Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
I think the IOC should allow consideration to cities that can actually handle the venues with too much more to build and that will be useful to communities afterward.

There is very little use for many of the Olympic venues for communities afterwards. There just isn't lasting interest in velodromes, short white water kayak courses, etc. That's why so many of these cities have Olympic venues that just sit and rot afterwards. That's why picking one place and using the facilities over and over might make more sense.

I agree and think of all the past hosting cities, Los Angeles is the best.

The 2010 Winter games in Vancouver were quite successful, but I think Vancouver would actually be better suited for the summer games.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BUT... who's paying for it? The Greeks sure as fuck can't and won't.

Since hosting the Olympics would benefit Greece every 4 years, and they would use Greek labour, contractors etc., they would have to pay the lion's share of costs but other countries around the world could help, particularly with maintenance and upkeep.

It makes perfect sense to keep them in 1 country every year.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Jun 18, 16 11:41
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is absolutely no fucking way the United States would be chosen as a permanent host. Most of Europe and Asia would bitch and moan and be Uber butthurt
----------------
Then let them pay for it. I wonder what country put in the most $$$$$ when you consider TV rights etc......

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
Wasn't there one Olympics with a death trap of a veledrome? Like a bumpy, concrete track where several riders careered off over the top? Though I guess they didn't get Zika.
No, that was a public bike path along the waterfront that collapsed killing two or three and injuring a few. The velodrome is more in land.

No it was definitely a velodrome because I remember seeing old footage. Might not have been an olympics come to think of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
The news about Russia is real juice, pun intended. That country is a mess and should be banned for all of the ass backward stuff they do. I heard today that some athletes may be allowed to compete providing they are found clean and finish training i. Other countries. The games will be very interesting.

They where awarded the 2018 world cup, which is a huge event as you know, on some levels like the Olympics.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
i've been wondering about rio too. lots of doping hanging over the games, massive (domestic) political crisis in brazil, zika, and i think rio's just declared a state of emergency. hopefully things come together OK, but it's got the makings of a gongshow.

i think they should give give the summer games to greece indefinitely - or even just for the next 20 years.
-mike

The world cup in SA similar headlines, and the games went on. Rio will get the money somehow and the games will go on. But the cost is too high. Even Canada, a well developed country (only in the LR not), I read somewhere it tool them 30 years to dig themselves out of the Olympic hole.
Sure having it in Greece is a big prize for them. Other than having it in one location I can only think of countries jointly hosting the games.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
BUT... who's paying for it? The Greeks sure as fuck can't and won't.

Since hosting the Olympics would benefit Greece every 4 years, and they would use Greek labour, contractors etc., they would have to pay the lion's share of costs but other countries around the world could help, particularly with maintenance and upkeep.

It makes perfect sense to keep them in 1 country every year.

Maybe someone mentioned this article but it makes the most sense for me, games played in the same place while supporting other cases too. Brilliant.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/...me-place-every-time/

"We could handpick architects and designers who specialize in sustainability and responsive architecture. These state-of-the-art green buildings could offer a model of sustainable urbanism to a wider world. The same site would also standardize the sporting element, providing a stable setting and climate against which to benchmark athletic performances over time."
Last edited by: b4itwascold: Jun 18, 16 17:20
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
I think the IOC should allow consideration to cities that can actually handle the venues with too much more to build and that will be useful to communities afterward.

There is very little use for many of the Olympic venues for communities afterwards. There just isn't lasting interest in velodromes, short white water kayak courses, etc. That's why so many of these cities have Olympic venues that just sit and rot afterwards. That's why picking one place and using the facilities over and over might make more sense.

The 2010 Winter games in Vancouver were quite successful, but I think Vancouver would actually be better suited for the summer games.
You are right about the winter games held in Vancouver. I think in recent games, Vancouver and Utah did the best financially because many of the venues already existed. Vancouver may be a great city for the summer games too but LA is much bigger and nothing more need building. The only big expenses LA would face are retro fitting some venues and housing the homeless for a month.

Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
travelmama wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
Wasn't there one Olympics with a death trap of a veledrome? Like a bumpy, concrete track where several riders careered off over the top? Though I guess they didn't get Zika.
No, that was a public bike path along the waterfront that collapsed killing two or three and injuring a few. The velodrome is more in land.

