Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's happening?? Watts = HR. Trainerroad SweetSpot Base
Quote | Reply
Background: Been riding a bike for about 5 years now and 4x MOP Ironman finisher so I like to think I'm not a TOTAL newb. I really haven't done much other than weekend basketball games since last IM finish in September but am starting to gear up for 2016 so I started the Trainerroad SweetSpot base workout 5 weeks ago. I reduced my FTP to 85% of Ironman last year to use for the program.

Issue: Most workouts for the plan when I have to do sweet spot intervals shorter than 8 min are achievable. Hard work but not death defying. I feel like my HR is a bit high but nothing that doesn't allow me to finish the workouts at the set level. Now, when it comes to 8+ min SweetSpot blocks I am getting dusted. HR is in the 95%+ range, Power is weak- My HR is literally matching my power.

What does this mean?? Am I still only a few weeks into getting into shape that I am going to continue to struggle for a few weeks? Did I jump too quickly into this program and should be working on a different program? Should I just keep doing these workouts until fail? Am I bit discouraged because I can't hold a 20 min average w/kg that I rode an entire Ironman bike ride at 6 months ago. I have no problem continuing to do these workouts until fail but am trying to get back to fitness the best way possible.

https://www.trainerroad.com/career/saulski

'The best pace is suicide pace and today is a good day to die.'
Quote Reply
Re: What's happening?? Watts = HR. Trainerroad SweetSpot Base [ChiTri88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious as to why you didn't perform a FTP test to start. If not the 20 min test then the 8 minute test. You would at least have a better idea of your current abilities wrt the training program you choose.
And doing the workouts at the proper intensity would allow you proper recovery, better motivation to continue and allow you to be more consistent in your training which will get you back at your previous fitness much quicker.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: What's happening?? Watts = HR. Trainerroad SweetSpot Base [ChiTri88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its simple; you are out of shape. You took a long break and now you are paying for it. Cycling is a funny sport, gains are hard to achieve, but VERY easy to lose. I think you have lost a good part of your endurance and/or your FTP is set too high.

I did something pretty similar this last year and when I started back I had to reduce my FTP to almost 80% of my average last year. I'm most of my way back. But my FTP is still a good 30w below where I consider normal. Just keep pushing yourself and you'll be surprised how your body reacts. One of my best seasons ever was after a long break, and build that took me a good 3 months to get back to normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I don't get it either. You haven't worked out for six months and you arbitrarily set your FTP to 85% of your last known FTP? They're not fun but do the test.
Quote Reply