Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Time Trialist needs advice - How much is Di2 worth?
Quote | Reply
First off, I'm new to this forum, so hello. I apologize that this is a bit wordy, but trying to focus my question and everyones responses. Ultimately, this is a what would you do thread.

Then an admission: I'm not a triathlete but a roadie that does a fair bit of time trialing, and think it's a discipline that I'm fairly decent at (~52.5 min 40k) and could be dare-I-say "good" (sub-50) at with a bit more work. I've been working at improving my power and positioning over the last two seasons and have gotten better, but am doubling down this year (doing a lot of off-season gym work and strength training) and putting on some muscle to up my power. Sub 50 may not be attainable this season, but I still have a few years left of progression.

I ride for a domestic elite team that is sponsored by Scott. I am picking up a 2016 Plasma 5 team issue in a month or so, which is in-and-of-itself a huge upgrade from the open mold frame I've been running for the last two seasons (Sram 10sp force/red mixed group with R2C shifters). I seriously considered just going with the frame set, but the price difference between the frame set and the team issue bike was marginal and too good to pass up on.

As has been discussed at length, the bike comes with mechanical SRAM Red 22. All things being equal, I'd love to hang the bike with 6870, which seems like a more appropriate build, but as we all know, everything is not equal. At the end of the day, I'm an amateur racer with a fixed (although pretty nice) budget for such things. A condition that I applies to many of us and ultimately decisions have to be made. This is also exacerbated by the fact that that pot of money is divided between 2 bikes, with my road machine being the bike I spend the most time on.

So the upshot of all that is on balance, it would cost me about $1,000 out of pocket to convert from the Red 22 to 6870. So the question is... is an upgrade that arguably makes no difference to my ability to go faster on the bike work $1K, or is that $$ best spent elsewhere? Now is the time to break-down all the go-faster bits/training aids before we venture down the traditional rabbit-holes we typically debate.

1) Power-meter: Check. Got 'em for both the bikes. Running a SRAM Elsa on the TT bike and an Elsa RS on the road bike.
2) Coach: Check. Been working with the same coach for going on 3 years.
3) Wheels: Check. Have a HED Stinger disc and am running my Enve 6 clincher (of my 6.7 pair) up front. I'm also got a set of 4.5 tubbies for road racing. Have a decent set of training wheels also.
4) Skinsuit: Team-issue Castelli LS speedsuit.
5) Helmet: Have experimented with several over that last few years (Rudy Project, Lazer, etc.) I have settled on the Poc Cerebel - It may not be THE fastest out there, but works in a variety of conditions, allows me to keep my head out of the wind and provides good visibility and good [enough] ventilation. I also have a specialized Evade which is pretty slippery when conditions are super hot, though I did run the Cerebel at amateur nats this year when temps were in the upper 90's and miserable.
6) Fit: My coach (a former pro and top 5 finisher at US Pro TT) did the initial set-up and provides input, I've done a LOT of trial and error to maximize my power output in my position, and I've had a certified fitter (one of my teammates last year) do saddle pressure mapping and make a couple of tweaks, but otherwise confirm that "I'm solid". I've also been fit on my road bike and am confident with that position as well.
7) Other pieces of kit: gloves, shoe covers (or not), shoes, socks, etc. are all team issue. I don't have to deal with hydration or nutrition as none of my events are long enough.

