Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

forearm cast for swimming?
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,
I'm registered for Ironman China in 8 weeks and so far my training has been on the dot. Unfortunately, had a bike crash last weekend. My wrist took some of the fall and now having a slight discomfort whenever I rotate it. No major fractures but as it turns out, forearm needs to casted. It would take 4 weeks total recovery period.

I have invested so much for this race and will do whatever it takes to continue as planned.

Anybody here tried training with forearm cast?
Is there such a thing as a cast that I could use for swim? =)
Should I just let it heal and forego the cast?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: forearm cast for swimming? [bakz14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fractured my wrist in a cycling crash several years ago and I requested a fiberglass cast with a GORE PROCEL cast liner.
I did not try swimming with it on but it allowed me to run and ride my bike on the trainer as well as shower without having to worry about getting the cast wet.
Good Luck.

This is link describing the cast-liner in more detail.

http://castliner.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, sorry to hear about the accident. I have had a number of folks who have trained with casted limbs, it is better than NOT swimming at all, although in my experience there will be a decline in performance. Nevertheless, most of the modern "air-casts" or whatever they call them are OK to take in the pool. Back in the day of plaster and gauze, we wrapped it up in a bag. For those who simply couldn't make that work (or who were not able to put pressure on the limb), they spent their time kicking. Not optimal for a triathlete, but still better than nothing in my opinion. The old anecdote that I like from an old friend who swam age-group with Jeff Rouse, apparently Rouse broke his wrist or collarbone riding a 3-wheeler and could only kick for several weeks, and regained swimming capability shortly before nationals, where he still managed top-5 - as a high school kid. he wasn't doing the 2.8 mile, but...

regards,
r.b.

Bringing you Tweets @ http://twitter.com/findfreestyle and Not just a bunch of drills - A Process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke my wrist a few years ago. Got the gortex cast liner and swam for 4 weeks with it. My arm position actually got a little better because the cast made me more aware of what my left arm was doing.
Last edited by: GhiaGirl: Apr 4, 11 12:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bakz14,

I broke three bones in my hand this summer 4 weeks out from Benton Harbor 70.3, I know your situation.

There IS such a thing as a waterproof cast, ask your doctor to cast you in fiberglass with a waterproof padding material. Make sure you have a good blow dryer if you get it wet though because it WILL be slightly uncomfortable and might start to stink if you don't get it dry after every swim. I'd actually recommend just having it replaced once a week if you have good insurance.

With my waterproof cast I was in the water a lot, but because of the severity of the break in my hand I was unable to actually do any real swimming . . . besides the fact that it hurt quite bad to put the pressure on my fingers I was right on the precipice of needing surgery and my doc told me not to push it or else I might need an operation. Doesn't sound like that will be much of a problem for you though since you don't have any broken bones.

It IS very hard (and dangerous) to bike with a cast though, so plan on spinning a lot. As you can imagine, with your forearm casted (mine ended a few inches below my elbow) and your hand immobilized it is quite hard to find comfortable positions on the bike, and you can't shift or brake on whichever side you have immobilized. Running wasn't an issue for me, I ran every day just to be able to do something normal.

good luck, let me know if you have any more questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Timberman last year on a fractured carpal. Wasn't casted, but had a rigid splint. Was able to trade this for a lighter-duty soft splint on race day.

A few things to bear in mind: first, your swim will probably be lousy, but I imagine you're expecting that. Second, biking might be more difficult than you thought, especially if you spend much time on the bullhorns (long descents, etc.) Pothole strikes were just about excruciating.

Finally, make sure that you really do have full control of your bike in your current state. Can you apply full braking power with the hurt hand? Can you control the bike with one hand and eat, drink, adjust your shoes, etc. with the other?

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: forearm cast for swimming? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info and advices guys! Really helpful.

I'll ask my ortho about fiberglass cast. I remember him mentioning it to me before. This might be my best bet in case I get my wrist casted.

@xraycharlie
Tried running easily with no issues or discomfort. Also managed to spend some time on the trainer and noticed the strength on the injured hand dropped.
Can't seem to hold on the basebar as it's putting pressure on my wrist. I could imagine how it feels riding on rough road. Also felt "weak" when I brake or shift.

Currently, my doctor gave me pain killers and we'll see how it goes after 2 days. So far, discomfort was reduced. Although I often times hear a "click" whenever I rotate my wrist. Still hoping against hope a cast won't be needed.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the goretex lining for my cast and was able to swim in it for 6 weeks. It feels funny but you get the hang of it.
Quote Reply
Re: forearm cast for swimming? [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sprained my wrist a couple of days ago in a bike crash. I have a half ironman next weekend. Did you say you were allowed to swim in the race with a brace?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might be helpful to make it through mass starts!

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bakz14 wrote:
Hi guys,
I'm registered for Ironman China in 8 weeks and so far my training has been on the dot. Unfortunately, had a bike crash last weekend. My wrist took some of the fall and now having a slight discomfort whenever I rotate it. No major fractures but as it turns out, forearm needs to casted. It would take 4 weeks total recovery period.

I have invested so much for this race and will do whatever it takes to continue as planned.

Anybody here tried training with forearm cast?
Is there such a thing as a cast that I could use for swim? =)
Should I just let it heal and forego the cast?

Thanks!

As mentioned by others, there is a cast you can ask for that is swimmable.
I broke a wrist in a bike fall, the cast was on for 12 weeks, pretty much screwed up my season.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: forearm cast for swimming? [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me heal correctly. Don't go messing around it will prolong the injury.

You won't forgot how to swim, and once you can get in the water a few times before the race you will be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello bakz14 and All,

Article IV. SWIM CONDUCT Section 4.01 GENERAL

(a) Each swimmer must wear an official swim cap provided by the Race Officials. Failing to wear a swim cap at all times during the swim segment of the Race may result in a time penalty enforced by Race Referees after the swim segment in T1.

(b) Wearing swim goggles or a face mask is neither prohibited nor required;

(c) The use of snorkels, fins, gloves, paddles, or flotation devices of any kind (including pull buoys) is prohibited; (DSQ)

(d) The use of a cast or splint must be pre-approved by the Event specific Head Referee; (1:00 Minute Time Penalty or DSQ)

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This worked for me with my cast.

It ain't cheating if you're trying to win.
Last edited by: IronmanBilly: Jul 23, 17 11:38
Quote Reply