Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ebola hits NYC [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Just picked up one of these. I'm good to go…

If you wore that, people would be able to see you're nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we will need to quarantine until we understand how the virus is being transmitted. With the exception of Duncan, none of the other patients had direct contact with bodily fluids. One of the patients had no known contact with any ebola patients- so I think we need to be cautious until the modes of transmission are more well understood.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which patient had no contact?

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
which patient had no contact?

Nancy writebol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh you mean the woman that didn't wear a mask (leaving eyes, mucosa and skin exposed) while helping folks who were working with late stage ebola de-gown? Gee - wonder how she could have been exposed?

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Running mom wrote:
This whole ebola thing would not be such a big deal if people used just a tiny bit of logic and common sense. But - sigh, this is not possible.

You mean like by fretting over people going about their business when the probability of infecting someone else appears to be very low?

You have to measure both the chances of transmission and the results of infection.

Good point but I'll say what I said earlier if there is no transmission there is no result of the infection. At least so far it appears that casual even intimate contact with a person doesn't transmit the virus very easily, it takes the person being pretty sick.

I'm sure it's no walk in the park and I would imagine there could be long term consequences, but we seem to be doing a pretty good job of keeping infected people alive. I'm not sure how many have been treated so far, but I think the only one who has died is the Liberian and there was even some suggestion if he had been treated more competently he may have lived. I would think the mortality rates here are going to be drastically lower than they are in west Africa.

My understanding is that, even if you live, your body is wrecked from Ebola. It isn't like the flu, where you just go back to normal. Again, my understanding is that Ebola permanent wrecks your organs, the degree to which varies. In addition, sustaining a 103+ fever for long periods of time does permanent damage to your organs. So, it isn't just about living or dying. You get it and you will never be the same.

Again, I am not asking for a quarantine of everyone who treats Ebola patients. But, I firmly believe it is reasonable to take the position that anyone who actually goes over to Africa to treat Ebola patients must be assumed to be infected. The safeguards over there are like the ones we have over here (and, hell, it doesn't appear our higher level safeguards are perfectly effective). Thus, a 21 day quarantine of those individuals is quite reasonable.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Oh you mean the woman that didn't wear a mask (leaving eyes, mucosa and skin exposed) while helping folks who were working with late stage ebola de-gown? Gee - wonder how she could have been exposed?

My understanding is that she never came in direct contact with any of those items. Correct me if I am wrong.

Writebol had been recruited from SIM’s main offices where she’d welcomed new missionaries and helped their families get settled in. David was running the facility, ensuring lights and plumbing worked.
“My responsibility originally was I was going to mix the bleach solutions,” Writebol said. She ended up helping doctors and nurses suit up before they entered the isolation unit, and then helped them remove the suits correctly when they came out.
It’s a vital job — the layers of gloves, the goggles, the boots, the body suits all protect workers from the virus-laden bodily fluids that spread infection. But all that protection does no good if the doctors and nurses get even a few drops of that contaminated mess on their hands or skin, or in their eyes, as they pull the gear off.
Nancy helped spray everyone down, get the layers off in the right order and then made sure everything got either burned or disinfected.
“I was considered to be in a low-risk zone,” she said. “There was a line, an actual line on the floor that I didn’t cross. When they came out and I decontaminated them, I never touched them. I was wearing a gown, I was wearing gloves, and sometimes I was wearing a mask, but not all the time.” But she always had a gown and gloves on. “There was never a fear that I would be contaminated.”
http://www.nbcnews.com/...d-say-was-we-n194361

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running mom wrote:
My understanding is that contrary to all scientific evidence and, you know, logic - they have decided to keep him in the nations most densely populated city to be cared for by people who have exactly zero experience caring for an ebola patient. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Questions: Unlike the nurses in Dallas, these ladies will not walk from work to their self-contained cars, to go to their own personal residences. They will come off the unit and, most likely, get on a bus or subway coming into contact with, who knows, thousands of people before arriving home. So - will they still be wearing their same uniforms that they have worn while taking care of the ebola patient? Will they change and/or shower? Or do they just hop off shift and head out the door? Will they self- quarantine? It is obviously not possible for a nurse who has no experience caring for an ebola patient to inadvertently get virus on herself while taking off the protective gear - right? and then sit with that contaminated clothing on busses, subways taxis... yah. this is a great idea.

