Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
I like the idea of some random island being bought by the IOC, a massive development effort to build up hotels, venues, supporting infrastructure (roads/transport), then using that as the host 'country' every 2 years and otherwise maintaining it as a tourist attraction, a giant park for visitors to ski/surf/run/bobsled/skate to their hearts content.

Watopia, yes?

Paris as a permanent Olympic venue would be cool, esp since they invested the modern day Olympics. London did a great job, with the new venues are still going concerns (do you still need to book to swim at the pool?) and the others were pop-up venues which were dismantled afterwards (Horseguards for beach volleyball for example)

Rio is turning into a very bad joke. At least Putin didn't have to bankrupt the state to hold his vanity project at Sochi.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is comedy.
http://gawker.com/...re-fucked-1782463214

Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

i think they should give give the summer games to greece indefinitely - or even just for the next 20 years.

-mike

Because the Greek economy is so robust and stable?

I would get all member nations to chip in for permanent facilities. As for why Greece, it's pretty obvious isn't it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

i think they should give give the summer games to greece indefinitely - or even just for the next 20 years.

-mike

Because the Greek economy is so robust and stable?

I would get all member nations to chip in for permanent facilities. As for why Greece, it's pretty obvious isn't it.

Once again... why would the other countries chip in if there's no economic benefit to them? So the USA is going to give Greece a billion dollars just because it's the Olympics? Reality doesn't work like that.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
This is comedy.http://gawker.com/...re-fucked-1782463214[/quote[/url]]

Blatant. I say tragic/comic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is another gem from Rio:

http://edition.cnn.com/...-security/index.html

"Rio police tell tourists they won't be able to protect them"
"The state's police officers vented their anger Monday with a sign saying, "Welcome to Hell," outside Rio's main airport. "Police and firefighters don't get paid, whoever comes to Rio de Janeiro will not be safe," the sign said."

On the other hand the official Rio Olympic site has a different massage:

https://www.olympic.org/...ead-of-olympic-games

"Michael Temer, Interim President of Brazil, says the host city has been transformed and is safe and ready to show its well-proven ability to host major international events."

Both are from the last 1-2 days. It is a comedy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
Here is another gem from Rio:

http://edition.cnn.com/...-security/index.html

"Rio police tell tourists they won't be able to protect them"
"The state's police officers vented their anger Monday with a sign saying, "Welcome to Hell," outside Rio's main airport. "Police and firefighters don't get paid, whoever comes to Rio de Janeiro will not be safe," the sign said."

On the other hand the official Rio Olympic site has a different massage:

https://www.olympic.org/...ead-of-olympic-games

"Michael Temer, Interim President of Brazil, says the host city has been transformed and is safe and ready to show its well-proven ability to host major international events."

Both are from the last 1-2 days. It is a comedy.
The IOC is the biggest joker around now. Just because the elected officials who are constantly surrounded by security feel safe at the time of visit, what about the rest of the visitors? For as crazy as the entire situation is and has been, I am really looking forward to the Paralympics in September because the sports are much more interesting to me.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
I think the IOC should allow consideration to cities that can actually handle the venues with too much more to build and that will be useful to communities afterward.

There is very little use for many of the Olympic venues for communities afterwards. There just isn't lasting interest in velodromes, short white water kayak courses, etc. That's why so many of these cities have Olympic venues that just sit and rot afterwards. That's why picking one place and using the facilities over and over might make more sense.

I agree and think of all the past hosting cities, Los Angeles is the best.

Pigs bum
Sydney, home of the best olympics ever!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's June less that 2 months before the games start and Brazil still have organizational issues.
https://www.theguardian.com/...y-olympic-games-2016

This has become standard fare now in the run-up to all recent Olympic Games - with the possible exception of Beijing.

With Brazil the situation does seem more acute than in the past - the political and economic situation in Brazil, probably leading to a lot of the problems.

Hosting the Olympic Games and the World Cup of Soccer are massive, and massively expensive under-takings. Recent studies have shown that no matter how you slice it or dice it, no matter what positive spin the IOC/FIFA and the local politicians and proponents put on it, these sports events are a net economic negative for the host country/region.

