Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Profile Design 58/TwentyFour vs. 1/Fifty
Quote | Reply
I can't find anything online about this, and from the specs I really can't tell much difference other than a slight weight difference and a slight depth difference (50 vs 58).

So, dose anyone here know the difference between these two sets (1/Fifty and 58/TwentyFour)?

The new 1/Fifty's seem to be marketed as a budget option, since they are cheeper, and I Seems like maybe a different manufacturing process? But nothing is really clear from the website.

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Flaer|Team Kiwami|Nuun Hydration|Honey Stinger
Twitter: @N8deck
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design 58/TwentyFour vs. 1/Fifty [triathlonpal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't comment on the 1/Fifty, but I've been riding the 58/TwentyFour for a little over a week. I really like these wheels. I build my own and have to say it's very nice set. I honestly haven't really noticed the wheel weight unless I throw on my 1350g wheels, which spin up quicker. I got the ones with the blacked out decals. One of things I really liked was how the accessories were packaged together. Plus, they threw in spare spokes. You probably can't go wrong with either wheelset. It's just a matter of the slight aero advantage of the 58 vs 50 or the slight weight savings of the 50. Good luck!

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design 58/TwentyFour vs. 1/Fifty [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

After looking a bit more, it seems like the TwentyFour series is hand assembled and the Fifty series is mostly machine assembled? Am I right on that?

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea about assembly. The 24 series most likely is, and my hunch is the 50 is as well. I don't know how well you can machine assemble a carbon rim. Considering the low cost of labor overseas, it's probably cheaper (and more reliable) to have carbon rims assembled by hand (the rims are made by hand anyway).

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathlonpal wrote:
So, does anyone here know the difference between these two sets (1/Fifty and 58/TwentyFour)?

I consult to Profile Design so know a fair bit about their range.

1/Fifty is trickle down tech - shape is derived from 24 series and shares the filament wound construction. But doesn't have the specific CFD work and wind tunnel validation of the higher model. Also has round spokes and a slightly larger diameter front hub. All the wheels are handbuilt.

On the road they feel the same - given that the construction is the same and the aero difference will only be in the order of a couple of watts that's not surprising.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick google search led me to trisports.com where they are on sale...oddly the 78/TwentyFour wheelset is cheaper than either the 58 wheelset OR the 58/78 wheelset. Super cheap for wheels of this quality.

Then again, the 1/Fifty is on sale too, and for $800 you probably can't go wrong.
Last edited by: jeremyebrock: Dec 4, 16 15:46
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design 58/TwentyFour vs. 1/Fifty [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
Quick google search led me to trisports.com where they are on sale...oddly the 78/TwentyFour wheelset is cheaper than either the 58 wheelset OR the 58/78 wheelset. Super cheap for wheels of this quality.

Then again, the 1/Fifty is on sale too, and for $800 you probably can't go wrong.

I saw that too... It's actually what sparked this question... I also noticed that buying the front and rear separately is cheeper than buying the set!

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathlonpal wrote:
jeremyebrock wrote:

I saw that too... It's actually what sparked this question... I also noticed that buying the front and rear separately is cheeper than buying the set!

Damn. Now I'm a little jealous of those sales. I got my 58/TwentyFour wheelset recently from Nashbar for $1100. Granted I got a free add-on of profile design 30/Twenty Four Alloy wheels which I'll use for training so that's nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design 58/TwentyFour vs. 1/Fifty [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just scooped a basically brand new (500 miles) set of 58/24 off the classifieds for $630 shipped. I see them pop up from time to time from 600-800.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design 58/TwentyFour vs. 1/Fifty [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mknight84 wrote:
Just scooped a basically brand new (500 miles) set of 58/24 off the classifieds for $630 shipped. I see them pop up from time to time from 600-800.

very nice. I'm always too nervous about buying used wheels not being certain how they were ridden.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design 58/TwentyFour vs. 1/Fifty [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I took a chance. Seems to have paid off they look fine are true no damage look new. I would be more Leary off if eBay or Craigslist but people here seem to be pretty honest and straight forward about the condition of the gear.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realize this is a year old thread, but I was thinking about these wheels and this thread today since I remember looking at them if Black Friday last year.

I did a full write up here http://triathlonpal.com/...ign-1fifty-wheelset/ but the short story is that they are a decent set of wheels!

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Quote Reply