Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ebola hits NYC
Quote | Reply
And went bowling and took Uber and ...

A doctor in New York City who recently returned from treating Ebola patients in Guinea tested positive for the Ebola virus Thursday, becoming the city’s first diagnosed case.
The doctor, Craig Spencer, was rushed to Bellevue Hospital on Thursday and placed in isolation while health care workers spread out across the city to trace anyone he might have come into contact with in recent days. A further test will be conducted by the federal Centers for Disease Control to confirm the initial test.
While officials have said they expected isolated cases of the disease to arrive in New York eventually, and had been preparing for this moment for months, the first case highlighted the challenges surrounding containment of the virus, especially in a crowded metropolis.
Even as the authorities worked to confirm that Mr. Spencer was infected with Ebola, it emerged that he traveled from Manhattan to Brooklyn on the subway on Wednesday night, when he went to a bowling alley and then took a taxi home.

http://www.nytimes.com/...-york-city.html?_r=0

Just to beat Duffy to the punch:

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Oct 23, 14 17:57
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See, they shouldn't be allowed back or should go through quarantine.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Last edited by: TheForge: Oct 23, 14 18:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that image and text has already been posted here - - I don't remember who posted it though
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
that image and text has already been posted here - - I don't remember who posted it though

Duffy.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, good times. I just cancelled all my other meetings for tomorrow plus a seminar I really wanted to go to. Sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [Yknot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yknot wrote:
Yeah, good times. I just cancelled all my other meetings for tomorrow plus a seminar I really wanted to go to. Sucks.

Why?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Yknot wrote:

Why?

I direct one of the clinical labs at a hospital here in NYC. With this finally arriving in the city, pretty much everyone wants to reconfirm our plans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uote JSA]And went bowling and took Uber and ...

A doctor in New York City who recently returned from treating Ebola patients in Guinea tested positive for the Ebola virus Thursday, becoming the city’s first diagnosed case.
The doctor, Craig Spencer, was rushed to Bellevue Hospital on Thursday and placed in isolation while health care workers spread out across the city to trace anyone he might have come into contact with in recent days. A further test will be conducted by the federal Centers for Disease Control to confirm the initial test.
While officials have said they expected isolated cases of the disease to arrive in New York eventually, and had been preparing for this moment for months, the first case highlighted the challenges surrounding containment of the virus, especially in a crowded metropolis.
Even as the authorities worked to confirm that Mr. Spencer was infected with Ebola, it emerged that he traveled from Manhattan to Brooklyn on the subway on Wednesday night, when he went to a bowling alley and then took a taxi home.

http://www.nytimes.com/...-york-city.html?_r=0[/quote]
Why would this be allowed? If he was treating them he should go into quarantine until he clears as safe.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:

Why would this be allowed? If he was treating them he should go into quarantine until he clears as safe.

I agree. I struggle to figure out how this happened.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right. Cuz every healthcare worker who interacts with an Ebola patient needs to immediately go into 21 day quarantine. That seems practical. I'm sure that will encourage lots of people to offer care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

I agree. I struggle to figure out how this happened.

No good ranting on this board but seriously what the fuck was he thinking. Isn't he supposed to "Do No Harm" as a Doctor?
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Right. Cuz every healthcare worker who interacts with an Ebola patient needs to immediately go into 21 day quarantine. That seems practical. I'm sure that will encourage lots of people to offer care.

I agree with you - it is practical to do that to stop the spread of the disease.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More American's have been married to Kim Kardashian than have died from Ebola
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that Tom Cruise or Adam Sandler?

To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Reach high, think big, work hard, have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

I agree with you - it is practical to do that to stop the spread of the disease.

Haha. Then no one will care for the patients. Does that stop the spread of the disease?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:

What is wrong with a doctor returning from treating ebola patients in Africa going in to quarantine before coming home? Go over, do your stint to help people, wait a couple weeks without treating people then come home. Seems like this was easily avoidable.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:

Wait a minute. This dude just spent months in Africa treating ebola patients. I do not think it is asking too much to expect some type of quarantine.

Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

What is wrong with a doctor returning from treating ebola patients in Africa going in to quarantine before coming home? Go over, do your stint to help people, wait a couple weeks without treating people then come home. Seems like this was easily avoidable.

geeeze, that's so much of a pain. Let's see how many people have to go into quarantine because this one guy did not...
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timboricki wrote:
More American's have been married to Kim Kardashian than have died from Ebola

Both are likely to kll you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Investigators took the case seriously from the outset because it appeared the doctor didn't quarantine himself following his return, the law enforcement official said. The doctor traveled to Brooklyn and then back to Manhattan on Wednesday night, the official said.

In a statement Thursday, Doctors Without Borders confirmed that the physician recently returned from West Africa and was "engaged in regular health monitoring." The doctor contacted Doctors Without Borders Thursday to report a fever, the statement said.

The law enforcement official said the doctor was out in public. Authorities also quarantined his girlfriend, with whom he was spending time since his return from Africa.

http://www.nytimes.com/...n-new-york-city.html

Yeah, this makes much more sense than requiring a quarantine of doctors returning from treating Ebola ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just picked up one of these. I'm good to go…

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you missed it but the President has assured us all that its nothing to worry about and even went so far as to say he was smooching on the nurses that treated an ebolaite. We are safe and big government has us covered with their infinite wisdom.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:

Wait a minute. This dude just spent months in Africa treating ebola patients. I do not think it is asking too much to expect some type of quarantine.

How many Americans have gone over to help and healthily returned without a quarantine? Just playing devil's advocate here. Hundreds of health care workers have treated the 9 Ebola patients here. How do we quarantine them? Lock them in the hospital for months?
Last edited by: Spiridon Louis: Oct 23, 14 20:08
Quote Reply
Re: Ebola hits NYC [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Just picked up one of these. I'm good to go…

put the lotion on the skin...you know the rest.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply

Prev Next