What would be better going forward for both FIFA and the IOC, is to do one of two things:

1. Go back to previous hosts that have all the facilities and infrastructure in place.

2. Only go to countries like China, that because of it's non-democratic and totalitarian government, it can just wave a magic wand and make everything just perfect! Cost be damned

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
What would be better going forward for both FIFA and the IOC, is to do one of two things:

1. Go back to previous hosts that have all the facilities and infrastructure in place.

2. Only go to countries like China, that because of it's non-democratic and totalitarian government, it can just wave a magic wand and make everything just perfect! Cost be damned

For the world cup, this is an easier undertaking, since you'd just have to lower the bar to which they'd accept a passable stadium. Most of the competitive countries probably have the requisite 5-6 stadiums already in place since those same countries usually have a home league. Ok - so you'd probably need more stadiums than this, and you'd really need to lower the bar in terms of size/quality, but its doable. You're favouring Europe and the Americas if you do this, but if you don't need the shiny new stadium in the middle of nowhere that will never get used again, its doable.

For the Olympics, you're right - its probably former hosts and the odd totalitarian regime who could still pull it off. How after all - how many cities, let alone countries, have a world class swim venue within driving distance of a world class velodrome? Perhaps the solution here is just to allow countries to host, rather than cities while also lowering the bar in terms of facility quality.

Or maybe just add a sustainability criterion to the selection process. Host cities lose points if they blow a ton of money on a stadium in the middle of nowhere? In order to host, you need to prove how these facilities will continue to be used long after the Olympics have come and gone...
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Fleck wrote:

For the world cup, this is an easier undertaking, since you'd just have to lower the bar to which they'd accept a passable stadium. Most of the competitive countries probably have the requisite 5-6 stadiums already in place since those same countries usually have a home league. Ok - so you'd probably need more stadiums than this, and you'd really need to lower the bar in terms of size/quality, but its doable. You're favouring Europe and the Americas if you do this, but if you don't need the shiny new stadium in the middle of nowhere that will never get used again, its doable.

For the Olympics, you're right - its probably former hosts and the odd totalitarian regime who could still pull it off. How after all - how many cities, let alone countries, have a world class swim venue within driving distance of a world class velodrome? Perhaps the solution here is just to allow countries to host, rather than cities while also lowering the bar in terms of facility quality.

Or maybe just add a sustainability criterion to the selection process. Host cities lose points if they blow a ton of money on a stadium in the middle of nowhere? In order to host, you need to prove how these facilities will continue to be used long after the Olympics have come and gone...

Why the hell does the IOC care if the city can afford it or if they will properly use the facility afterwards? All they care about is that the job gets done, it is not their concern how it is paid for or if it is practical long term.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
It's June less that 2 months before the games start and Brazil still have organizational issues.
https://www.theguardian.com/...y-olympic-games-2016

This has become standard fare now in the run-up to all recent Olympic Games - with the possible exception of Beijing.

With Brazil the situation does seem more acute than in the past - the political and economic situation in Brazil, probably leading to a lot of the problems.

Hosting the Olympic Games and the World Cup of Soccer are massive, and massively expensive under-takings. Recent studies have shown that no matter how you slice it or dice it, no matter what positive spin the IOC/FIFA and the local politicians and proponents put on it, these sports events are a net economic negative for the host country/region.

There were some good arguments in the thread in favor of having one location for the Olympics, weather it be Greece or somewhere else. Lot have agreed that's the way to go (but unlikely to happen).
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
timbasile wrote:
Fleck wrote:

For the world cup, this is an easier undertaking, since you'd just have to lower the bar to which they'd accept a passable stadium. Most of the competitive countries probably have the requisite 5-6 stadiums already in place since those same countries usually have a home league. Ok - so you'd probably need more stadiums than this, and you'd really need to lower the bar in terms of size/quality, but its doable. You're favoring Europe and the Americas if you do this, but if you don't need the shiny new stadium in the middle of nowhere that will never get used again, its doable.

Why the hell does the IOC care if the city can afford it or if they will properly use the facility afterwards? All they care about is that the job gets done, it is not their concern how it is paid for or if it is practical long term.

There were 12 stadiums in Brazil and same number are planned in Russia. I think SA had only 10 (not sure). Let's talk about Brazil (a soccer super power). While they had some stadiums in place they all needed to be renovated. They had to build few more totally new studious. The cost was estimated a 3 billions dollars. I clearly remember the outrage of the new stadium they build in the northwest jungle are - Manaus. There is no major soccer team there! I don't know how much and if they lowered the bar but I suspect you are underestimating the significance of undertaking of a world cup.
I found an article from last year.
http://www.businessinsider.com/...ne-year-later-2015-5

edit: 7(!) new stadiums, 5 renovated in 12 cities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/...IFA_World_Cup_venues

no doubt it is adding to this Olympics burden on Brazil, and people are angry.

