Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ebola hits NYC [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
JSA wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Right. Cuz every healthcare worker who interacts with an Ebola patient needs to immediately go into 21 day quarantine. That seems practical. I'm sure that will encourage lots of people to offer care.

Wait a minute. This dude just spent months in Africa treating ebola patients. I do not think it is asking too much to expect some type of quarantine.

How many Americans have gone over to help and healthily returned without a quarantine? Just playing devil's advocate here. Hundreds of health care workers have treated the 9 Ebola patients here. How do we quarantine them? Lock them in the hospital for months?

Are you kidding me? It's 21 days. Keep them isolated not treating patients for 3 weeks. We are talking about docs treating patients in 3rd world shitholes.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not kidding. You're talking several weeks of treatment and then 21 days of possible incubation. That's almost 2 months. Are you advocating an isolation like that for every healthcare worker who treats a patient in the US, or just for those returning from West Africa?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
JSA wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Right. Cuz every healthcare worker who interacts with an Ebola patient needs to immediately go into 21 day quarantine. That seems practical. I'm sure that will encourage lots of people to offer care.

Wait a minute. This dude just spent months in Africa treating ebola patients. I do not think it is asking too much to expect some type of quarantine.

How many Americans have gone over to help and healthily returned without a quarantine? Just playing devil's advocate here. Hundreds of health care workers have treated the 9 Ebola patients here. How do we quarantine them? Lock them in the hospital for months?

Are you kidding me? It's 21 days. Keep them isolated not treating patients for 3 weeks. We are talking about docs treating patients in 3rd world shitholes.

And its not the first time that Americans have gone to 3rd world shitholes and treated Ebola patients. Were we calling for quarantines of healthcare workers before?

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what's fucked up, I'll bet any amount of money that the soldiers that have been deployed to Liberia will be quarantined upon their return.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
I'm not kidding. You're talking several weeks of treatment and then 21 days of possible incubation. That's almost 2 months. Are you advocating an isolation like that for every healthcare worker who treats a patient in the US, or just for those returning from West Africa?

Returning from Africa.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [JerseyQuaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From other articles, yes, we have quarantined them.

Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [ronniewo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ronniewo wrote:
Here's what's fucked up, I'll bet any amount of money that the soldiers that have been deployed to Liberia will be quarantined upon their return.

Count on it. Shit, back when I was enlisted, we were quarantined for less risk than this. My (really) old Army unit is the latest to deploy to Liberia. Hoo-ah Engineers!

Last edited by: JSA: Oct 23, 14 22:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the country is going to continue to use Ebola scare tactics, then it's high time that they put some research money into developing a more efficient screening than 'wait for 3 weeks to see if it shows up'. Invent a blood test and start testing people who return from high risk areas. Or, give them the 3-week quarantine option.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [ronniewo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about that earlier when I commented. It'd just about guaranteed.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think of where we would be if Obama had his way and research was squashed because there was no insentive as we spread the wealth. Thankfully what you suggest could eventually happen because he and his type haven't quite killed capitalism.

Thank Ebolabama

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Should be those returning from West Africa. Recall just a week or two ago when Dr. Nancy Snyderman of NBC was raked over the coals for being seen out in public when she was supposed to be self-quarantined. Surprised there's no outrage with this doctor. Seems like common courtesy to your fellow mankind to simply lay low if you've been in a high-risk area.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

What is wrong with a doctor returning from treating ebola patients in Africa going in to quarantine before coming home? Go over, do your stint to help people, wait a couple weeks without treating people then come home. Seems like this was easily avoidable.

Seems to me the critical question is what is the infection rate? E.g., if it's 1 in 2 vs. 1 in a 1000 then different measures should be taken. Not to mention so far it seems like by the time some one can infect someone they're pretty bad off and likely to have been identified and isolated.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:
timboricki wrote:
More American's have been married to Kim Kardashian than have died from Ebola

Both are likely to kll you.

