue about fashion. He and Lipinsky are the house fashion comics/critics who are making their summer debut in Rio.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:
To ask such a question indicates you have no clue about fashion. He and Lipinsky are the house fashion comics/critics who are making their summer debut in Rio.

Umm, so next question. Why the hell do we need a fashion team for the Olympic Games.

Oh, also, fuck you NBC. 5,4,3,2,1,...the Rio opening ceremonies begin, here's a commercial break.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NBC uses them for all their big events including the Kentucky Derby and the Winter Classic. Not that they add anything.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:

Umm, so next question. Why the hell do we need a fashion team for the Olympic Games.

Oh, also, fuck you NBC. 5,4,3,2,1,...the Rio opening ceremonies begin, here's a commercial break.
You next question was my first when I saw those two quasi clowns glittered up yesterday. The time wasted on their nonsense should be spent on the PARTICIPATING athletes, not those of the past.
I need a doggone userid and password so that I can watch the show now. I will surely be asleep by 9p tonight and miss most of it. Flipping NBC!

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:

You next question was my first when I saw those two quasi clowns glittered up yesterday. The time wasted on their nonsense should be spent on the PARTICIPATING athletes, not those of the past.
I need a doggone userid and password so that I can watch the show now. I will surely be asleep by 9p tonight and miss most of it. Flipping NBC!

You're mostly only missing commercials. We're 26 mins in and have already had 3 commercial breaks.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
NBC uses them for all their big events including the Kentucky Derby and the Winter Classic. Not that they add anything.
They don't add anything, just like a lot of the silly NBC journalists/reporters who are down there. E! sent down a crew of gossipers to ask questions about nothing. Is Andy Cohen taking the housewives down there to argue about who gets to step out in the highest heels while visiting Sugarloaf?

Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:

You're mostly only missing commercials. We're 26 mins in and have already had 3 commercial breaks.
http://mashable.com/...s-fail/#L9lji81Rl5qb
Parade is good but the first part was a mish-mash of stuff just like London did. The little bit of country history was excellent but
I think it should have lasted longer to really tell the tale. The last hour, I suspect will be 45 minutes of commercial breaks with Brazil enterering the arena in between. I need to find a way to get the South African live stream because NBC is a mess.

Prev Next