This whole ebola thing would not be such a big deal if people used just a tiny bit of logic and common sense. But - sigh, this is not possible.

Gosh, why didn't they think of practicing their protocols beforehand? Perhaps you should email the hospital and give your advice on how they should handle ebola cases; I'm sure they haven't thought it through nearly enough.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Running mom wrote:
My understanding is that contrary to all scientific evidence and, you know, logic - they have decided to keep him in the nations most densely populated city to be cared for by people who have exactly zero experience caring for an ebola patient. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Questions: Unlike the nurses in Dallas, these ladies will not walk from work to their self-contained cars, to go to their own personal residences. They will come off the unit and, most likely, get on a bus or subway coming into contact with, who knows, thousands of people before arriving home. So - will they still be wearing their same uniforms that they have worn while taking care of the ebola patient? Will they change and/or shower? Or do they just hop off shift and head out the door? Will they self- quarantine? It is obviously not possible for a nurse who has no experience caring for an ebola patient to inadvertently get virus on herself while taking off the protective gear - right? and then sit with that contaminated clothing on busses, subways taxis... yah. this is a great idea.

Gosh, why didn't they think of practicing their protocols beforehand? Perhaps you should email the hospital and give your advice on how they should handle ebola cases; I'm sure they haven't thought it through nearly enough.

I'm not entirely sure why you are bagging on her, so, perhaps you can explain. I mentioned earlier in this thread, and in another thread, that my old Army unit (very old, going back to my enlisted days prior to the JAG Corps) was recently sent over to Liberia. They trained for weeks before deploying. When I was in that unit, during Desert Storm, we assumed bio and chem attacks and, as the pointing end of the spear, we were expected to be the first to encounter and/or have to remove same. We rehearsed that shit day in and day out. Do you really think civilian hospitals have done anything like this? I do not believe the medical community in generally fully understands Ebola yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:

Yes - she had no known direct contact with any symptomatic ebola patients or their bodily fluids. She was exposed to the asymptomatic healthcare workers caring for these patients. A mask should not be necessary to observe a worker de-gown if the disease is not airborne - but again - I really feel we don't have a great understanding about what is going on with transmission. Could she have touched an infected surface? Could it have somehow gotten from a contaminated gown and into her mouth or eyeball with no direct contact? If so, how? The notion that her main exposure was only to asymptomatic healthcare workers treating to symptomatic ebola patients is concerning given that we are about to have a whole bunch of healthcare workers treating a symptomatic ebola patient exiting Bellevue- onto the streets of New York city - at the end of their shifts. I have heard nothing about how these nurses will be decontaminated before exiting the hospital.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
Running mom wrote:
My understanding is that contrary to all scientific evidence and, you know, logic - they have decided to keep him in the nations most densely populated city to be cared for by people who have exactly zero experience caring for an ebola patient. I mean, what could
possibly go wrong?

I'm not entirely sure why you are bagging on her, so, perhaps you can explain. I mentioned earlier in this thread, and in another thread, that my old Army unit (very old, going back to my enlisted days prior to the JAG Corps) was recently sent over to Liberia. They trained for weeks before deploying. When I was in that unit, during Desert Storm, we assumed bio and chem attacks and, as the pointing end of the spear, we were expected to be the first to encounter and/or have to remove same. We rehearsed that shit day in and day out. Do you really think civilian hospitals have done anything like this? I do not believe the medical community in generally fully understands Ebola yet.

NYC hospitals aren't run by newbie healthcare providers. "running mom" said "to be cared for by people who have exactly zero experience caring for an ebola patient". Nonsense.