So since much of the low-hanging fruit has been picked... where else can this $1000 go that would better serve me than into Di2?

a) My pocket: No option is an option. I've already had a healthy outlay for gear going into 2016, and wouldn't mind putting it into savings, travel, etc.
b) A cockpit for my road machine. I'd really like to get the Enve SES aero road bar. The narrower hoods and wider drops is very appealing to me as I tend to spend a lot of time in break aways (~$350).
c) Aero testing: Not sure $1k will get me very far here, especially considering travel to the nearest tunnel, so really this is out of reach. I will likely put up an aero critique post later.
d) Q rings: I run a 55t SRAM round ring now, but have toyed around with this idea. I have downsized to 170 crank-arms, which was a great move, and think there's merit in giving elliptical rings a go (~$200).
e) Front wheel: I was thinking I'd try to pick up a Hed 3 or a deeper front - maybe a Stinger 9. This would obviously eat up most/all of that $$.
f) Saddle: I played around with a few and settled with a Fizik Tritone which I like enough for all my events and general rides up to about 3 hours. My interest though is piqued by the Dash saddles and would be interested to see if there's any benefit there. My events are short, but we all know the benefits of being more comfortable and putting out more power.
g) Bearings: bottom bracket, jockey wheels, "event-only chains", etc. Seems like there is a small, but tangible benefit to be had here.
h) Tires: already following the testing on the new Vittoria's very closely. If not, will likely go with the Spech turbo cottons.
i) A new trainer: I'm using old school rollers with a fan - has done the trick to date, but are super loud and obnoxious. Was thinking a direct drive might be nice for doing TT specific workouts this winter inside and help close the gap on my FTP on my road and TT bikes (currently, I'm about 7-8% down on my TT power compared to my road bike). Then again, I HATE the trainer, sweat like a hog after about 30 minutes, overheat at anything above endurance pace and live in California, where outdoor workouts are manageable most of the time (though I don't ride my TT bike in the rain).

So given the options what would you do? If I went Di2, most or all of the upgrades above would be off the table. Is some combination of the above worth giving up the luxury of e-shifting? Keep in mind I've already been running mech for two years with little tangible detriment.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trialist needs advice - How much is Di2 worth? [schell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you consider to sell the bike after the season it might play a role to have Di2, worth the grand?, I don't think so.
If your TTs are not hilly you won't profit the dual shifting points...so definitely no need to spend the Bucks.
Over than that you might spend some cash on chainring coating, there were some things around here if I remember.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trialist needs advice - How much is Di2 worth? [schell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
personally, while Di2 is nice, I don't feel that it is'game changing'. I've never found that the ability to shift while in the brakes is a big thing, especially if you are a seasoned bike handler ( unless you need to brake alot in your TT- technical descending?) . if you have to brake alot in your TT you aren't doing it right.

As a roadie myself and also small local team sponsored, I appreciate the capability of being able to work on my own bike anytime, anyplace, at any race that mechanical gives. Snapped a cable before a race? visit any bike shop, get a cable for ten bucks, ten minutes of work, and you're good to go. Frayed a Di2 Cable, or Junction box gone kaboom? you're in oh-shit mode and scrambling for a last minute replacement, possibly out a few hundred dollars and still have at least half an hour of work (depending on how you've wired up the Di2). PLUS not all shops have these parts spare on hand, unless you travel with them. Granted Di2 failures are not common, but they aren't rare as hen's teeth either- I've seen a couple. (especially if you dont ride your TT bike alot and may miss out on certain things.) this is a HUGE factor for shop-sponsored guys like us who have nice gear but mantain it on our own budget. much more important to me than being able to shift on the brake hoods. SRAM eTap might be a different story, but I have no experience with it yet.

It sounds like you don't have that much you really need to do with the cash. If it were me I'd go with the Bontrager Race Lite Aero road bar ( similar to the Aero SES bar, but alloy, and a whole lot cheaper) . See if you can borrow or try a Dash before splurging on one, those things aren't cheap, but you'd need to be prepared to change the entire position you're playing around with the saddle. the start of off season might be a good time for this, so this could be a KIV for next year. I'm not that much into Q rings, I don't like them personally but YMMV. I see no point of changing wheels when you already have an ENVE front with disc rear. get your choice of nice BB/jockey wheels and save the rest of the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggest advantage to Di2 is the extra bit of length you get in the cockpit under UCI rules. If you don't need that, it's an incremental improvement at best. Shifting from the hoods just isn't a difference maker for the vast majority of TTs.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trialist needs advice - How much is Di2 worth? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True about the shifting, my new rig has the di2 brake levers, and more often than not I catch myself reaching for the bar end shifters anyway. At least until the muscle memory catches up at least.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you answered your own question.. No gain... 1 grand.. lol I would just keep the money seems like you're all good on stuff maybe tunnel time if anything
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of DI2 and have it on both my road and TT bikes, but in your position I don't think it's worth switching unless you do lots of very hilly TTs. I switched my TT bike to DI2 because I had a load of very hilly tris last year, but my first flat tri of the season was done on my old 6700 TT bike.

