Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [Kate S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kate S wrote:
... I've broken two of the mounts this season. They break where the velcro strap holds the bottle to the mount. The mounts are not up to the task of keeping the bottle in place.

I had the same issue - broke the tabs. The bottle was always loose in the tray anyway - the tabs didn't help tighten it much.

I found a great solution though…I put a wrap of adhesive velco around the bottle in the groove where it slides into the tray - this stops the bouncing. Then I put a small strip of velcro on the stem end of the tray (where it curves). Make sure both pieces of velco are the same (hooks or loops). Finally I have a long piece of velcro that I start at the stem end of the tray (on the adhesive velco) and then wrap around the bottle (picking up the velcro I added to the bottle) and back again. It is 100% solid and stops the rattling. 5 minutes work

Still no luck with the splashing though. It is even worse because I have the trap upside down to get the right fit for my Felt. Too bad we have to be the ones to figure this out.

I raced IMLou this past weekend and was riding on a fairly rough section, about to take a drink, when my Aero30 bottle took the express elevator to hell and busted on the road. I inspected the mount kit and noticed it was broken where the velcro strap threads through. I ended up having to throw a bottle between my aero bars for the next 30 miles, holding it in place with my arms and hands, which was quite the hassle on a bumpy road.

I requested a warranty replacement of both the mount kit and bottle from Torhans. I'm waiting to hear back from them, and will post the action taken here.

IMO, the mount kit has a design flaw and should be covered under warranty. There's no reason it should have broken, even on rough roads. A crash or other blunt hit would be totally different.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the 30 at IMKY. I do not think I will use it for an Ironman again, and here is why. When I get to an aid station, I first need to get to the Gatorade (it was further down from the water at all aid stations). Then I had to get the twist cap open enough to spray into the top, but not unscrew the cap from the bottle. At the 1694 turn around aid station, I tried and failed. I ran out of aid station before I got any Gatorade into the reservoir and just ended up chucking a full bottle at the last chance to litter line. I thought I still had plenty in there, but since the bottle is not translucent, there is no way to know -- turns out it was almost empty. It was low 50's out at this point, so I did not need that much and no damage done. Next aid station I planned to stop briefly to take off my wind vest and arm warmers, so I also filled my reservoir while stopped. I filled it on the fly the rest of the way, but rarely got a full bottle in (the one time it was working well, I overflowed the bottle and Gatorade went everywhere). A couple of times I got the cap partially unscrewed and more Gatorade went outside the bottle than in. Also, while fooling with the Gatorade, I had no time to get gels or other nutrition.

The thing that scares me the most is for as sketchy as all this was, it is a single point of failure. I will be struggling trying to hold onto hand-up bottle if it breaks. Last time I just used bottle holders BTA and on the downtube, and put the hand-up bottles right in. It was fast, less risky, redundant, and gave me time to get nutrition.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's amazing how in this day and age the manufacturers of these bottles still can't get it right. Back 10 years or so everyone was moaning about the Profile aero bottles which were also prone to empty their contents over the road - you used to see yellow foam pads littering the side of the road after races ! Back in the nineties you used to get Jetstream bottles that were brilliant, a piece of nylon gauze around 2 in thick at the top with a lip to stop the gauze coming out - worked brilliantly and were so, so easy to fill on the go ( I couldn't find a photo ! ).

Like most things in the world of triathlon - we're going round in circles ?
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using the 30 since this season,and......it splashed all over the place. Since I'm using water only its not that big of a prob but it's annoying like hell no matter what cap I used.
So I keep using the 2 slotted caps but cover em with duct tape which I just pull to side to fill on the fly and stick it back. It only sticks on the bottle itself, not the cap.

The leashes for the Velcro broke after a few uses.
I pulled really thin zip ties where the first joint is and used then a bigger Velcro to pull the bottle back in. Like the original system but stronger.
And yes ......it still rattles.
Still like it more over the bta option cause of where the weight is put but for that price I expected I little more.
And like others said....before I placed the order I questioned by mail something......I still wait for reply.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
I also used some silicone glue to secure the straw in place, since I do not use the aero-straw mast.
I don't use the aero straw mast too. But instead of silicone glue, I use white plumbing tape around the straw where it meets bottle. Keeps the straw snugly in place. Also have a little rubber washer on tops of it. The washer came from some spare parts for the sink tap. Works great.