Quote:
Emergency medical workers, wearing full personal protective gear, rushed to Dr. Spencer’s apartment, on West 147th Street. He was transported to Bellevue and arrived shortly after 1 p.m.
He was placed in a special isolation unit and is being seen by the designated medical critical care team. Team members wear personal protective equipment with undergarment air ventilation systems.
Bellevue doctors have been preparing to deal with an Ebola patient with numerous drills and tests as well as actual treatment of suspected cases that turned out to be false alarms.

This whole thread betrays such fear and ignorance. How many non-healthcare providers have become infected in the US? Exactly zero. You are far more likely to catch the gay than Ebola.

An interesting factoid that might help keep things in perspective:

"Africa is full of overcrowded public transport — buses, minivans and some trains. There are no known instances of transmission in those environments. On July 20, a dying Liberian-American flew to Nigeria and was vomiting on the plane. All 200 people aboard were monitored; none fell ill."

The physician infected in NYC had only a low grade fever: 100.3, not 103 as earlier reported. (I'm sure someone here will say that the CDC is just lying about that). He was not out and about with any of the typical symptoms that would indicate he was anywhere near being contagious.

As for "wrecking your organs": if you are treated reasonably early, as have everyone in this country except patient zero, you won't have anything like that:

Quote:
Medical experts say most people who manage to recover from an acute Ebola infection will likely be able to return to their life and resume normal activities. But unfortunately, Ebola survivors do often develop certain chronic inflammatory conditions that affect the joints and eyes, problems that can follow a survivor through the remainder of their life. Dr. Amar Safdar, associate professor of infectious diseases and immunology at NYU Langone Medical Center, told CBS News these chronic conditions are a result of the body's immune response.
He said Ebola survivors are at risk for arthralgia, a type of joint and bone pain that can feel similar to arthritis. Ebola survivors also frequently report complications with eyes and vision, an inflammatory condition known as uveitis which can cause excess tearing, eye sensitivity, eye inflammation and even blindness.

If you aren't treated early, you typically die.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
Running mom wrote:

I'm just saying - we have centers (Emory/NIH etc.) for this- Experienced nurses with proven track records. People who have been specifically trained on units specifically designed for this. Why would we not use them?
Last edited by: Running mom: Oct 24, 14 8:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"running mom" said "to be cared for by people who have exactly zero experience caring for an ebola patient". Nonsense.

Well considering this is the very first Ebola patient in NYC the odds are, that unless they ship people in WITH experience that in fact it makes complete logical sense that indeed the patient is being cared for by people that have zero experience caring for an Ebola Patient. In fact not nonsense, but completely sensible and logical. Now you might make the argument that a person doesn't need such experience...but then again we had not one, but two nurses without such experience end up getting infected in Dallas.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you think the clusterfuck going on in NYC right now is better than just isolating for a couple weeks people who have been bathing in Ebola in Africa?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
So you think the clusterfuck going on in NYC right now is better than just isolating for a couple weeks people who have been bathing in Ebola in Africa?

How many logical fallacies can you cram into one question?

Tell me how having one physician who came down with Ebola, notified authorities as soon as he became slightly symptomatic and before he became contagious, and was isolated promptly by professionals who have been training for this for quite a while, qualifies as a clusterfuck. They aren't overreacting by cleaning the bowling alley, they haven't shut down the subways, they haven't quarantined the Uber driver and the everyone who might have ridden in the care...

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Running mom wrote:

You mean like by fretting over people going about their business when the probability of infecting someone else appears to be very low?

You have to measure both the chances of transmission and the results of infection.

Good point but I'll say what I said earlier if there is no transmission there is no result of the infection. At least so far it appears that casual even intimate contact with a person doesn't transmit the virus very easily, it takes the person being pretty sick.

I'm sure it's no walk in the park and I would imagine there could be long term consequences, but we seem to be doing a pretty good job of keeping infected people alive. I'm not sure how many have been treated so far, but I think the only one who has died is the Liberian and there was even some suggestion if he had been treated more competently he may have lived. I would think the mortality rates here are going to be drastically lower than they are in west Africa.