Better spend the money on a decent trainer and a subscription to Trainerroad.
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trialist needs advice - How much is Di2 worth? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
personally, while Di2 is nice, I don't feel that it is'game changing'. I've never found that the ability to shift while in the brakes is a big thing, especially if you are a seasoned bike handler ( unless you need to brake alot in your TT- technical descending?) . if you have to brake alot in your TT you aren't doing it right.

Shifting gears is not how Di2s help a TTer. Shift levers add 1.5-2cms to the UCI reach of a bike. If you need that distance to get more aero -- and most elite TTers do -- then Di2s will help get you more aero by allowing you more reach.

How do you know if it will help you? Unfortunately, the best way to know for sure will involve an aero test of some sort.

Disclaimer: we sell aero test services

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trialist needs advice - How much is Di2 worth? [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andy pretty much nailed it.

My $0.02 get a computrainer or some sort of other ergometer. Also, maybe consider buying a bunch of helmets off of eBay and doing some field testing of your own. There's a good chance there's 5w/20secs out there for you. When you've found "the one" sell the rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really just not worth it. I'm on Red 22 as well and really never felt the desire to have di2. Though I think I would grab it if it were free as kind of a "what the heck" sort of upgrade. For TT bikes, I don't think it would be advantageous. For reference, I have di2 on my road bike and probably wouldn't give that up for the world, and am considering it on my cx bike for muddy/quick shifting under power. But shifting is such a non issue on a TT bike, it's just a small flick, not under power, and not really that often. Certainly not worth giving up things that will actually make you faster in favor of what is essentially a vanity upgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll offer the counter point that you're asking the question because you know you want Di2, but want others to help you feel that it's ok.

So, if you don't get it now you will most likely regret it later. Maybe you see somebody with it at a race and kick yourself for not getting it. And when that happens and you decide you should have done it and make the switch will it cost you more then? Or you decide you can't justify it then and think about it every time you ride the bike.

So I say get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a new road bike last year and kitted it out with Ultegra Di2.

Recently, I got back on my old roadie with original Campag Record 10 spd. Can't really say as I missed having the Di2.....although the front shifting is superb. But living in pancake flat Chicago doesn't require much front shifting, so it is a feature largely lost on me. Wink

Di2 is nice, but nothing earth-shattering, IMO. I am even contemplating selling the new roadie with it at this point. So would I spend an additional $1K for it? Nope.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coatings on your CR's, cassette and chain. Another area is to look at: bearings for BB, wheels and jockey.

Like Andy F, disclaimer, we manufacture coatings used by many pro's and people on this forum. Feel free to email/PM me if you are interested in learning more.

Quote | Reply
Sounds very much in line with my thinking. I had it in my mind that it wouldn't be that much more than a standard group, but when I crunched the numbers, I was a bit surprised at the added cost. Ultimately, I was thinking someone might come up with a stellar reason that I hadn't considered, but sounds like the resounding consensus is no.

While it's true that I have been attracted to the idea of a Di2 TT bike, Di2 is not something that I'm completely sold on for several reasons (some of them mentioned here), and at this point, would not put it on my primary road bike. I really don't think it's something I'll regret not getting to the point where I'll ride the bike less - I'm far to pragmatic for that.