Was tempted to buy the aero straw mast to try it out but hear lots of stories about it and didn't wanna spend $ if it ain't going to work that well.

Also, I have a lower splash guard and and completely covered cover. No splashes from there. A lot of the splashes come from the straw after drinking though, which is normal unless you get a bite valve. Am contemplating to cut the cover for quicker refill... but again, afraid will cause more splashes.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did your solution work?

The bit where the velcro goes through has broken on my mount. Was thinking of following you idea of using a smaller zip tie to create a loop. Can you show a picture?
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [StevoMeano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What splashing? We will have the new Aero 20s and 30s in Kona next week. First units available next month on http://www.torhans.com. I'll get better pics on here soon and will have videos on our Facebook page next week showing just how spill/splash proof these are. If you are in Kona, stop by our booth outside of Huggo's with Ceramic Speed.

We now have new material in the mounts. If you have a broken one, we will warranty if it was a defect.

[URL=http://s46.photobucket.com/...zpszqsqa673.jpg.html][/url]

Hans Bielat
TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
http://www.torhans.com
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [Ted Striker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the new look. Magnetic closure?

My anti-splash fixes have been effective, but that looks easier to refill on the fly for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [Ted Striker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
backwards compatible?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"We now have new material in the mounts. If you have a broken one, we will warranty if it was a defect"

How does one tell if it was s defect? I broke my tray where the velcro strap was supposed to go. I've done what the other above have done and looped zip ties into the more stable portions of the tray (by the swivel point of the adjustable wings)

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's is good news with the new anti-splash cap. Looks good too!
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
"We now have new material in the mounts. If you have a broken one, we will warranty if it was a defect"

How does one tell if it was s defect? I broke my tray where the velcro strap was supposed to go. I've done what the other above have done and looped zip ties into the more stable portions of the tray (by the swivel point of the adjustable wings)

Do you have a pic of how you loop the zip ties? I need a quick fix for next weekend's tri race as mine just broke over the weekend from rattling :(
Last edited by: StevoMeano: Sep 29, 16 1:17
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [StevoMeano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for delay mate, here you go.

Ain't rocket science though ;-)

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
Sorry for delay mate, here you go.

Ain't rocket science though ;-)
I see what you mean. Nice. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ted Striker wrote:
What splashing?
Seriously? Guess it's mentioned in this thread once or twice....both combinations (thin slotted first,closed or slotted on top of that) doesn't work as splash guards. Still water coming out (which gets the joint bolts rusty for sure)

Ted Striker wrote:
We now have new material in the mounts. If you have a broken one, we will warranty if it was a defect.
Nice offer, since I'm in Europe it would bust the cost to ridiculousness to send it in.

The new splash guard (if it works) should be offered to everyone who stuck to the system with duct tape and whatever homemade style.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
StevoMeano wrote:
PushThePace wrote:

Do you have a pic of how you loop the zip ties? I need a quick fix for next weekend's tri race as mine just broke over the weekend from rattling :(

Here is what I did

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing the pics of your quick fix.

I got to give kudos to Torhans. Torhans is a fantastic company who stand behind the quality of their products. After contacting them, I got a response within 24 hours and I already have a replacement warrantied Aero Mount on the way to me. I would definately buy Torhans products again for sure! Besides it looking so good, it has great customer service too!

Thank you!

-Stephen
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [ ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had anyone used the Profile Design Aerodrink Bracket for the torhans aero30? That bracket seems a lot beefier than torhans' but fit could be an issue.... I was about to go rising when my bracket busted right at swivel part, lucky it was only water!!!

I'm seriously reconsidering this BTA for something more "conventional" for BRA

That bracket needs some serious help! Can anybody make an aluminum version of it?! Please do and take my money! 💰💰💰

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ted,

My friend gifted me this torhans setup now that I have a broken bracket what do I do? Can I send you pics of it to get a replacement?

Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a bike racer only, this stuff is both innovative and humorous at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Opinion on Torhans Aero Bottle and Mount Tray [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So "Ted" from @torhans obviously never replied and basically was forced to buy another bracket in in order to have a hydration system on bike as i was using BTS 2 cages but now that i ride on a PN3.0 that BTS mount is no good... with the "latest mount" from torhans i wanted to know if it had gotten better at all? Anyone has any reviews/inputs???

Quote Reply

Prev Next