Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I poked a hole in an aluminum rim, can I still ride it? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
You say "I wouldn't be bombing any descents just yet". When would you know it was safe to start bombing descents?

It's safe now. The hole isn't any worse than a valve hole. Think of it another way. Manufacturers use the same extrusion for 16 hole rims and 36 hole rims. The only difference is the number of holes drilled in it.

There are a lot bigger things to worry about while bombing down a descent than a rim that has an extra hole.
Careful when you state with conviction things you don't really know are true!
Valve holes are circular, drilled, central and intentional.
That hole is irregular, punched/torn, eccentric and you don't actually know it's safe.
Aluminium alloys can work harden
Aluminium propagates cracks
Irregular holes are likely to create stress concentrations
The shape of the rim is critical to it's strength and anything that interferes with the corner or sides, even a little is likely to be more critical
There are bigger things to worry about bombing down a descent than a rim that has an extra hole, you say. Well of course, unless it fails, in which case it was the biggest thing to worry about.
I don't know if it's safe or not, neither does the OP and neither do you. That's enough reason not to use it.
Quote Reply
Re: I poked a hole in an aluminum rim, can I still ride it? [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're gonna puncture a rim do it right. Yes, that's a bolt clean through.

Quote Reply
Re: I poked a hole in an aluminum rim, can I still ride it? [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way I would ride that. Why risk it?
Quote Reply
Re: I poked a hole in an aluminum rim, can I still ride it? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said. I was going to comment about the stress riser created by the crack, but you covered it all.

I generally view incidents like this as a good opportunity to upgrade or try something different. I'd rather buy a new rim than pay for a co-pay.
Quote Reply
Re: I poked a hole in an aluminum rim, can I still ride it? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:

What makes you think I don't know? I'm an engineer and a wheelbuilder, which doesn't necessarily mean I know what I'm talking about, but I have a little more cred than the average person.

I not only state it with conviction, I live it as well. I don't worry in the slightest about an extra hole in my rim. It is particularly innocuous in that location. It requires no more attention than your frame, stem, bars, spokes, seatpost, or any other parts on your bike, all of which can fail with little warning and cause a crash.

Ai_1 wrote:
There are bigger things to worry about bombing down a descent than a rim that has an extra hole, you say. Well of course, unless it fails, in which case it was the biggest thing to worry about.
I don't know if it's safe or not, neither does the OP and neither do you. That's enough reason not to use it.

While bombing down a descent you are more likely to have a deer jump out in front of you, have a blow out, hit a rock, pop a spoke, wipe out on a patch of sand, collide with a driver who wanders into your lane, or have a dozen other parts on your bike mysteriously fail.

But if that extra little hole in your rim is really messing with your head, or you want an excuse to get something new, then by all means replace it.
Quote Reply
Re: I poked a hole in an aluminum rim, can I still ride it? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

What makes you think I don't know? I'm an engineer and a wheelbuilder, which doesn't necessarily mean I know what I'm talking about, but I have a little more cred than the average person.

I not only state it with conviction, I live it as well. I don't worry in the slightest about an extra hole in my rim. It is particularly innocuous in that location. It requires no more attention than your frame, stem, bars, spokes, seatpost, or any other parts on your bike, all of which can fail with little warning and cause a crash.

Ai_1 wrote:

While bombing down a descent you are more likely to have a deer jump out in front of you, have a blow out, hit a rock, pop a spoke, wipe out on a patch of sand, collide with a driver who wanders into your lane, or have a dozen other parts on your bike mysteriously fail.

But if that extra little hole in your rim is really messing with your head, or you want an excuse to get something new, then by all means replace it.
Whether you're an engineer and/or wheel-builder isn't the point.
And in answer to your question: Because I suspect you would have said, had you personally inspected the wheel, knew the model, the spoke lacing, the rider weight, the expected tyre pressure, etc. And even if you knew all that, it would be an educated guess.
Plenty things can go wrong. It's impractical and unreasonable to try and rule out every conceivable risk. This is a real and easily eliminated risk.

P.S. I'm an engineer too. There's lots of us around. I'm also an aerodynamicist but you won't see me giving everyone specific advice guarantees about their bike aerodynamics....because it's more complex than that. Same here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were My rim, i'd get a dremel tool to polish off the burrs, then I'd fill the hole with a structural adhesive- like scotch weld or devconweld

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I don't understand some of your logic.
Knowing there's a potential problem doesn't do much to protect you. Sure you could try and minimise stress on the wheel by riding exceptionally smoothly and avoiding any sort of road imperfections. You could try and minimise the consequences of a failure by riding slowly and and staying away from traffic. But seriously, what differnce is knowing there's a potential problem actually going to make?
You say "I wouldn't be bombing any descents just yet". When would you know it was safe to start bombing descents?

Fair points. My only point is that if it were my wheel I'd give it a try. And knowing that I had this issue with the rear rim would make me really focus on how it rides. I would definitely ride gingerly on it at first and increase the intensity if and when I become satisfied with how the rim is riding. Will that prevent a failure? Of course not. I would be personally willing to take the risk out of curiosity and because it's a rear wheel with an all rim. I'm not scared of the manner of which that particular part might fail.

I've found that when I'm mindful of a potential problem I have much more awareness of the symptoms. That doesn't prevent failure, other than it might make me stop a ride if I don't like some of the subtle symptoms.
Quote Reply
Re: I poked a hole in an aluminum rim, can I still ride it? [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
If it were My rim, i'd get a dremel tool to polish off the burrs, then I'd fill the hole with a structural adhesive- like scotch weld or devconweld

Or Bondo, and a little fiberglass cloth and resin...
Quote Reply

Prev Next