Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Ironman Anxiety
Quote | Reply
After completing 3 HIM's, I've signed up for Ironman Sweden 2015. Got 7 months to train, however starting to panic. I've read race reports saying it's very windy in parts of the bike, and I have to complete it within 16 hours.

They say that to get a rough estimate of IM time, you should get your HIM PB x 2 and add 2 hours. Unfortunately this would make me pass the cut off. I'm worried now but know I shouldn't take these things too seriously. My HIM's were tough conditions and weren't near best times for me.

Would be keen to hear others and their first IM experiences and how they dealt with the butterflies :-)
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman Anxiety [susanbarrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was lucky enough to do my first IM in my hometown so I had lots of family & friends around, familiar with the course, free place to stay, knew a lot of volunteers, etc. That said, I had done several race rehearsals during training (112 mile ride followed by an 8-10 mile run, all at race pace). I think these were key as the race itself just felt like another race rehearsal with an easy swim at the beginning and a few more miles of running at the end. Plus, unlike a training day, there was the excitement of the race itself and all the spectators which kept me going at a good clip. I had some pretty awful stuff happen during the race, so be prepared for the unexpected. Overall, if you feel confident in your race rehearsals I think you'll probably do fine. Best of luck in your training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
susanbarrie wrote:
After completing 3 HIM's, I've signed up for Ironman Sweden 2015. Got 7 months to train, however starting to panic. I've read race reports saying it's very windy in parts of the bike, and I have to complete it within 16 hours.

They say that to get a rough estimate of IM time, you should get your HIM PB x 2 and add 2 hours. Unfortunately this would make me pass the cut off. I'm worried now but know I shouldn't take these things too seriously. My HIM's were tough conditions and weren't near best times for me.

Would be keen to hear others and their first IM experiences and how they dealt with the butterflies :-)

I'd just say this. You can only control what you can control: what you do to prepare, how you train. Follow a plan. Follow it through. Work on weaknesses (I'm guessing bike handling?). Don't worry about the wind or any other crap like that.

You'll either make the cut-offs or you won't. If you properly train, I'm guessing you will. If you don't make cutoffs... what does it really matter? You tried. If you stay healthy in the future, you can try again.

Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Kentucky Mac said it well. Trust your training. I know it's nerve wracking because you don't really know what it takes to complete an IM until you've done one. That said, you can gradually build up your distances and do long bricks. That should build your confidence. Training with others to push you also helps. Good luck.

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster" - Greg LeMond
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll probably have better fitness after all the training. I did HIM x 2 - 2 hours for my first full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on making the jump, this is very exciting! First of all, your feelings of anxiety about doing a full are very normal! It is a long, tough day. But that being said it is too far out to worry too much about it now, instead do your best to re-channel that worry into your training and recovering; those are the most important things you can do. There are times where it does get stressful in preparing for an Ironman, I had my moments training for my first last year. The best way to calm your anxieties is do the training, be confident in your preparation and in yourself.

I am not sure if the rough estimate of your time is at all a good indicator of how long it will take you to finish, so I would not put too much weight on that. Plus you never know what the conditions are going to be like come race day, so also not something to dwell on. My friend did Sweden as her first full last year and loved it, she just finished before the cut off.

A few more tips: 1. Practice your nutrition so you can nail it on race day. You will need a lot more fuel during a full than a half, and you will more than double your nutrition and hydration when you move up from a half to a full. 2. For me race day morning was the most nervous I had been, I was fighting back tears the whole time before the start, so it was really important for me to be with my sherpas to help make me laugh and enjoy the moment. It all goes away when the gun goes off.

I hope this helps.Believing in yourself is a huge part of being successful.Let me know if you have more questions! I have a race report from my Ironman (Kona) on my website (link in signature) where I talk about my anxieties and such that might be helpful to read.

All the best,

Emily Sherrard
@EmSher1