Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Reggae/Ska
Quote | Reply
I'm not completely sure on the correct genre for this band, but I was exposed to 'Iration' at swim practice yesterday. Me likey! Always been a big fan of 311 and Sublime and I can hear a little of that in these guys, but wondering if there are any other ones along these lines I might enjoy. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
contrary to all logic, the German reggaeton band Seeed is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHsJR0AsDlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qttGJ3il62Y
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that, but no likey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rebelution is probably the closest. Dirty Heads, Slightly Stoopid. Put Iration in a Pandora station and you'll get plenty. The California Roots music festival band list will give you some ideas too. I don't know if it's an official genre but I have heard it called West Coast Reggae
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [wild hare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wild hare wrote:
Rebelution is probably the closest. Dirty Heads, Slightly Stoopid. Put Iration in a Pandora station and you'll get plenty. The California Roots music festival band list will give you some ideas too. I don't know if it's an official genre but I have heard it called West Coast Reggae

yes just did that a bit ago and i like rebelution! thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
I'm not completely sure on the correct genre for this band,...

Well, after listening to some of their stuff on youtube, I'd place it somewhere between "Reggae-flavored Pop" and "pseudo-Reggae elevator music" ;-)
Certainly not Ska.

SCNR,
malte
Last edited by: malte: Sep 23, 14 5:50
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely agree with Malte, leans more toward Reggae side of things. Not much if any ska influence at all. Not sure what other their other songs sound like but "Magic", which they've been playing a lot on top 40 stations in this area kind of has a reggae pop sound.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Pepper's "Kona Town" album - very Sublime-ish sound, but their later albums drifted away from that.

Slightly Stoopid (already mentioned), The Expendables, Bargain Music/Josh Fischel, The Beautiful Girls are kind of similar and might be worth checking out to see if you likey. Also, thepier.org is a site dedicated to that genre.

And like malte said, it's really not ska - I always think of ska as The Specials, The Beat, The Selecter etc although it could be argued that "real" ska is the Jamaican stuff that evolved out of rocksteady/reggae/dancehall.
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Sep 23, 14 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're interested into something a little heavier try Skindred

Kind of a Reggae, metal, punk thing.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Checkout this weekly podcast if you want to get to know more ska style music - 23Min of Ska: http://radjose.wordpress.com/.../23min-of-ska-sloth/

I like and very often listen to: The Slackers, The Aggrolites, Rancid, Rancid's lead singer Tim Armstrong (with the Aggrolites), Green Room Rockers (local Indiana ska band), The Might Mighty Bosstones, Sublime....

David K
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidK wrote:
Checkout this weekly podcast if you want to get to know more ska style music - 23Min of Ska: http://radjose.wordpress.com/.../23min-of-ska-sloth/

I like and very often listen to: The Slackers, The Aggrolites, Rancid, Rancid's lead singer Tim Armstrong (with the Aggrolites), Green Room Rockers (local Indiana ska band), The Might Mighty Bosstones, Sublime....

David K

Thanks for the link that is awesome. Its very rare that there is anything but ska playing in my car during my commute to & from work or when I'm listening to music at home. Don't think there is any one of the ska waves that I don't like.
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always think of ska as The Specials, The Beat, The Selecter etc

Big fan of all three, another one from that era is the Toasters

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scofflaws and Skatalites.
I'm just gonna leave this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuGbdhF2BlQ

Last edited by: riotgear: Sep 23, 14 11:31
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [riotgear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another favorite of mine was Bop Harvey - based out of Rhode Island and had big following up this way back in the late 80s-early 90s. Tremendous live shows.

https://www.youtube.com/...t=PLA4A5CAACB8AF8D8F

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, nice pick. I've been a ska nerd for something like 15 years now.

I played trombone in a ska band for about 4 years when I was in college. We opened for some pretty awesome shows like Ray Charles, Stroke 9, Pink, Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, and Less than Jake. Best times of my life!

Some of the more esoteric ska bands come from across the pond. No, not the Atlantic, the Pacific. Bands like Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra and Kemuri though many of the Japanese ska bands leaned more heavily towards punk. Great horn lines in many of them!
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [riotgear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
riotgear wrote:

I played trombone in a ska band for about 4 years when I was in college. We opened for some pretty awesome shows like Ray Charles, Stroke 9, Pink, Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, and Less than Jake. Best times of my life!

Some of the more esoteric ska bands come from across the pond. No, not the Atlantic, the Pacific. Bands like Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra and Kemuri though many of the Japanese ska bands leaned more heavily towards punk. Great horn lines in many of them!

Thats cool, you all opened for some good bands. RBF puts on a great show.

I like the oreskaband out of Japan

How about the Melbourne Ska Orchestra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUVvBF9BWdg

Another interesting group - Brown Rice Family - "Latin Goes Ska".
Last edited by: Trinash: Sep 23, 14 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [wild hare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wild hare wrote:

I have added Pepper and Slightly Stoopid to my likes as the day wears on with Pandora thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
wild hare wrote:

I have added Pepper and Slightly Stoopid to my likes as the day wears on with Pandora thank you!

Didn't Slightly Stoopid start as a Sublime tribute band?

Y'all should check out this radio show/podcast; I listen every week

http://selectajerry.podbean.com/

Quote:
Archive of the 9/20/14 broadcast

This weeks show starts off with Roots & Culture selections from Johnny Clarke, Horace Andy, Dennis Brown, The Mighty Diamonds, Earl 16, Culture, I-Roy, and Capital Letters. New music this week comes from Clinton Fearon, Duane Stephenson, Gappy Ranks, Damian Marley, Arise Roots, Christopher Martin, Shaggy with Sanchez, and Cherine Anderson. Also this week you will hear a double play of the Kingstonians in tribute to the passing of Jackie Bernard as well as hear selections from Garnet Silk, Sizzla, Cocoa Tea, Barrington Levy, Warrior King, Tarrus Riley, Protoje, and Chronixx.

In The Dub Zone this week you will hear dubs from King Tubby and The Aggrovators, Gussie Clarke, Capital Letters, The Vibronics, Bush Chemists, and Jah Warrior. Extended Dub mixes come from Peter Broggs with King Shiloh, Dennis Bovell, and Pablo Moses.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
King Apparatus maybe. Toronto based late 80s early 90s. Great live shows.
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [spirogeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Less than Jake. More guitarish depending on the song than reggae/ska, but man those guys have put it down for a long time. Check out Hello Rockview or Anthem albums to get a good dose.
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [Trinash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trinash wrote:
riotgear wrote:

Thats cool, you all opened for some good bands. RBF puts on a great show.

I like the oreskaband out of Japan

How about the Melbourne Ska Orchestra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUVvBF9BWdg

Another interesting group - Brown Rice Family - "Latin Goes Ska".

Whoa thanks for this! I love a horn rich band
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No mention of catch 22 or streetlight manifesto? you're missing out on some great stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [rheopaipo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rheopaipo wrote:
... streetlight manifesto ...

I always get them & Gaslight Anthem confused; I don't know why

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Reggae/Ska [spirogeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spirogeek wrote:
King Apparatus maybe. Toronto based late 80s early 90s. Great live shows.

The lead singer, Chris Murray, is still hard at it but based in California now and does mostly acoustic ska. It's pretty awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgrRdorXiLE
Quote Reply

Prev Next