About 3 years ago, I ponied up for my dream bike, but after 2.5 years of flogging the crap out of it at races and pulling the front derailleur off the frame (the carbon in the seat-tube failed around the mount), I picked up a very basic Scott Foil with mechanical 6800, at about 30% of the cost and have been completely satisfied with it. It does what I need it to do in every situation no worse than a bike that was nearly 5-figures.

The longer I race (especially at this level), having the best of the best equipment-wise carries less water. I've been flogged by better athletes on MUCH lesser bikes. I've also beaten guys riding top-end bespoke Italian thoroughbreds. The best upgrade you can make is to your legs, lungs, and head. Time trialing is obviously a bit of a different animal than road races or crits, but at the end of the day, having Di2 isn't going to mean a hill of beans when guys can put out 20% more power than I can.

I also haven't had a problem with compliance with the UCI extension length with the R2C shifters on s-bend extensions, and will likely go with J-bend for this build and really don't think that's an issue. Besides, in the last two years, I have had my bike jigged exactly ZERO times, including at elite nats this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing some back of the envelope calculations it is going to take somewhere between 38 to 50 watts to go from a 52:30 to a sub 50. Forget the trinkets and book a trip to ERO or a WT. The minor changes you list will save you maybe 20-30 seconds when you need to save about 150.
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trialist needs advice - How much is Di2 worth? [QKRTNU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QKRTNU wrote:
Coatings on your CR's, cassette and chain. Another area is to look at: bearings for BB, wheels and jockey.
Coatings are good for about 200 miles in the most optimal conditions, and only offer 2-3w reduction in drag. Jockey wheels/chainrings and cogs: maybe another 2-3w, and do not perform as well with complete group component packages (do you have a pro mechanic who can retrofit and maintain all your gear all of the time?). Ceramic bearings: sure. You could also use gas, like nitrogen or helium, to inflate your tubes, instead of CO2, too...

IMO: save the money for your next even-more-aero TT bike, designed and built as an entire system, which comes spec'd with Ultegra Di2 or SRAM eTap.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Nov 30, 15 17:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in my opinion:

1) aero testing; you can do it yourself on the cheap using the Chung method/virtual elevation protocol or spring for the wind tunnel or aero camp
2) computrainer / kickr / other ERG trainers: you're missing out on a lot of quality pedal time; the overheating is a problem that you will get over in two-three weeks max. Use a big fan (or two) blowing in your face, watch netflix, listen to music etc... Do structured workouts and time flies. I train in my garage in South FL at 90F and 80%+ humidity and I do threshold, vo2, sweet spot etc... you can adapt.

schell wrote:
First off, I'm new to this forum, so hello. I apologize that this is a bit wordy, but trying to focus my question and everyones responses. Ultimately, this is a what would you do thread.

Then an admission: I'm not a triathlete but a roadie that does a fair bit of time trialing, and think it's a discipline that I'm fairly decent at (~52.5 min 40k) and could be dare-I-say "good" (sub-50) at with a bit more work. I've been working at improving my power and positioning over the last two seasons and have gotten better, but am doubling down this year (doing a lot of off-season gym work and strength training) and putting on some muscle to up my power. Sub 50 may not be attainable this season, but I still have a few years left of progression.

I ride for a domestic elite team that is sponsored by Scott. I am picking up a 2016 Plasma 5 team issue in a month or so, which is in-and-of-itself a huge upgrade from the open mold frame I've been running for the last two seasons (Sram 10sp force/red mixed group with R2C shifters). I seriously considered just going with the frame set, but the price difference between the frame set and the team issue bike was marginal and too good to pass up on.

As has been discussed at length, the bike comes with mechanical SRAM Red 22. All things being equal, I'd love to hang the bike with 6870, which seems like a more appropriate build, but as we all know, everything is not equal. At the end of the day, I'm an amateur racer with a fixed (although pretty nice) budget for such things. A condition that I applies to many of us and ultimately decisions have to be made. This is also exacerbated by the fact that that pot of money is divided between 2 bikes, with my road machine being the bike I spend the most time on.

