Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brief IMAZ Recap: 8:52. [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
Always interesting to see your race reports. I'm always amazed by the consistency of your mile splits on the run. You just never seem to slow down and are so consistent with pace. Do you look at your watch to pace yourself at all or is it all on feel? What is your RPE like from start to finish.
Thanks,
Will

The only time I'm really looking at my watch regularly is during the first couple of miles to make sure I'm not running too fast. Then I'll look at it when it beeps every mile. If I'm tailing off the pace and I'm not in a bad spot, it lets me know I should pick up the effort a bit. In general however, I go by RPE but also pay attention to my breath rate. My pace is automatic enough for me that I don't have to be guided too much by the Garmin. Toward the end of the run, the RPE obviously increases for the same effort as earlier in the run, but I'm pretty good at dealing with the discomfort. If I've fueled and paced well throughout the day, then I'm ready to make it hurt a bit more and try to pick up the pace and finish stronger than I started.

Prev Next