Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Terminator
Quote | Reply
So what's the verdict on Arnold? I would probably feel a little better about him as a governor if he could lay off the movie quotes in his political speeches. "Terminate the terrorists", "Economic girly men" (which was from SNL and not from any of his movies, by the way), and the soldier who told him "I'll be back"? I also appreicated him letting us know that the Soviet Union was no longer a threat. I was also a little surprised that he cited nixon as his inspriation toward the Republican party. Other than that, i thought he did alright.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Terminator [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He says the movie lines because you react to them. Also he has created a lot of catch phrases and should feel free to throw them around.

Don't be a cultural girly man.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Terminator [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not "reacting", I'm just saying if given a choice between movie lines and no movie lines, I would go without them. Second, he didn't create "girly man", Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon did on SNL.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok he inspired girly men. "Well excuuuuuuuuuuuse me!" Steve Martin

Last edited by: Mr. Tibbs: Aug 31, 04 20:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
----
I was also a little surprised that he cited nixon as his inspriation toward the Republican party.
----

Is that not obvious? Look at how paranoid, secretive and reactionary the leaders of the GOP are. The Bush administration is frighteningly Nixon-esque.

Nixon built his career on Red-hunting. Bush is building his career on "evil"-hunting. Hyped up simplistic rhetoric to get the masses riled up. McCarthy 2004.

For all the disdain throw at "Hollywood liberals" isn't it funny how politician/actors are generally Republican?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hi sure did inspire Girly men! Did you see Pumping Iron? Bunch of pumped up men all preening, waxed and shaven.
Quote Reply
Re: Terminator [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was one scary movie.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as a californian, i can say with some authority here is what arnold passionately believes in, according to both words and deeds while in office:

1. balancing the governmental budget
2. removal of economic barriers
3. removal of pork and patronage from the budget
4. elimination of trial lawyer friendly tort law
5. the right to have an abortion
6. the rights of gays and lesbians
7. elimination of an overarching theology or lack thereof controlling the affairs of government (whether christianity or atheism).

i don't yet know what arnold is as regards the environment.

i'd love to join arnold's political party. unfortunately, if you look at the last 25 years in american government, the democrats are the party for points 1,2,5,6,7 and about a third of point 3. the republicans are my party for point 4, and the other two-thirds of point 3.

arnold was right to choose the republican party when he emigrated in 1968. unfortunately, if he wants to know what party most closely conforms to his current views, he just needs to roll over in bed and ask his wife's advice.

or start his own party, because there is no party for arnold in america today.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Terminator [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are probably completely right about Arnold and his views, but I must say,...I've never heard anyone stablish their authority in politcal matters by stating that they are Californian. ;-)

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I've never heard anyone stablish their authority in politcal matters by stating that they are Californian. ;-)"

being a californian doesn't make me an authority in political matters, it better positions me as regards arnold's political matters. if that matters :-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a non-Californian, I could use your help in answering a question raised by your views on Arnold: If his beliefs seem more aligned with the Democratic Party than with the Republican Party, why did he appear at the RNC this week?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Terminator [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He originally said that he wouldn't do any National campaigning for Bush but he would help in California. Wonder if it has to do with his own re-election?
Quote Reply
Agreeing with Slowguy!!! [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm not "reacting", I'm just saying if given a choice between movie lines and no movie lines"

I'd like to think he's governinig, not acting, but maybe we're better off if he gives the speeches and someone else does the thinking...

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Bunch of pumped up men all preening, waxed and shaven."

There were triathletes in Pumping Iron? (kidding)

So you DON'T shave? Are you subconsciously gay and afraid you might like the feel of your own legs cleanly shaven?

¦:o)/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched about 1/2 of Arnold's speech, the Bush twins, and part of Laura Bush's speech. The whole thing reminded me of a bad high school pep rally, with one-liners and a bunch of "jokes" that didn't make me laugh.