So the upshot of all that is on balance, it would cost me about $1,000 out of pocket to convert from the Red 22 to 6870. So the question is... is an upgrade that arguably makes no difference to my ability to go faster on the bike work $1K, or is that $$ best spent elsewhere? Now is the time to break-down all the go-faster bits/training aids before we venture down the traditional rabbit-holes we typically debate.

1) Power-meter: Check. Got 'em for both the bikes. Running a SRAM Elsa on the TT bike and an Elsa RS on the road bike.
2) Coach: Check. Been working with the same coach for going on 3 years.
3) Wheels: Check. Have a HED Stinger disc and am running my Enve 6 clincher (of my 6.7 pair) up front. I'm also got a set of 4.5 tubbies for road racing. Have a decent set of training wheels also.
4) Skinsuit: Team-issue Castelli LS speedsuit.
5) Helmet: Have experimented with several over that last few years (Rudy Project, Lazer, etc.) I have settled on the Poc Cerebel - It may not be THE fastest out there, but works in a variety of conditions, allows me to keep my head out of the wind and provides good visibility and good [enough] ventilation. I also have a specialized Evade which is pretty slippery when conditions are super hot, though I did run the Cerebel at amateur nats this year when temps were in the upper 90's and miserable.
6) Fit: My coach (a former pro and top 5 finisher at US Pro TT) did the initial set-up and provides input, I've done a LOT of trial and error to maximize my power output in my position, and I've had a certified fitter (one of my teammates last year) do saddle pressure mapping and make a couple of tweaks, but otherwise confirm that "I'm solid". I've also been fit on my road bike and am confident with that position as well.
7) Other pieces of kit: gloves, shoe covers (or not), shoes, socks, etc. are all team issue. I don't have to deal with hydration or nutrition as none of my events are long enough.

So since much of the low-hanging fruit has been picked... where else can this $1000 go that would better serve me than into Di2?

a) My pocket: No option is an option. I've already had a healthy outlay for gear going into 2016, and wouldn't mind putting it into savings, travel, etc.
b) A cockpit for my road machine. I'd really like to get the Enve SES aero road bar. The narrower hoods and wider drops is very appealing to me as I tend to spend a lot of time in break aways (~$350).
c) Aero testing: Not sure $1k will get me very far here, especially considering travel to the nearest tunnel, so really this is out of reach. I will likely put up an aero critique post later.
d) Q rings: I run a 55t SRAM round ring now, but have toyed around with this idea. I have downsized to 170 crank-arms, which was a great move, and think there's merit in giving elliptical rings a go (~$200).
e) Front wheel: I was thinking I'd try to pick up a Hed 3 or a deeper front - maybe a Stinger 9. This would obviously eat up most/all of that $$.
f) Saddle: I played around with a few and settled with a Fizik Tritone which I like enough for all my events and general rides up to about 3 hours. My interest though is piqued by the Dash saddles and would be interested to see if there's any benefit there. My events are short, but we all know the benefits of being more comfortable and putting out more power.
g) Bearings: bottom bracket, jockey wheels, "event-only chains", etc. Seems like there is a small, but tangible benefit to be had here.
h) Tires: already following the testing on the new Vittoria's very closely. If not, will likely go with the Spech turbo cottons.
i) A new trainer: I'm using old school rollers with a fan - has done the trick to date, but are super loud and obnoxious. Was thinking a direct drive might be nice for doing TT specific workouts this winter inside and help close the gap on my FTP on my road and TT bikes (currently, I'm about 7-8% down on my TT power compared to my road bike). Then again, I HATE the trainer, sweat like a hog after about 30 minutes, overheat at anything above endurance pace and live in California, where outdoor workouts are manageable most of the time (though I don't ride my TT bike in the rain).