On the bright side, Brazil will host the Copa America in 2019 so they already have the necessary infrastructure in place (maybe more than what they will need).

I do agree that the complexity level of hosting the Olympic games are much higher.

Edit: response meant to the previous poster.
Last edited by: b4itwascold: Jul 8, 16 12:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Wall.

Quote | Reply
It's a good video. I like the part where they have a clear wall as you drive past the brand new school but concrete when you go by the slums.

Just reinforces how the IOC are a joke. The corrupt bidding process, the money spent on facilities that will end up sitting vacant and the incredible amounts of money spent while ignoring many of the residents again shows the value in having a single host.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Open water swim anyone?
Dope your lives away, nobody cares.
Four weeks left and all is good to go for the world to see the truth. I can only imagine the commentators will point out the factoids that lead up to this international disaster rather than focusing on the athletes.

Quote | Reply
the biggest irony on all of this fiasco, is that these Olympic games just illuminate and highlights all of Brazil's illnesses and problems as a country. A oppose to promote and enhance it. I think Rio set a new higher bar here with these Olympics.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
It's a good video. I like the part where they have a clear wall as you drive past the brand new school but concrete when you go by the slums.

Just reinforces how the IOC are a joke. The corrupt bidding process, the money spent on facilities that will end up sitting vacant and the incredible amounts of money spent while ignoring many of the residents again shows the value in having a single host.

Just reminded me of a documentary I saw couple of years ago about the Sochi winter games. They interviewed an old couple that were simply moved out of their home since it was in the way of some construction going on. I found this link in this context:
http://www.rferl.org/...-sochi/25191988.html
while searching couldn't resist this one.
http://www.nytimes.com/...i-olympics-2014.html

Reminds me of the tale "The Emperor New Clothes" by Hans Christian Andersen. Nobody dares to say anything until a kid points to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
the biggest irony on all of this fiasco, is that these Olympic games just illuminate and highlights all of Brazil's illnesses and problems as a country. A oppose to promote and enhance it. I think Rio set a new higher bar here with these Olympics.
Check out the video on the Paralympics site. The venues are stacked and appear to be on an island of their own. Also, though the games begin in less than a month, no actually images are yet shown. Bizarre.
https://m.paralympic.org/rio-2016

Quote | Reply
So the Paralympics have a separate venue? I thought the whole point of having the Para's in the same city was to take advantage of the new infrastructure. Bizarre.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
So the Paralympics have a separate venue? I thought the whole point of having the Para's in the same city was to take advantage of the new infrastructure. Bizarre.
No, you are right, both games are held at the same venues. I saw the video on the Paralympics site and it very well may be on the Olympics site too.
If you want a good laugh, watch this one.

Quote | Reply
The kids from the Favelas have been an issue in Brazil for many years. Did you see the movie 'city of God"?
It was known that the police were simply killing them for years. This was the case before the world cup in 2014 and possibly now. I am not taking sides but it's tragic that this problem is increasing while they host those big events.

https://www.amnesty.org/...olympics-have-begun/

Let's concentrate on the positives per this WSJ article:
http://www.wsj.com/...-olympics-1467921052

note: "a new downtown......NBA players, who will be staying on a ship in the port, are expected to make regular appearances"
Last edited by: b4itwascold: Jul 10, 16 11:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
The kids from the Favelas have been an issue in Brazil for many years. Did you see the movie 'city of God"?
It was known that the police were simply killing them for years. This was the case before the world cup in 2014 and possibly now. I am not taking sides but it's tragic that this problem is increasing while they host those big events.

https://www.amnesty.org/...olympics-have-begun/

Let's concentrate on the positives per this WSJ article:
http://www.wsj.com/...-olympics-1467921052

note: "a new downtown......NBA players, who will be staying on a ship in the port, are expected to make regular appearances"

I clearly remember police officers killing street kids just to rid the streets of them however, only a few were given sentences for murder. This video is telling of the crime and theft amongst street kids (who wear white flip flops):

Last edited by: travelmama: Jul 10, 16 12:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the kids in that video are all carrying empty water bottles and sniffing glue it looks like.

If you notice they all shake them then put it to their nose. I'm assuming it's glue or something in there that they are huffing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems as though it might still be happening.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/...killings-409358.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next