Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 7 hours Lay over in Honolulu: time and logistics for open water swim? [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are making your username proud. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: 7 hours Lay over in Honolulu: time and logistics for open water swim? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! Thanks.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: 7 hours Lay over in Honolulu: time and logistics for open water swim? [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live quite close to the Honolulu airport, and although it's convenient for lots of things, open-water swimming is not one of them. The ocean is so close, but nothing you would want to swim in. I swim 2-3 days a week in a local pool, and if I'm lucky, I make it to a beach for a longer swim on the weekends.

Yeah, I know, poor me. ;)

I'd generally agree that the hassle (traffic variables, storing bags, etc) isn't worth it. The Arizona Memeorial option that someone else recommended would be a good layover activity. You can't bring bags inside, but they have a secured bag check.
Quote Reply
Re: 7 hours Lay over in Honolulu: time and logistics for open water swim? [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your answer. When I posted I was hoping somebody would reply "sure, I do this every time I fly back and this is how you do it..." or along those lines. Based on the consensus I need to get back to the drawing board.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What date are you looking at?
Quote Reply
Re: 7 hours Lay over in Honolulu: time and logistics for open water swim? [rexcoltrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4/30.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live on Oahu and swim Ala Moana Beach Park all the time, it is a favorite swim/standup paddle spot. I like the car rental idea. I park and leave my bike in my Suburban at Ala Moana all the time while I'm swimming. I never hear of break-ins there. Ala Moana is a 17 min drive with no traffic, I would guess 30-45 with the worse traffic. But that is just going there. Going back to the airport will be about 30 minutes (mostly against the traffic). HNL security is pretty easy, 60 minutes prior to your flight is plenty of time to get through security for US flights. Another option for your bags is to check them before you leave the airport, only carry a nap sack to the beach. Beach parking should be easy on a Thursday morning. There are beach showers that people use with soap all the time, so no reason to need a hotel room. Should be a great adventure!

BTW, if you swim Ala Moana via the buoys, it is about 1.3 mi out and back. I park in the Diamond Head side (eastern most parking lot).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ala Moana beach is your best bet. It's like a huge open water swimming pool, 1k each way. Logistically, I agree with other posters that you would be best off renting a car and keeping your stuff in it. BUT, traffic is going to be bad until about 9-10am, so I'm not sure you will have enough time. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: 7 hours Lay over in Honolulu: time and logistics for open water swim? [lollice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone else recommended a swim then eating at Tango http://www.tangocafehawaii.com/
Liliha Bakery http://lilihabakeryhawaii.com/about_us
Nico's at Pier 38 http://nicospier38.com/

Ocean swim in Hawaii followed by great food?
Hmmm, guess I'll go on Orbitz to check out airfares.

KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ala Moana beach park is a great place for open water training. Lots of parking, short walk to the beach, marked bouys in a protected area, and showers nearby.

But I have no idea why people are recommending it other than a place to train. The water is pretty disgusting, and you're lucky if the water clarity is more than 3 feet. The water around Waikiki is much clearer, you'll see reef, fish, and maybe some dolphins. The only thing you might see at Ala Moana is trash in the water. Well...sometimes you might see a turtle, but it will scare the living shit out of you because you won't see it till it's right in front of you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next