Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My thesis is due in a month, and I'm scared I'm not going to finish it in time. [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stay off ST?
I get distracted WAY too easily (like right now for instance)...cut off technology if you can, even if that means just turning off the wireless on your 'outer.
Quote Reply
Re: My thesis is due in a month, and I'm scared I'm not going to finish it in time. [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
stay off ST?
I get distracted WAY too easily (like right now for instance)...cut off technology if you can, even if that means just turning off the wireless on your 'outer.

I think I will limit ST time to: while I am drinking coffee in the morning; at night when I'm getting ready for bed; and the OctoberFish thread. I actually don't get on it a ton during the workday.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: My thesis is due in a month, and I'm scared I'm not going to finish it in time. [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JFW, just freaking write. Don't worry about things being perfect, just get things down on paper. Edit and revise later.
Quote Reply
Re: My thesis is due in a month, and I'm scared I'm not going to finish it in time. [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
Don't worry about things being perfect, just get things down on paper. Edit and revise later.

This!!! I'd estimate that I spent the first 20% of my thesis time producing roughly 80% of the final content. Start your day by framing the critical ideas, then commit to working within that framework, and that framework alone. As you continue to write, don't second guess what you wrote earlier in the day. Simply continue filling in the blanks, and save the fine tuning for when your brain is fresh.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: My thesis is due in a month, and I'm scared I'm not going to finish it in time. [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QRgirl wrote:
Maybe get off ST and get to work on it?

x2

I mean seriously, you have over TWENTY ONE THOUSAND posts on an internet forum and you're wondering if you have enough time to actually get something productive done?
Quote Reply
Re: My thesis is due in a month, and I'm scared I'm not going to finish it in time. [MeltingPot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is exactly why I am satisfied with a my under-grade degree.

If I were charged with writing a masters thesis or something like that I guarantee I wouldn't start it until the very last minute and then I would work straight through until I was done.

I'd probably be polishing off the final revisions as I walked into the defense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my PhD students had a hard time finishing her dissertation, so when she was in her office, I just disabled the wireless base. No internet connection. No cell phone either.
Things got done a lot quicker.
Quote Reply
Re: My thesis is due in a month, and I'm scared I'm not going to finish it in time. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
One of my PhD students had a hard time finishing her dissertation, so when she was in her office, I just disabled the wireless base. No internet connection. No cell phone either.

Are you looking for students? :) I don't do bioinformatics, but I'm not too far off.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: My thesis is due in a month, and I'm scared I'm not going to finish it in time. [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aren't you in chemistry? (if I remember well)...Actually I'm looking for students indeed...need to know python, R, java, C++, some databases ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: My thesis is due in a month, and I'm scared I'm not going to finish it in time. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Electrical engineering, but working on a single molecule force spectrometer that isn't an AFM tip or magnetic microbeads. So, really, I play more like a chemist on most days.

I'm teaching a freshmen level C class--does that count? :D

Good luck on your hunt for good students. I'm trying to find a new lab myself (funding, project viability, etc.) but will stick it out here in sunny San Diego.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: My thesis is due in a month, and I'm scared I'm not going to finish it in time. [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you tell them that Dennis Ritchie passed away just a few days ago?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah.

Blank faces.

It was a painful moment.

Kids these days.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I rarely use my phone, but no internet might help sometimes.

I went to the Thesis Room for my dept today. Those puppies look nice when they're all finished. It was motivating.
It's coming well - my advisor is sending stuff back tonight, she told me yesterday. I have 112 pages or so that I sent her Sun. night.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got no advice really to help you except that you might have to cut out some training to get it done. Of course, I didn't read your entire post to see if you are already doing that.

Good luck, Alyie. I'm sure you'll get things done on time.
Quote Reply
Re: My thesis is due in a month, and I'm scared I'm not going to finish it in time. [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Got no advice really to help you except that you might have to cut out some training to get it done. Of course, I didn't read your entire post to see if you are already doing that.

Good luck, Alyie. I'm sure you'll get things done on time.

Skipped a couple bike rides. That's it so far. Really wanted to do those rides, too - Oct. has been nice in Maine.
Thanks for the well wishes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, for me, I'm getting ready to take my Series 7 in about 3 weeks or so. Guess how much training I'm doing...zero. I've got kids, family, work, studying. Something has to give, and it can't be any of the things I listed. So, it's training.

It's temporary, but needed and required right now for me.

May be that's what needs to happen, temporarily, for you.

No matter what you do, you'll get it done in time. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: My thesis is due in a month, and I'm scared I'm not going to finish it in time. [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So, for me, I'm getting ready to take my Series 7 in about 3 weeks or so. Guess how much training I'm doing...zero. I've got kids, family, work, studying. Something has to give, and it can't be any of the things I listed. So, it's training.

It's temporary, but needed and required right now for me.

May be that's what needs to happen, temporarily, for you.

School is my work and I don't have any kids / not seeing anyone - so I am in a lucky spot that way. Good luck with your test!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's my idea. Don't waste time replying to every single reply to this thread. Just put

thanks in advance for all your great ideas.

-No reply needed ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advisor sent comments on part of my draft. No major revisions needed so far, just a bunch of editing. YEAH.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a good start!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. I'm having a far less stressful weekend this weekend. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need this.

CUTE!!!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: My thesis is due in a month, and I'm scared I'm not going to finish it in time. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one of those but she's full-cat sized. She is great :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How a dissertation or theses depends on the school and your committee. I can tell, you that it is a bad idea to go to anyone other than your committee chair for help. The problem is that our chair is expected to both be your guide but also will be your advocate when the document goes to your second reader, but most importantly when you defend it. If you go to someone else, just plan on redoing 1/2 of what the other tells you to do.
How long it takes also depends on your major. In the sciences, papers tend to be written pretty quickly, but in the humanities it is not uncommon for the process to last years for a dissertation.
Frankly, when I did my dissertation I didn't have anytime to work out or do anything else; however, a major part of this was because I was working a full time job during the bulk of the writing. Most people will finish their masters theses; however, I think only about 1/2 the people who start their dissertation will finish it.
Quote Reply
Re: My thesis is due in a month, and I'm scared I'm not going to finish it in time. [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
JFW, just freaking write. Don't worry about things being perfect, just get things down on paper. Edit and revise later.

This.

I wrote mine when I was working full time plus commuting 1.5 hours a day. And, there were no personal computers so it all had to be typed on a typewriter and re-typed if there were major changes.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next