Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Computer Ideas for Zwift [jmX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmX wrote:
stevej wrote:
I just bought an Alienware Alpha yesterday. I went with the i-3 with 8 gb of memory. I was torn between the i-3 and i-5 but seeing how this is really only going to be used for zwifting and running racermate one, I opted to save the money. Should be here tomorrow, I'll let you know how it works out.

Awesome. All the alienware alpha's currently have the exact same GPU, so the cheapest one will run Zwift basically as fast as the nicer one. Almost no performance penalty for saving a little money.

Ordered the cheapest Alienware Alpha today. Got it for $479.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Computer Ideas for Zwift [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw this deal today and the alpha is $429 shipped: http://www.techbargains.com/...a-deals#newsID446719
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you send me the $50 since you were late with linking that deal? ;-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Computer Ideas for Zwift [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found it on sale right now at bestbuy for $399.

At first I was considering getting an inexpensive All-in-one that could handle Zwift, but after learning about Alienware Alpha, I may consider going that route. But would require me to purchase a monitor.
Quote Reply
Re: Computer Ideas for Zwift [illskittlz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have you thoight of mini pc computers - like mini-x for example?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a little confused about the alienware alpha. Since the computer doesn't come with a keyboard or mouse, do you use an Xbox controller to use Zwift? That would be ideal (I think), but given Zwift isn't part of Steam, I'm confused how this works.

Thanks,
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Computer Ideas for Zwift [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you would just supply your own keyboard and mouse and use it like a regular PC

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Computer Ideas for Zwift [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK got it, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Computer Ideas for Zwift [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously not a lot of gamers on here.....
Quote Reply
Re: Computer Ideas for Zwift [cknoxpRTR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do I snipe in Zwift?
Quote Reply
Re: Computer Ideas for Zwift [WHY86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm running Zwift on a 5 year old Dell XPS laptop without any issues. I'm not sure how you can see if it's on High, Ultra or whatnot but I think the graphics are blurry when you're pushing hard anyway lol. This laptop has 8GB RAM and an NVIDIA GPU of some kind. I think you'll be ok with that bdget and like another user states, a new Dell is $479 and will work out of the box just fine.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Computer Ideas for Zwift [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WiFi has a couple components to a connection. Connecting to an Access Point (AP) gives you signal strength (measured in Received Signal Strength Indicator or RSSI), however that tells you nothing about the capacity of that AP - it could be constrained by a poor internet uplink (bandwidth constrained) , too many users attached to to it (connection constrained) , or slowed down by an old device forcing it into a slow compatibility mode.... that is the dump truck in the fast-lane problem.

Run speedtest over both the Wi-Fi and Wired connections to see how big a performance hit you are taking.

I have two WLANs in my house - one 'public' one that I connect all the wi-fi connected appliances to (last count I was over 2 dozen) and a private one that runs only 802.11n for my performance sensitive devices. That keeps my thermostat from causing problems with my work traffic. Some higher-end Wi-Fi routers allow you to set up 2 networks for just this reason.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All
Anyone know if the below spec laptop will be sufficient for Zwift? I have no idea. Im looking to buy a new laptop anyway but want to make sure it will be sufficient to also run Zwift

Quote Reply
Re: Computer Ideas for Zwift [IMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm running zwift on a $150 hp laptop with a celeron and 2gb of ram, outputting hdmi to a tv. It works fine.

However if I run it on a gaming desktop computer and put a movie on the other screen from the same computer, it goes to hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am running Zwift with Kangaroo Mobile Desktop ($99.00) with Garmin ANT+, HDMI cable connection to my LED flat screen TV, and ANT+ keyboard/mouse. You can find the Kangaroo specification from the Microsoft Store. Just a FYI, I moved the Kangaroo with the ANT+ close to my Powertap P1 and that solved the on and off power drop out between my power meter and Zwift. I have just ordered a USB extension for the Garmin ANT+, so that I just have to only move the Garmin ANT+ next to my bike and the Kangaroo stays where my TV is mounted. I am running Zwift and music app at the same time and did not encounter any issue and it worked fine.
Quote Reply

Prev Next