Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Powertap C1 chainrings - first impressions? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only time I EVER noticed a drop out on the C1 was during B2B. I'd gotten the PM installed that Wednesday before the race and only had the opportunity to use it for a 7 mile bike the day before the race. So, I was basically using it for the first time during the race. Since that time, I have not seen any drop outs or if there were it was only for a second and then it immediately came back. It also works really well with Zwift which I use a lot with the PM.

Just for reference I use the PM with a 705 Edge and also my 920xt.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap C1 chainrings - first impressions? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My girlfriend and I both have the C1. I use mine with an Edge 810 and have never had dropouts during my rides. She has a Garmin 920xt, and noticed that she was getting dropouts randomly during some (not all) rides. I put the Edge on her bike so that rides were being recorded with both it and the 920xt; we found that dropouts only occurred using the 920xt recording and the Edge was dropout-free.

The dropouts are infrequent enough (maybe a couple dropouts on every 3rd ride) that she's OK using the 920xt, but could be easily solved by getting a dedicated bike computer. The dropouts aren't nearly as from friends I've seen with Stages paired to watches.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap C1 chainrings - first impressions? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went from a SRM V, to a PT G3, then added another PT G3 for a race wheel, then moved to a Power2Max for a couple of months, then to a C1.

On both G3s I broke NDS spokes like crazy. Also went through two different rims cracking at the NDS spoke holes (warrantied). Finally broke a spoke in the closing laps of a huge crit and promptly got rid of one and just keep the second on my TT bike that rarely gets ridden.

So then I got the P2Max which was a massive PITA from the very first installation. Got the BB386 FSA and it would just not go in the bike. Just too tight. Two different frames, three different BBs. And then once I did finally get it on, the Q Factor was way wide or something and it just felt awful. Sold that after about three months of being totally sick of it (unfortunately bought it just before they slashed prices so lost about 500 bucks in a matter of months).

Bought a C1 late winter after my second PT G3 warranty because I was sick of the wheels and I wanted Shimano cranks and I didn't want to have to mess with it or think about it or worry about it going out or falling off or anything of the sort. Had to buy the older 5 bolt crank but even with that total cost was about 720 bucks. Has been plug and play and completely forget about it except to change the batteries every two months or so. Exactly what I wanted.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap C1 chainrings - first impressions? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the C1, it's my first powermeter and still learning how to take advantage of owning one. I went with C1 because it fit my current stock, cheap FSA Omega crank and gave me an option in case I ever wanted to upgrade the crank. Took it to LBS to install and got a call 30 minutes after dropping it off. Paired and started working without any issues. A month into it, it had low battery...swapped that and all has been well.

I'm happy with it, is the best I can tell you.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap C1 chainrings - first impressions? [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On both G3s I broke NDS spokes like crazy. Also went through two different rims cracking at the NDS spoke holes (warrantied). Finally broke a spoke in the closing laps of a huge crit and promptly got rid of one and just keep the second on my TT bike that rarely gets ridden.

Bad build, not the hub's fault. Powertap wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap C1 chainrings - first impressions? [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If using two different devices make sure that the crank lengths are the same on both as sometimes having them different can cause drop outs as they fight each other.

Might not be an issue with a crank based PM but just in case.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply

Prev Next