My understanding is that, even if you live, your body is wrecked from Ebola. It isn't like the flu, where you just go back to normal. Again, my understanding is that Ebola permanent wrecks your organs, the degree to which varies. In addition, sustaining a 103+ fever for long periods of time does permanent damage to your organs. So, it isn't just about living or dying. You get it and you will never be the same.

Again, I am not asking for a quarantine of everyone who treats Ebola patients. But, I firmly believe it is reasonable to take the position that anyone who actually goes over to Africa to treat Ebola patients must be assumed to be infected. The safeguards over there are like the ones we have over here (and, hell, it doesn't appear our higher level safeguards are perfectly effective). Thus, a 21 day quarantine of those individuals is quite reasonable.

I think it's reasonable to isolate once they start showing symptoms, which I believe is basically what we've been doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Running mom wrote:

I think it's reasonable to isolate once they start showing symptoms, which I believe is basically what we've been doing.

Which is too late.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many cases of Ebola have been treated in the US? Prior to this, how many cases in NYC?

UNMC is the highest level contagious disease center in the US and even they had not treated Ebola before. You really believe a "regular" hospital anywhere in the US know how to handle this? Shit, the "experts" in the area still have incidents of infection and they, supposedly, know what they are doing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Running mom wrote:

Which is too late.

For what?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
How many cases of Ebola have been treated in the US? Prior to this, how many cases in NYC?

UNMC is the highest level contagious disease center in the US and even they had not treated Ebola before. You really believe a "regular" hospital anywhere in the US know how to handle this? Shit, the "experts" in the area still have incidents of infection and they, supposedly, know what they are doing.

MSF says the nurse was the first case they have ever had of Ebola infection in their ranks, and they've been doing this for decades. "Dr. Spencer is the first worker out of more than 700 expatriate staff members deployed so far to West Africa to develop symptoms after returning home."

I know that orgs like the WHO have protocols that work. Follow those protocols and people don't get infected. There isn't any guesswork involved in these protocols: "gosh, what do we do after step 6b?".

Why do people think no knowledge transfer is possible here? You really believe that there isn't a hospital in NYC that is capable of handling this? Really? You think maybe they took this guy to Bellevue because it was closest or something?

How many non-healthcare workers have gotten ill from any of the cases in the US? Zero. Why is that? We just lucky?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NO - WHO policy is that anyone assisting in disinfecting/de-gowning wear mask and goggles because of the chance of contact from spatter. Viral titres in the blood will be at their peak in late stage victims, so any potential contact should be minimized. So there are protocols and they do understand the transmission of this particular strain. These asymptomatic victims could and probably would have any amount of bodily fluids on their gear.

And CDC issued new standards vis a vis gowning and decontamination, more in line with the WHO and various EU protocols. Just because you haven't heard doesn't mean they don't exist.

Seriously go look up the pathophysiology of this ebola strain and come back to me with the viral concentrations in various parts of the body at various phases. The information is all out there.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Right. Cuz every healthcare worker who interacts with an Ebola patient needs to immediately go into 21 day quarantine. That seems practical. I'm sure that will encourage lots of people to offer care.

I agree with you - it is practical to do that to stop the spread of the disease.

It's pretty obvious that the lack of these practical measures has lead to an uncontrollable outbreak here in the United States.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many non-healthcare workers have gotten ill from any of the cases in the US? Zero. Why is that? We just lucky?

We did have two healthcare workers contract the disease IN the US which was supposedly impossible because "We follow protocols". There may or may not be a NYC hospital capable of handling this, that isn't the question. The question is why not send these people to places we KNOW can handle this? We sent one to Dallas and ended up with two workers infected. Why take the chance?

Most hospitals ARE NOT equiped with the same type of equipment that CDC and other facilities built specifically for such infectious diseases do have. Maybe some in NYC have all of this equipment and training, most don't.

AS to "why no Civilian infection?", I think to some degree, yes, we got lucky. So far every case has been caught relatively early and with relatively low contact rates.

~Matt

Quote Reply

Prev Next