Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Computer for Zwift? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. My current computer is a 2010 circa all-in-one HP with windows 7. I couldn't get Zwift to work on it and took it to a computer shop and they looked at it and said it does not have enough graphics memory (I think that was the terminology) to run Zwift. He didn't seem to think there was any workaround solution but if there is I'd be glad to know it as I'd rather not have to spend the cash for a new computer for Zwift.
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsmith wrote:
Thanks. My current computer is a 2010 circa all-in-one HP with windows 7. I couldn't get Zwift to work on it and took it to a computer shop and they looked at it and said it does not have enough graphics memory (I think that was the terminology) to run Zwift. He didn't seem to think there was any workaround solution but if there is I'd be glad to know it as I'd rather not have to spend the cash for a new computer for Zwift.

unfortunately that's the problem with All-in-One's. to get that old PC to work I just needed to throw in that $50 graphics card and it was more than up to the task. that's not really possible when everything is soldered together in a little box
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm missing out on a resolution setting that I'm not aware of by using something better, but....
I'm using a 10-year old Mac Mini (the one with no optical drive and about the size a a few CD cases stacked up), and a 40" Dynex flatscreen 1080p TV that we moved out when we got the big 4K one. It picks up my BT stuff easily enough, and I have a Garmin ANT dongle hanging in front with a 3' extension cord. For sound, I mute the TV and plug my iPhone into my extra guitar combo amp. That way I have the Zwift app ready on a table next to me with a towel so I can throw out a few "thumbs up" here and there.
Last night, for the first time, I had some power drop-outs for the first time, while the HR was solid. Hardware? Server? No clue. But for the last month it's been perfect and I get zero graphic issues. I'm generally a PC guy, but I gotta say that a basic Mac from a decade ago does the job really well.
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On your PC... click start and type DXDIAG and then hit enter... click "no"

On the screen that comes up grab you will see a "Save Information" tab at the bottom. Click that and save the info to a text file somewhere on your PC.

Open the text file and copy/paste the System Information and Display Devices section in this thread. No need to paste the section of the Display Devices that goes into all of the
Deinterlace Caps...

I'm curious to see what you have. An AIO almost for sure has onboard memory, never seen one that doesn't... even still it may be able to run Zwift with a system memory upgrade or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
On your PC... click start and type DXDIAG and then hit enter... click "no"

On the screen that comes up grab you will see a "Save Information" tab at the bottom. Click that and save the info to a text file somewhere on your PC.

Open the text file and copy/paste the System Information and Display Devices section in this thread. No need to paste the section of the Display Devices that goes into all of the
Deinterlace Caps...

I'm curious to see what you have. An AIO almost for sure has onboard memory, never seen one that doesn't... even still it may be able to run Zwift with a system memory upgrade or something.

i'm not the one with the AIO, it's jsmith. i can see how an old pc doesn't have the graphics power for it though
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [coralsnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So... iPads. How'd you get your HR monitor to link up (as my garmin monitor uses ant not bluetooth)?

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you would need the ANT+ key

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 4 year old Dell laptop does awesome. Intel 4 core cpu, 8 gb of memory, 128gb of disk, regular onboard nvidia card. Works great.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have an iPhone? Lightning to hdmi adapter is $50.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We mostly use Alienware Alpha's in the training room at the office, which I think are pretty darn nice.

I gather we have some sort of partnership with Alienware, but I don't know much about it - http://www.alienware.com/Landings/zwift/

I run it on a Macbook pro and it seems to work just fine for me, though we have an 80" 4K TV in the lobby of the office that runs the game in "Just Watch" mode that makes me think a setup like that would be pretty darn sweet. I believe we have a bigger dedicated gaming rig (either an Aurora or Area51) driving that. But hard to argue with the little media PCs as a nice platform that also works well for youtube/netflix/etc.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will Zwift work on a MacBook Air?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheapest/easiest option is probably Apple TV 4K. Only restriction seems to be limited to Bluetooth devices unless devices are connected via mobile app.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run Zwift on one of these, shop around though because I got this exact one for $200 from gearbest:
https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_343434.html

Edit: here you go, $178
https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_343431.html?wid=37

Need to add memory and a SSD, mine came to a total $300
Last edited by: peachy: Nov 19, 17 1:15
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [peachy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
after a lot of reading and trying to figure out what i want, i decided on a maxed out alienware alpha. seems to be a great fit for the application. im a mac person so it really hurt my feelings to go this route, but apple just doesnt make what i want for this application. the mini just doesnt have the horsepower for the gpu.

im pretty darned excited about it overall though.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't read through all of the posts and I'm not sure if you want a laptop or PC but I run Zwift on a PC I built with:

Asus 1070-A mother board
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 graphics card

Windows 7 64 bit
Some cheap spinner HD

The whole thing costs about $600 and I normally average over 100 frames a second with nothing overclocked.

If I was buying a GPU now I'd be looking at the GTX 1050, it's about half the price (~$120) of the discontinued GTX 960 that I have now.

Before I got the Asus 1070-A with a Intel 6700 I7 I was using an Asus board with a Core2 Quad and still getting over 80 frames a second.

Edit: I output to a 40 inch 1080P Television.
Last edited by: jaretj: Nov 19, 17 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the Surface Pro ? Anyone use it?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [tobythetuba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried running it on my 2010 relatively stout Toshiba a few years ago, but it crashed.

Used my wife's "$350 my computer died and I need one immediately and its not in the budget but its Black Friday" PC and never had any issues.

Can look up specs on it if you need.

Last year she was using it quite a bit more than usual, so I just used my iPad. I liked that setup better anyway - had it on a stand just to the side of my bike, and could watch something else on TV.
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [peachy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peachy wrote:
I run Zwift on one of these, shop around though because I got this exact one for $200 from gearbest:
https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_343434.html

Edit: here you go, $178
https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_343431.html?wid=37

Need to add memory and a SSD, mine came to a total $300
What kind of settings can you get away with in that box? Resolution, quality, fps?
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I gather we have some sort of partnership with Alienware, but I don't know much about it - http://www.alienware.com/Landings/zwift/

Ask around on that one. Last I heard well over a year ago was someone went to order via a deal they had going and nobody knew anything about it from Dell. (And it's the old logo, Steve will be having kittens). :)

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In case anyone cares as far as how little computer you can get away with, I have a core2duo with 4gb ram and I can't remember with video card I have at the moment (it's a low end nvidia I picked up not too long ago, but it ran on a super old geforce I had previously) and it works ok. In the early days I ran it on an old netbook I had (not advisable, but it technically worked!) I also run it on my wife's recent gen macbook air. The limiting factor for me are the screen sizes, my setup is such that the monitors aren't set up in a good spot and aren't big enough to create an immersive experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [tobythetuba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a on older Surface Pro 2, with a core i3 and 4gb ram. It runs on it. Takes a little bit to get going, but once logged in and riding its been fine. I just plug it into a 40" TV and use my iPhone mobile link for HR, Cadence and trainer power.
Quote Reply
Re: Computer for Zwift? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Are they (i.e. Zwift) out of beta yet for Apple TV? The new 4K one has some pretty impressive graphics capabilities for a very cheap mini box. That plus a cheap big TV would be killer.

Released!
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/zwift-releases-apple-tv-4k.html
Quote Reply

Prev Next