So given the options what would you do? If I went Di2, most or all of the upgrades above would be off the table. Is some combination of the above worth giving up the luxury of e-shifting? Keep in mind I've already been running mech for two years with little tangible detriment.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Equipment wise...you need some decent front wheels... 90deep and a H3. That's it. Then you're gonna need a huge 20 min power increase ...natural or unnatural to knock off 2.5 min.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the sentiments, but as a shorter distance road-TT'st myself, I do love being able to hammer out of the saddle AND shift gears when starting.

I also like being able to travel with the Di2, disconnect the wires for packing, plug them in and voila! Nice to not have to worry about it prior to race day.

Just my 0.02c.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing you may have overlooked. If you have a 10sp HED Stinger disc it can not be converted to 11sp so you may need a new disc to run Red 22 or 6870. I have the same setup on my Shiv and considered the upgrade to DI2 or Red 22 this winter and decided against it for this reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trialist needs advice - How much is Di2 worth? [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:
One thing you may have overlooked. If you have a 10sp HED Stinger disc it can not be converted to 11sp so you may need a new disc to run Red 22 or 6870. I have the same setup on my Shiv and considered the upgrade to DI2 or Red 22 this winter and decided against it for this reason.

Or you could just put 10 cogs of an 11-speed cassette on that wheel, and still run an 11-speed setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trialist needs advice - How much is Di2 worth? [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:

When I got my disc, I made sure it was 11 speed compatible ;). Though FWIW I had a set of ardennes and didn't want to spend the $$ for the conversion kit. 10 minutes with a dremmel and boom! 11sp compatible. It's a bit of a hack job, but have run it for >5k miles with no issues. I figured what the hell, if I botched it and ruined the freehub body, I'd have to buy a new one anyway, so I really had nothing to lose.
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trialist needs advice - How much is Di2 worth? [Snicks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snicks wrote:
I agree with the sentiments, but as a shorter distance road-TT'st myself, I do love being able to hammer out of the saddle AND shift gears when starting.

I also like being able to travel with the Di2, disconnect the wires for packing, plug them in and voila! Nice to not have to worry about it prior to race day.

Just my 0.02c.

Valid points, and yes, that would be nice to shift while on the base bar, but not worth laying out $1000 IMO. It's not something I've missed so far.

Regarding travel. When I travel for stage races etc., I'm typically driving. I'm not doing the NRC circuit, and flying with two bikes and my wife becomes a major expense, so typically just get a few buddies and turn it into a road trip. With nats being in Kentucky?? this year though, I may reconsider that. It's possible though we get someone to drive all the bikes out. TBD at this point. I'm more concerned with having the bike damaged than convenience regarding assembly/disassembly.

I appreciate the thoughts though.
Quote Reply
Re: Time Trialist needs advice - How much is Di2 worth? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Doing some back of the envelope calculations it is going to take somewhere between 38 to 50 watts to go from a 52:30 to a sub 50. Forget the trinkets and book a trip to ERO or a WT. The minor changes you list will save you maybe 20-30 seconds when you need to save about 150.

That's actually less than I thought it would be. There are guys out here that have been consistently flirting with the Amateur 40k record for the last few years. They're going sub 48, but also doing 400+W for the duration. My FTP is ~340 currently, but only getting about 315 of that on the TT bike. I'm aiming to bump that to about 365-370 this year (on the road bike), so if I can squeeze 8% more out of my physiological FTP and get more of that through my TT position, seeing a 35w gain over last year seems do-able. This is a multi-year pursuit though, so progression and incremental gains year over year seem like they'd put this goal within reach - maybe not this year, but next year (2017), it seems possible.

Point taken on the aero testing though. It's something I will likely need to do to get there. Though there are lots of things I probably need to do to have a shot against guys that sleep in altitude tents every night.
Quote Reply