Is anyone going to give a speech that focuses on the future, i.e. this is what we want to do, and is not mostly a reflection of what happened in the last four years? This is what I want, not two recent college-grads poking fun at their parents and grandparents. Surely there is a plan for the next four years somewhere, not just "stay the course"? I'll be watching again tonight, maybe a little, in between commercial breaks during "Amish in the City" and "The Player".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"why did he appear at the RNC this week?"

why is a democrat the keynote speaker at the RNC tonight? zell miller is a democrat who ought to be a republican. if he had any balls he'd change his affiliation. if the democratic party had any balls it'd ask him to, and run a real democrat against him in his next primary.

arnold is a republican because he's a fan of nixon and reagan, and he can't yet bring himself to change his affiliation. the republican party adopted him and drafted him to run in california. however, for all the balls he tries to convince people he has, REAL balls would cause him to do what mccain does, and criticize what's wrong with his party.

unfortunately, neither party is overly endowed with such people. party loyalty appears to be considered a higher virtue than virtue for its own sake.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think there's a bit of a double standard there with your treatment of Miller and McCain?

What the hell is McCain doing in the Republican party? Oh, yeah, he's a courageous moderate. . .

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
why is a democrat the keynote speaker at the RNC tonight? zell miller is a democrat who ought to be a republican. if he had any balls he'd change his affiliation. if the democratic party had any balls it'd ask him to, and run a real democrat against him in his next primary.

I believe Zell Miller is not running for re-election. Saves the Dems from having to back a Republican or running a "real" Democrat against him.

In Reply To:
arnold is a republican because he's a fan of nixon and reagan, and he can't yet bring himself to change his affiliation. the republican party adopted him and drafted him to run in california. however, for all the balls he tries to convince people he has, REAL balls would cause him to do what mccain does, and criticize what's wrong with his party.

unfortunately, neither party is overly endowed with such people. party loyalty appears to be considered a higher virtue than virtue for its own sake.

So you're saying that Arnold is just being yet another politician, instead of something new and different? Sigh.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Terminator [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think McCain is not a Republican: he's pretty conservative. The difference is that he occasionally stands up for what he believes is right and wrong, irrespective of party affiliation. Miller is a conservative, too.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you that McCain is pretty conservative. In New Jersey.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't think McCain is not a Republican: he's pretty conservative. The difference is that he occasionally stands up for what he believes is right and wrong, irrespective of party affiliation. Miller is a conservative, too.

If I wasn't such an unshaven homophobe :) I'd move out to California and have slowman adopt me. I agree with him on most of the points he has brought up here. I think that in the 2000 election McCain was the best candidate, although not the candidate with the best chance of winning. I think he is more of a populist than a republican or democrat. He does what is best for the people of Arizona regardless of what his party wants and he does a lot of bipartisan work because that is the best way to get things done. Neither party has a lock on what is best for america and if they were both working on what is best for the american people I wouldn't have to put up with so many stupid commercials during Big Brother (gawd, I can't believe I just admitted to watching that crap better than NFL in August, christ August haven't you already ruined the entire fall and winter)
Quote Reply
Re: Terminator [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"So you DON'T shave? Are you subconsciously gay and afraid you might like the feel of your own legs cleanly shaven?"
---------------------------------------------------------

Done the shaving thing but I have so little body hair anyway that doesn't make much difference. My calves always have the completely smooth feeling.

Haven't tried waxing and oiling yet. Is that fun? I assume for maximum fun you need 2+ people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I assume for maximum fun you need 2+ people."

For MAXIMUM fun you need five people, a pig, and various accessories.

Actually, the pig was Tibbs' idea...

Quote Reply
Re: Terminator [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COME ON ELWOOD! SQUEAL LIKE A PIG!!!!

Last edited by: Mr. Tibbs: Sep 1, 04 23:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So having real balls is allowing someone else to tell you what you are and running to hide in the group that you are told to go too?

Quote Reply

Prev Next