No it was definitely a velodrome because I remember seeing old footage. Might not have been an olympics come to think of it.
This is what recently happened in Rio. http://www.bbc.com/...tin-america-36106308

Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
travelmama wrote:
The news about Russia is real juice, pun intended. That country is a mess and should be banned for all of the ass backward stuff they do. I heard today that some athletes may be allowed to compete providing they are found clean and finish training i. Other countries. The games will be very interesting.

They where awarded the 2018 world cup, which is a huge event as you know, on some levels like the Olympics.

And so was Qatar and the world knows what is going on there. Both countrie$ were the $ame $hoes. 2018 will be interesting if Russia does not qualify.

Last edited by: travelmama: Jun 18, 16 18:20
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
i've been wondering about rio too. lots of doping hanging over the games, massive (domestic) political crisis in brazil, zika, and i think rio's just declared a state of emergency. hopefully things come together OK, but it's got the makings of a gongshow.

i think they should give give the summer games to greece indefinitely - or even just for the next 20 years.
-mike

The world cup in SA similar headlines, and the games went on. Rio will get the money somehow and the games will go on. But the cost is too high. Even Canada, a well developed country (only in the LR not), I read somewhere it tool them 30 years to dig themselves out of the Olympic hole.
Sure having it in Greece is a big prize for them. Other than having it in one location I can only think of countries jointly hosting the games.

You think Quebec politicians are less corrupt than Brazilians... That's funny right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They where awarded the 2018 world cup, which is a huge event as you know, on some levels like the Olympics.[/quote]
And so was Qatar and the world knows what is going on there. Both countrie$ were the $ame $hoes. 2018 will be interesting if Russia does not qualify.[/quote]

I thought host country qualifies automatically, isn't it?
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics [b4itwascold] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
b4itwascold wrote:

And so was Qatar and the world knows what is going on there. Both countrie$ were the $ame $hoes. 2018 will be interesting if Russia does not qualify.[/quote]

I thought host country qualifies automatically, isn't it?[/quote]You are right. They are given placement. I still wonder how it will all pan out. I am sure the Russian government will gift its players if amdvancements amd/or goals made.

Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

-mike

Because the Greek economy is so robust and stable?

"The very recent Greek crisis provides an opportunity. The Greeks are in hock to around $271 billion to all official lenders. The government in Athens has agreed to transfer state assets of $80 billion to an independent fund. How about selling a permanent site in Greece for the Summer Olympics? An uninhabited island would be ideal, not too far from the coast accessible by ferries as well as planes.
The sale will allow an international zone to be created, provide desperately needed revenue to Greece, some relief for debtors while the necessary construction happens and could help to stimulate the Greek economy. Having a permanent site for the summer Olympics would also return the Games to their historic birthplace, and dispense with the fiscal insanity of cities overbidding for the Summer Olympics leaving themselves with debts and underused infrastructure."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

You are right about the winter games held in Vancouver. I think in recent games, Vancouver and Utah did the best financially because many of the venues already existed. Vancouver may be a great city for the summer games too but LA is much bigger and nothing more need building. The only big expenses LA would face are retro fitting some venues and housing the homeless for a month.

If they pick one place to have it, it will never be in the US. Take LA off your list.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
travelmama wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

If they pick one place to have it, it will never be in the US. Take LA off your list.
Only the IOC knows this, not us mere spectators.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:
travelmama wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

Only the IOC knows this, not us mere spectators.

It's just politics. Russia, China, the Middle Eastern countries, plus plenty of Europe would all strenuously object to it being anywhere in the US, probably even in North America although nobody really hates Canada.

That's one of the reasons Greece is a good option. They're small enough that they aren't in a power position, and so nobody really cares.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
b4itwascold wrote:
travelmama wrote:

And so was Qatar and the world knows what is going on there. Both countrie$ were the $ame $hoes. 2018 will be interesting if Russia does not qualify.

Host automatically qualifies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
travelmama wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

Actually, aside from the two arenas, I don't think Vancouver had many facilities for the Olympics. The speed skating oval was new, the Olympic park at Whistler was, I believe, new, or redone. An absolutely massive, twisting, precarious length of highway through the mountains to Whistler was completely re-done, the entire, sprawling Olympic village development was new, etc. The hotels and tourism infrastructure was there in Whistler and Vancouver, but, most of the venues were new.

Here in Victoria, we hosted the Commonwealth games in '94. Those games were smaller scale then, but we still built a very large (for the time) pool facility, velodrome, new track at the University, etc. Everything that was built for those games (minus the velodrome, which struggles to stay open) has more then paid for itself. The tracks are used by the University, the pool is still the city's major recreation centre, etc.

