Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

iPhone vs Android
Quote | Reply
New phone time. I'm currently on Verizon. No firsthand experience with an iPhone. Love me some Mac, though. iPhone vs Android (probably an HTC Incredible). Mostly for personal use. Email. Internet. Text. Facebook. Etc. I might talk on it occasionally.

Should I bail on VZW and get an iPhone 4. Or, stay on VZW and pick up an Incredible (or other Android phone).

I'm really an idiot when it comes to phone tech and could use some help.

Thanks

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone vs Android [just jack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a side-by-side comparison of the two:

http://mashable.com/...o-droid-infographic/

In short, the Incredible has half of the storage capacity and battery life as the iPhone 4, a higher resolution camera, lower resolution display, and fewer apps. For most people, these differences are probably negligible.

The reviews for the Incredible are extremely positive, probably even more so than the iPhone 4, though they may not be held to the same standard. Given your criteria, and that the interfaces are identical--you'll be tapping on a screen to text, rather than a blackberry-style keyboard--and that Verizon's service ranks well above AT&T, I'm hard pressed to find a reason to steer you toward the iPhone (even though I'm dropping verizon for AT&T next month; my reasons for choosing the iPhone are far different from yours) when the combination of Verizon and Droid Incredible is as good as it gets for smartphone owners.

Additionally, I'm guessing you talk to more people on the Verizon network than you do on AT&T; those minutes will no longer be free when you leave Verizon, so you may have to purchase a more expensive plan to accommodate them.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Aug 2, 10 5:25
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone vs Android [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read that the Droid has some problems synching with Outlook. I wonder if this is true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with a Droid over an iPhone. I went from a heavy BlackBerry user to a Droid late last year when the Moto DROID came out. I love the phone. Since the new DROID X came out I am thinking of purchasing it. It is major competitor of the iPhone. The internet works well enough on the phone I quit using a laptop to surf with at home and just use the phone. App store has more things than you will ever use.

iPhones are just as good to use except the one downside (IMO) AT&T. I dumped AT&T because of the unreliable service and never looked back. Depending on your area this may be a reason to stick with VZW.

Wil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask other iPhone users in your area how their service is and if they get good 3G coverage. Like most iPhone owners, I love the phone but the ATT dropped call rate is terrible. I know of a couple of local Seattle companies have forbid their sales guys from using ATT because of dropped calls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me ask you this, why do you need a cell phone? Do you call 911 alot? is your car very unreliable? I ask people why they need a cell phone they always use the red hearing argument, " well in case I have an emergency" then I ask how many times have you used your phone because of an emergency they always say "well I cold some day".
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone vs Android [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I see your point since most emergencies are planned and you can go ahead and have your ducks in a row before they happen.

BTW emergencies by nature tend to sneak up on you.

So why the cell phone hate? You do know that many people use them for business and in place of their home phones right?

PS. I dont think he was asking for your opinion of his need for a cell phone. Frankly his "why" is none of your business.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Last edited by: Rodred: Aug 2, 10 11:26
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone vs Android [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well I see your point since most emergencies are planned and you can go ahead and have your ducks in a row before they happen.
I know most emergencies are NOT planned but what did you do before cell phones when you had an emergency?

So why the cell phone hate? You do know that many people use them for business and in place of their home phones right?

Not really hate I just thing people think they have to have one but I"m not sure how society survived before cell phones were so popular.

PS. I dont think he was asking for your opinion of his need for a cell phone. Frankly his "why" is none of your business.

I would say Droid, that's what I hear from the geeks but what do I know, I still have a home phone line.
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone vs Android [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the combination of Verizon and Droid Incredible is as good as it gets for smartphone owners

Now Sphere, you know this can't always be the case :) Some of us are Blackberry freaks and it can do things droids can't (that I know of). That being said I do agree on VZW and droid > iPhone.

When someone pulls laws out of their @$$, all we end up with are laws that smell like sh!t. -Skippy
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone vs Android [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Instead of "why do need a cell phone" the question is why do you need a land line. I only a couple of people under the age of 50 that have a land line anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Droid and love it. Ive been told the new one is amazing.

~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, there are a few things out of your control that may shape your decision - what coverage / signal quality is like where you live for each of the carriers; whether you can still get a Droid Incredible (Verizon is phasing it out - see http://www.gadgetsdna.com/...-eris-together/3999/ ), and whether you can get a Droid X (my pick of Android phones), as from what I have read they're in very short supply.

This table compares the above 3 phones along with a few others - http://www.gadgetsdna.com/...g-vs-nexus-one/4191/

I don't think you can buy a nexus one anymore so I'd forget that one. The EVO 4G has significant performance issues with both games and video playback.

All of the remaining 3 are good phones, so there isn't a choice that is clearly better or worse than the others. The Droid X has better HW specs than the Incredible, but that only matters if you can get your hands on either one. I think the user experience on the iphone 4 is better and more integrated across the various pieces, but this will vary with personal preferences. The recent release of the jailbreak (and the upcoming carrier unlock, which is primarily of interest in the US) for all iphones means that Apple's facetime video calling will now work over a 3G connection, as well as a wealth of other apps and customizations.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Samsung Galaxy S which is an android phone. I love it. I know more than a couple of people here who have taken back or are considering taking back their iPhone due to crappy service issue. I'm in the SF Bay Area, aka, Apple central.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: iPhone vs Android [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have a Samsung Galaxy S which is an android phone. I love it. I know more than a couple of people here who have taken back or are considering taking back their iPhone due to crappy service issue. I'm in the SF Bay Area, aka, Apple central.