Yes, but one death sounds like a lot more fun:

I'd let that smother me to death.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C'mon you pussies. We've got a Czar in charge now. He's an expert doctor having been the spin doctor for Al Gore and Joe Biden.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timboricki wrote:
More American's have been married to Kim Kardashian than have died from Ebola

Kim has been getting married since 2000. Give this virus the same amount of time and get back to us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that contrary to all scientific evidence and, you know, logic - they have decided to keep him in the nations most densely populated city to be cared for by people who have exactly zero experience caring for an ebola patient. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Questions: Unlike the nurses in Dallas, these ladies will not walk from work to their self-contained cars, to go to their own personal residences. They will come off the unit and, most likely, get on a bus or subway coming into contact with, who knows, thousands of people before arriving home. So - will they still be wearing their same uniforms that they have worn while taking care of the ebola patient? Will they change and/or shower? Or do they just hop off shift and head out the door? Will they self- quarantine? It is obviously not possible for a nurse who has no experience caring for an ebola patient to inadvertently get virus on herself while taking off the protective gear - right? and then sit with that contaminated clothing on busses, subways taxis... yah. this is a great idea.

This whole ebola thing would not be such a big deal if people used just a tiny bit of logic and common sense. But - sigh, this is not possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [Running mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running mom wrote:
This whole ebola thing would not be such a big deal if people used just a tiny bit of logic and common sense. But - sigh, this is not possible.

You mean like by fretting over people going about their business when the probability of infecting someone else appears to be very low?
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The probability that the doctor infected others before coming to the hospital is low. The possibility that he will infect the nurses taking care of him? I'm not sure what that probability is.....at Emory the probability seems closer to zero - in Dallas it seems closer to 100% so.....
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Running mom wrote:

You mean like by fretting over people going about their business when the probability of infecting someone else appears to be very low?

You have to measure both the chances of transmission and the results of infection.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running mom wrote:
My understanding is that contrary to all scientific evidence and, you know, logic - they have decided to keep him in the nations most densely populated city to be cared for by people who have exactly zero experience caring for an ebola patient. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Questions: Unlike the nurses in Dallas, these ladies will not walk from work to their self-contained cars, to go to their own personal residences. They will come off the unit and, most likely, get on a bus or subway coming into contact with, who knows, thousands of people before arriving home. So - will they still be wearing their same uniforms that they have worn while taking care of the ebola patient? Will they change and/or shower? Or do they just hop off shift and head out the door? Will they self- quarantine? It is obviously not possible for a nurse who has no experience caring for an ebola patient to inadvertently get virus on herself while taking off the protective gear - right? and then sit with that contaminated clothing on busses, subways taxis... yah. this is a great idea.

Don't worry, New Yorkers are the smartest people living on the planet and living in the greatest city on Earth. All will be well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running mom wrote:
The probability that the doctor infected others before coming to the hospital is low. The possibility that he will infect the nurses taking care of him? I'm not sure what that probability is.....at Emory the probability seems closer to zero - in Dallas it seems closer to 100% so.....

Well presumably if those nurses get infected by the time they become infectious they would know it and could be isolated. Quarantining the Dr. wouldn't have prevented the risk of someone treating him getting infected, unless people are advocating not treating these folks too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Running mom wrote:

You have to measure both the chances of transmission and the results of infection.

Good point but I'll say what I said earlier if there is no transmission there is no result of the infection. At least so far it appears that casual even intimate contact with a person doesn't transmit the virus very easily, it takes the person being pretty sick.

I'm sure it's no walk in the park and I would imagine there could be long term consequences, but we seem to be doing a pretty good job of keeping infected people alive. I'm not sure how many have been treated so far, but I think the only one who has died is the Liberian and there was even some suggestion if he had been treated more competently he may have lived. I would think the mortality rates here are going to be drastically lower than they are in west Africa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
How do we quarantine them? Lock them in the hospital for months?

Nah, let's just send them on a cruise....

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
How do we quarantine them? Lock them in the hospital for months?

Nah, let's just send them on a cruise....

At what point if it continues to be the case that no one gets infected from these lack of quarantines do we conclude that quarantines aren't necessary?
Quote Reply

Prev Next