I look at situations like Sochi, where an entire resort town and venues were built to host the games, and are now a ghost village, and just shake my head.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
travelmama wrote:
mv2005 wrote:

This is what recently happened in Rio. http://www.bbc.com/...tin-america-36106308

In this day and age, that is a disgrace. Both the Contractor and govt department officials responsible should serve time. There's a good reason the lowest bid should automatically be thrown out. Corners have been cut somewhere. The question is how significant those corners are.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://distractify.com/...ic-venues-1197627259

What a waste of money, also do we really need to still have the Olympics?
Last edited by: triathlete37: Jun 19, 16 8:50
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
travelmama wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

-mike

Why Greece? That country is just as corrupt amd in financial shambles as is Brazil. The IOC should award cities that can actually handle in the games. Cities that already have venues that can be used and hotels that can occupy masses of spectators. The games always leave cities amd countries in more than imaginable debt. Los Angeles with its maddedning traffic is the only city worth having the summer games because so much is already hear and wont go to waste. If I am not mistaken no city has yet to break even by hosting any games.

well, the greeks invented it. and they've hosted recently, so they already have the machinery in place. they have a pretty robust tourist sector, so that's in place. economy sucks? yes. but the games could bring in some $.

if you look at the way things are going, wealthy, stable democracies don't want the games any more. there have been a handful of places recently that have actually voted against holding them: Toronto, Boston, Hamburg, etc. it's far, far too wasteful to rebuild the entire games infrastructure from scratch every 2 years, and increasingly the only countries who are willing and able to are non-democratic.
-mike

I think there are plenty of capable countries willing to host the Olympics. I'd imagine most of the recent venues would be happy to have their infrastructure re-used. I think London made a pretty good job of the last games, and there's been no noticeable bitching about the cost which turned out to be fairly modest compared with the previous one in China.

France would host the games in the blink of an eye given the chance. I think the issue for many less developed countries is that hosting the Olympics is a massive opportunity for the ruling elites to make a lot of money out of all the government contracts that get awarded. In somewhere like London or Paris where most of the infrastructure already exists, there's less scope for corruption.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I echo what Nobbie has said about London and Paris both being able to host the Olympics at fairly short notice and would also add Seoul - I was there on business in a few years ago and they have preserved and still use most of the facilities (after nearly 30 years) and seem proud of their Olympic legacy. London looks to be doing the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:
http://distractify.com/...ic-venues-1197627259

What a waste of money, also do we really need to still have the Olympics?
Agreed, and yes. I love the idea of the Olympics, just hate the way it's become corrupted and over-commercialized. And that's the reason why all this talk of one venue year after year is hilarious: there is zero-point-zero chance the IOC would ever agree to it, too much money in their present, corrupt system. And really, half the IOC governing body would disappear as soon as a one-host system were implemented, it's a bloated, political, corrupted group that spends half their time collecting fees and analyzing bids and half their time squeezing every last dollar out of commercial rights and organizing development. If they established one host country and got the infrastructure in place what would that massive governing body be responsible for?

I like the idea of some random island being bought by the IOC, a massive development effort to build up hotels, venues, supporting infrastructure (roads/transport), then using that as the host 'country' every 2 years and otherwise maintaining it as a tourist attraction, a giant park for visitors to ski/surf/run/bobsled/skate to their hearts content.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio Olympics Woes [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a waste of money, also do we really need to still have the Olympics?[/quote]
Agreed, and yes. I love the idea of the Olympics, just hate the way it's become corrupted and over-commercialized. And that's the reason why all this talk of one venue year after year is hilarious: there is zero-point-zero chance the IOC would ever agree to it, too much money in their present, corrupt system. And really, half the IOC governing body would disappear as soon as a one-host system were implemented, it's a bloated, political, corrupted group that spends half their time collecting fees and analyzing bids and half their time squeezing every last dollar out of commercial rights and organizing development. If they established one host country and got the infrastructure in place what would that massive governing body be responsible for?

I like the idea of some random island being bought by the IOC, a massive development effort to build up hotels, venues, supporting infrastructure (roads/transport), then using that as the host 'country' every 2 years and otherwise maintaining it as a tourist attraction, a giant park for visitors to ski/surf/run/bobsled/skate to their hearts content.[/quote]

I think you summed it pretty well. There is a solution but it's unlikely to happen. IOC (and FIFA for that matter) are organization runs by committees but zero leadership.
Quote Reply

Prev Next