Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Silca NSF Lube [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was sceptical but i tried it because all the cool ATMO guys wouldn't stop talking about it at paceline. It works great on my mountainbike with only 10 drops and a wipedown after rides. There must be some additives to help it spread to every link, it even "feels" different than any other lube if you put a drop on your fingers and rub them together.
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca NSF Lube [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Squirt doesn't last at all in my experience, particularly if it rains.
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca NSF Lube [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have tested against Squirt, which is really impressive in terms of friction (almost equal to hot waxing the chain) but longevity is a fraction of NFS Pro and only about 2x as good as olive oil! I think Squirt would be an excellent race day lube, comparable to hot waxing but much simpler, but seems to really need frequent reapplication, like every 4-6 hours as much of the benefit is likely gone by the end of something like IM distance bike leg.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca NSF Lube [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
We have tested against Squirt, which is really impressive in terms of friction (almost equal to hot waxing the chain) but longevity is a fraction of NFS Pro and only about 2x as good as olive oil! I think Squirt would be an excellent race day lube, comparable to hot waxing but much simpler, but seems to really need frequent reapplication, like every 4-6 hours as much of the benefit is likely gone by the end of something like IM distance bike leg.

Josh interesting info as always. Just one question, obviously if a chain starts to make noise you are at the point where it needs lube, but when you said the Squirt was only good for two hours, was it already making noise or just? Was the data you referenced from FF or do you have your own testing setup. Lastly, at least from a pro dynamic standpoint, the pros always ride too hard the first 30 mins, hour etc, I would think that is when you would want to have the free speed. Chances are saving a watt in the first hour may allow you to put out 5 more watts in the 2nd hour.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca NSF Lube [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas, those are good and interesting points, and honestly all of this chain lube stuff is so recent and new that I don't think there are solid theories on strategies like that yet, though I will say that since most athletes anymore are racing to power, and the chain losses are usually happening on the other side of the power meter, the only real effect would be a slight change in speed for the power output from the rider, so I can't imagine there is any physiological difference as a result. Also we need to remember that we are in most cases talking fractions of a watt, so the difference over 4 hours in chain lube related friction will be about equal to the difference between excellent head position and looking slightly down at your computer. I will say that for a Pro, the hot-melt wax dip and powder would be the way to go as starts out faster than anything else and actually gets faster from there for the next 4-6 hours!

As for drip lube durability, we work with FF on the friction testing part, and have access to the durability stuff that they did initially, but as they are no longer doing durability we have rigged up a motor driven setup here and use noise as the proxy for friction. The problem with durability is that the test fixture is sensitive to and affected by water or dirt or whatever else you throw at it, so it's really hard to test the durability of the lube without risking the test rig.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca NSF Lube [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Following this post I went and ordered some of the NSF lube (and paid a bomb for it with shipping to HK!). I have to say this is the most amazing lube I've used - to clarify, for my bike that is. I cleaned my chain and then followed the recommendation of circa 11 drops on the chain with with derailleurs running small ring/small cog. Pedaled backwards for a bit and it did seem to have applied itself surprising well.

Observations:
- My Shimano and Campy drivetrains are now the quietest they've ever been compared to the myriad of different lubes I"ve used over past decades.
- It's the beginning of proper monsoons here in HK so the riding is properly wet. My Sunday 3hr ride in the rain left me with more lube on the chain and less on my wheel/bike/etc than other lubes I've used.
- At the current rate of use I may have this bottle of lube for a decade.

There may be be better lubes but none of the big name ones I've used.

Quote | Reply
Any one here tried snake oil? I was told that it's the bees knees.

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca NSF Lube [BigCheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have. Are you selling? Or is this just a dick post?

Quote | Reply
Not selling. Where did you get yours? Is it rub on or squirt on?

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Re: New Silca NSF Lube [BigCheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EABD.

Prev Next