Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

old school saturday morning tv
Quote | Reply
This morning I turned the tv on while waiting for AZ coverage to start and had my local news on to get some updates on our big spring storm heading in (CO, just when you thought it was safe to put the snow gear away here comes a foot:( and when it ended the cartoons started. I grew up in the 70s and what ever happened to the good old Saturday morning cartoons? No School House Rock? No Superfriends? Not even and bugs bunny? Man being a kid today sucks:)

What were your favorite cartoons?
Quote Reply
Re: old school saturday morning tv [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was a kid in the late 50's our house was just like "Leave it to Beaver". Two brothers, a stay at home mom and an authoritarian father.

In those days all TV was black & white and Saturday morning cartoons didn't start until (I think) around 7:00 AM. My brother and I would get up before our parents and turn on the TV. We almost always were up before 7:00 so when we turned on the TV there was this test pattern with an Indian chief head on it that we'd sit and patiently watch until cartoons started.

I think Bugs Bunny was probably my favorite. Also enjoyed Popeye, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Top Cat, Howdy Doody and of course anything from Walt Disney.

You're right, i wouldn't want to be a kid today. It was much better when I was a kid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When our oldest boy was 2 or 3 he started to understand what saturday mornings meantr.... big bowl of fruit loops and cartoons. at that point you have the batman superman adventure hour and then Batman Beyond. probably the best 1.5 hrs of cartoons ever. It all went downhill from there.

now it's all pokemon and yugio (or how ever you spell it) they are both the exact same plot with ever-so-slightly different charecters over and over and over...

The only good cartoon on SAT morning anymore is "The Batman."

As far as the old school stuff I was always a fan of the superfriends, and Land of the Lost. I couldn't stand Tom and Jerry for some reason, but my 3 boys will watch it for hours, if we would let them, and laugh hestrically
Quote Reply
Re: old school saturday morning tv [rgr195] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanna Barbarha had the worst cartoons ever! The Jetsons make me want to cut my eyes out.

FUnny story about The Jetsons. Why I gut my boys detached, ya know fire the swim team, take the power forward off the court. I was given some valuim and told to have a seat. Right when the meds kicked in The Jetsons came on. I didn't smash the TV like I normally would the drugs made me REALLY into the show. During one scene Mr. Spacley fired Gearge and started yelling "You can't fire him! He's got a family! Why are you such a jerk?!" A firm yet caring hand came down my shoulder and I turned to see the head nurse was standing behind me. "Problem Sargent?" "Yeah Major, George got fired." "That is a shame sargent. Why don't you sit down and watch what happens I bet if your quiet they can work it out. May I see the bottle your meds came in?" "Yes, ma'am." I sat, she left, I then walked out of the sugical waiting room looking for my wife. When I found my wife she rolled her eyes and guided me back to the waiting room.

"Sargent I though I asked you to have a seat and wait."

"Yes,ma'am you did I just went to find my wife to see if she could help George."

I was WAY over prescribed on the wrong meds. I was FLYIN'!!!

I guess you had to be there.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: old school saturday morning tv [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's awesome....

sounds like the scene from 12 monkeys where Brad Pitt gives Bruce Willis the grand tour of the looney bin...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roadrunner. Beep, Beep, Zip, Dang!

Coyote. WHOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo o o o o o o o, SPLAT!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right on. We now have Jimmy Neutron, the Wiggles and JoJo's Circus.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Superfriends. Bugs Bunny & Road Runner Show. Schoolhouse Rock!!! I also remember watching Rocky & Bullwinkle on Sundays (much funnier watching as an adult).

Any of you GenX'ers out there remember those cartoons based on Videogames like "Pac-Man" or "Donkey Kong"? I barely do.

Like breakfast cereal: Sugary and exciting but with no content, leaving you feeling empty shortly afterward.

Although, in retospect I wish I grew up when they were showing "Beakman's World" or Bill Nye the Science Guy", or Animaniacs. Tho I did manage to enjoy the last two while in college.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two words - STAR BLAZERS

I don't think that was Saturdays though, just week days. I can't tell you how many times I was late for the bus because of that damn cartoon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looney Tunes, Smurfs, Superfriends, Spiderman and his Amazing Friends, Laff-A-lympics, Alvin and the Chipmunks...

I'd get up early to watch them, then have to go to catechism, then run home after to catch whatever else was on!

wK

"Training is a rite of purification; from it comes speed and strength. Racing is a rite of character; from it comes knowledge....In my training and racing I spend certain amount of time on the redline, so when a personal best opportunity presents itself...the lonely pressure will encourage precise execution." --Paul McMullen '96 Olympian
1995-96 USA National Champion 1500 m.
Last edited by: wdfaRacing: Apr 14, 05 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: old school saturday morning tv [thirsty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Star Blazers - wasn't that the one where they converted a sunken battleship into a space ship and had 365 days to get to a planet and back to save the earth from something or other????

I only ever caught an occasional episode as we couldn't pickup the channel it was on. I just remember everytime I did catch it, it was always 245 days to save earth.... never save what happened.

kick ass theme music if I remember fight...
Quote Reply