Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Valgus Knees on Bike: Wedge or Narrow Spindles? Help Please
Quote | Reply
I have always had my knees dips towards the top tube as I start the down stroke, but after a saddle change it seems to have gotten worse. I switched from a Cobb Max to an ISM PN 1.1. This has allowed me to roll my hips further and has exacerbated my problem. I'm having tension in my groin bilaterally and my knees kick in under higher loads. I can feel a majority of the pressure on the inside of my cleat toward the ball of my foot. If I shift slightly to the right I can line my knee up and it has perfect motion with much greater force production with a smoother motion. I can replicate the same thing on the left if I shift slightly to the left on my saddle as well. I'm currently riding Garmin pedals and can't move the cleats far enough on my shoes to resolve the issue. I plan on switching to Speedplay. My question is should I attempt to use wedges, uses short spindles, or is this a technique issue? If wedges, which ones and how to I go about that process? If spindles where is a good place to find replacment spindles, and how to choose amount of reduction? I do have MCL damage on the left side which isn't helping the cause. I don't get pain but I know it isn't very stable.I can't do any athletic events that involve lateral motion as it gives out.
Quote Reply
Re: Valgus Knees on Bike: Wedge or Narrow Spindles? Help Please [jwf0056] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Switch to Ultegra pedals and go see your local fitter. They are far better equipped to resolve your issues since they can see them first hand. It will run you about $200 but it's worth it if you are having issues. Heck, even your dealer can probably do a good job since he can see the dynamics first hand, and probably won't cost anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Valgus Knees on Bike: Wedge or Narrow Spindles? Help Please [jwf0056] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a combination of wedges and longer axles (Ultegra +4mm). The wedges were originally for hot spots on my feet but they also helped with my knee collapsing. I have bowlegs though so my case maybe different than yours.
Quote Reply
Re: Valgus Knees on Bike: Wedge or Narrow Spindles? Help Please [tylerwal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wedges, In the shoe or under cleat can have a remarkable effect.

New insoles can help a lot as well. They will conform over time to the shape of your foot. I use a combination of wedges and insoles.

In the shoe wedges are a great way to test. Some bike shops with good fitters will sell you wedges individually.

That said, if you're not experiencing pain it's often better to just leave it alone.

Edit: make sure that your problem is varus or valgus. Valgus is for bow-legged but I'm not sure if this corresponds to knee driving towards top tube. It doesn't for me anyway.
Last edited by: carlosflanders: Nov 25, 17 12:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let us clarify what exactly you 'have', and what exactly is the best approach.

Valgus knee is when the joint moves medially (inwards) under load, from imbalances in the hip/glute/adductor chain. Notably seen in weightlifting doing squats, lunges and jumping.

Varus is the term used for foot angle, and for wedges under cleats (or forefoot). A good footbed, and keeping the foot in neutral (see navicular drop test) will compensate for this. Forefoot to rearfoot plane balance is a combination of controlling pronation from the heel, hallux strength and overall flexibility of the joint.

You may have both issues, you may have only one. The knee track can be improved from either end of the chain - at the foot or at the hip. But a Varus wedge will not help inadequate hip engagement, nor will improved hip engagement erase navicular instability.

If unable to perform a lunge or squat without the knee tracking inwards, you may not need wedges, nor longer spindles.

Longer spindles/stance width is a way to align the ankle center up to the knee.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Valgus Knees on Bike: Wedge or Narrow Spindles? Help Please [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you to everyone for the replies. After reading a write up from Slowman, and quite a bit some Steve Hogg. With the replies I decided a good place to start would be arch supports. This has helped quite a bit. I will progress to wedges over the next few workouts. Steve Hogg has pretty specific instructions on the process of wedging that I plan on following.

When squatting my knees track pretty well. There is a slight inward dip with the initiation of the movement, but quickly fall back into proper path tracking. Surprisingly my left knee tracks better than my right.
Quote Reply