The service from At&t is a big issue for some and you really arent losing much by going from one phone to the other. A friend of mine who loves his iphone has really thought about switching to a droid after playing with mine and doing some reading. AT&T has something to with his debate as well.

Personally I have had nothing but a good experience with Verizon

~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the same dilemma. I really like my mac and ipod touch, but I haven't been able to get myself to drink the kool aid on the iphone. For me it just pisses me off that the service sucks in my area and that I get less minutes and options for more money with ATT vs. Sprint (if your on Verizon you are already used to similar plans).
Anyway, my wife just got an HTC EVO and loves it. It is super fast and since she tends to use google calendar, google docs, and gmail etc...the syncing is far better with an android phone. It has been the first phone that doesn't make me shake my head and conclude "iphone does it better."
I would say that at this point you can't go wrong with either system and consider exactly what is important to you and compare the service in your area. In my area sprint works better than Verizon or ATT...in other areas sprint would be the worst. I will say Android does have a slight learning curve whereas the iphone has the easiest experience, but the curve is pretty slight. Also, check out the battery life on whatever your considering. The Evo has a pretty mediocre battery life (as the Droid X will probably have as well) but it hasn't been a real issue except that with heavy use you will be lucky to last a full day on a charge. With light use, you may get close to a day and a half. At this point the iphone has a pretty excellent battery life compared to the rest. As far as features and usability, I think the android phones are at least equal to the iphone if not starting to edge ahead. However, Apple makes products that are brilliantly simple to use—the problem is that they often make up your mind for you on how you are going to use your phone...which as a mac user can make me a bit irritated at times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm new to smartphones, but have been a mac person for years. i just got an iphone recently. i've been very happy so far. it synchs well with my email addresses and calendars. the battery time has been particularly impressive compared to my last phone.

i'm not going to pump one phone vs the other cuz i don't know a thing about the droid phones, but my suggestion would be to poll your friends about their service in your area. i'm sure you know folks with iphones.

i have not had service issues in and around portland or the I-5 corridor between salem & seattle. (that's without the free bumper/case they're now giving out.) the service gets admittedly thin as i head away from civilization, camping and such. but i can't really report the service problems that many others have. i seem to get the same coverage as i got on the sprint phone i just gave up.

ymmv
Quote Reply
Re: iPhone vs Android [gj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in your same position last December. I was on Verizon and wanted/needed a smartphone and I'd never had one. I chose iPhone over the first Motorola Droid primarily because Droid was brand new and iPhone was 3-years old (3rd generation) and companies who do apps do iPhone apps. iPhone killer or iPhone. I had a Commodore Amiga computer way back when and found that no one else knew anything about Amiga and I had to pay for help. I didn't want to repeat this experience.

I had had problems with my Verizon service dropping calls in my own home, while ATT users were talking fine. I was not crazy about using ATT after all the bad press and my Verizon service was top notch. However, I was looking at getting two phones, one for my son on a family plan, and when I compared all costs, iPhones and phone/data/text with ATT were cheaper PLUS rollover minutes. I've found ATT to be fine and dropped calls for me don't seem to be a problem. The ATT website is WAY slow though compared to Verizon. Regardless of vendor, I usually end up calling because some things just are clearer actually talking to some one. An interesting thing is way service calls are handled between either ATT or Apple depending on your problem. Verizon handled all calls regardless of the device.

Six months later I enjoy my iPhone. I love some aspects, others I don't. One thing I don't like is the VERY limited choice of sounds for text messages and emails coming in. The fact these can't be expanded is lame. All other phones I had I could choose the sounds/tones. The whole MobileMe cloud services costing $99 irks me, too. Apple stuff is expensive, but I use the phone for business and write it off as an expense.

I love how the iPhone has all sorts of capabilities to do all sorts of stuff with just an app download. I have some running/cycling gps apps that are pretty cool for training and while not free, were WAY cheaper than a Nike shoe pod or Garmin Forerunner. Now with iPhone OS4, I can listen to my iTunes music while I use my run/GPS app. I use Runmeter and Runkeeper apps. Both are good, but Runkeeper was $14.99. Expensive for an app, but like I said, way cheaper than Nike or Garmin. The downside of all these capabilities is it uses battery life like crazy. I find myself charging my iPhone daily, sometimes more. Understandable, I guess, as I use the thing for everything!

I know you're looking at Android/Droid/iPhone, but RIM/Blackberry is Canadian. Apple/Google/Motorola are American (California, Illinois) if you believe in supporting local/American companies.

Hope that helps!

Sean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may help your decision:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

I love my Android phone. If i was going to go with something else I would go with Blackberry before iPhone. Nothing against the iPhone, but there is no way I would compromise on the major thing I want the phone to do, which is act as a phone, and AT&T sucks.

---------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: This poster is a sales rep in the bicycle industry
Quote Reply