Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aussie sc Nats, women's 200 free.
Quote | Reply
Is this a record for the number of records set in a single race?

"There was a total of seven records in that one race – the World, Commonwealth, Australian and Australian All-Comers records in the 100m to Campbell and the Commonwealth, Australian and Australian All-Comers records in the 200m to McKeon."

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/...with-200-free-split/

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Aussie sc Nats, women's 200 free. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Is this a record for the number of records set in a single race?

"There was a total of seven records in that one race – the World, Commonwealth, Australian and Australian All-Comers records in the 100m to Campbell and the Commonwealth, Australian and Australian All-Comers records in the 200m to McKeon."

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/...with-200-free-split/

Maybe i missed something but why did she decide to swim her best 100 in the 200 final??? Did she have a bad race in the actual 100 free final, so was trying to show she was faster, or???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Aussie sc Nats, women's 200 free. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kinda odd that she said she would only swim 100, then came in last by 25 m.
My guess is that she finished the 200 slowly so as to avoid a DQ. I believe if she didn't finish the event she would be DQ'd, then lose her 100 record splits.
Quote Reply
Re: Aussie sc Nats, women's 200 free. [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
My guess is that she finished the 200 slowly so as to avoid a DQ. I believe if she didn't finish the event she would be DQ'd, then lose her 100 record splits.

Right, i see that but my main Q is why did she aim for the 100 record in the 200 final, rather than in the 100 final, or as lead-off leg on the 4 x 100 relay??? That just seems odd...:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea why she did it.
Didn't make 100?
Didn't feel like swimming a hard 200?
Not happy with 100 performance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She was going for the 100 record, and probably figured that since she wouldn't win the 200 anyway, blast a fast 100.

The other night Cate won the 100 in 51 low, so she wasn't unhappy with that performance. She knew that she was in awesome shape though, and this was another chance to do something special.

It's similar to when Ricky Berens set an American record in the 200y free during a 500 free. Or kids who just missed cuts in the 50 or 100, so they try to get them in the longer race.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Aussie sc Nats, women's 200 free. [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:

You have to finish the race legally for any intermediate times to count, plus you normally have to notify officials so they can have the correct number of timers taking the split (at least at smaller meets, may not have been necessary at Australian Nats.

It isn't that odd, it happens all the time. Not usually in lane 6 of the final though.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 29, 15 5:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Rumpled wrote:

Right, i see that but my main Q is why did she aim for the 100 record in the 200 final, rather than in the 100 final, or as lead-off leg on the 4 x 100 relay??? That just seems odd...:)

Because the 4x100 was on day 1, and the 200 was on day 3.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Rumpled wrote:

Because the 4x100 was on day 1, and the 200 was on day 3.

OK, i guess that clears things up.

Last edited by: ericmulk: Nov 29, 15 17:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't put it that way. That implies that somehow she wasn't prepared to swim fast on day 1. She won the 100 in, I believe, a #1 ranked time in the world. That was a seriously fast swim. This just happened to be a little bit faster, for whatever reason.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I wouldn't put it that way. That implies that somehow she wasn't prepared to swim fast on day 1. She won the 100 in, I believe, a #1 ranked time in the world. That was a seriously fast swim. This just happened to be a little bit faster, for whatever reason.

No disrespect was intended.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I know you well enough, at least over the Internet, by now that I know you didn't intend any disrespect. I'm just saying how it can come across, that's all, especially if someone doesn't understand the sport, they might interpret your comments as you saying that Cate screwed up somehow.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I think I know you well enough, at least over the Internet, by now that I know you didn't intend any disrespect. I'm just saying how it can come across, that's all, especially if someone doesn't understand the sport, they might interpret your comments as you saying that Cate screwed up somehow.

Right, understand your point. No offense taken:)

Quote Reply