Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri bikes in century rides
Quote | Reply
Hi guys, this is my first post ever here. I'm riding my first century ride in a couple days at the 2014 Honolulu Century. I've only ever competed in triathlons so I only have tri bikes. Is it against the rules to ride a Seduza or a Shiv in these rides?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bikes in century rides [corybell1000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check the event site. If in doubt, email the RD. If you do ride it, only use the aero bars if you are out all by yourself. You will still get sideways glances.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bikes in century rides [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Check the event site. If in doubt, email the RD. If you do ride it, only use the aero bars if you are out all by yourself. You will still get sideways glances.

This.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they allow this I'm sure they would allow a tri bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just completed a century ride last weekend and rode my TT/Tri bike in that event without any problems other than it was the wrong bike for the event. Obviously, staying off the aero bars when riding in a group is both wise and an obligation on your part. That means you may be on your base bar until the first aid station, which was the case for me. I still spent way too much time on my base bars as people tended to group up throughout the ride, which resulted in numb hands after the ride was over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK to ride a tri bike, just make sure not to ride in the aero bars when in any kind of paceline. If you do find yourself in a group make sure you're on the drops w/your hands on the brake levers.

I did a century the other week where some jackwipe on a road bike with clip-on aerobars was being a moron riding aero in a fairly large group. Several people tried to 'educate' him to stay on the hoods / drops and when that didn't work some more forceful language to get him the F#%k out of the group followed. He was even wearing a local bike club kit, which made it even more odd that he didn't get the danger he was causing.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bikes in century rides [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyfac06 wrote:
OK to ride a tri bike, just make sure not to ride in the aero bars when in any kind of paceline. If you do find yourself in a group make sure you're on the drops w/your hands on the brake levers.

I did a century the other week where some jackwipe on a road bike with clip-on aerobars was being a moron riding aero in a fairly large group. Several people tried to 'educate' him to stay on the hoods / drops and when that didn't work some more forceful language to get him the F#%k out of the group followed. He was even wearing a local bike club kit, which made it even more odd that he didn't get the danger he was causing.

You can go on the bars if you are leading the paceline right ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bikes in century rides [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, that's fine... pull all the time :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bikes in century rides [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
dfroelich wrote:

This.

Agreed. Very important to contact the race organizer if it doesn't explicitly state what type of bikes are allowed. I looked into a couple of long charity rides this year -- one was totally fine with tri bikes, the other was not. I ended up doing the former... it was a course that was better suited to a mixed group of bikes and abilities. The ride that didn't allow TT bikes was very hilly and technical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Said it before and I will say it again:

Riding your TT bike is exactly like masturbating.

By yourself, a perfectly healthy way to spend time.
In a group of strangers, weird and uncomfortable for everyone.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bikes in century rides [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:

So well said that I am tempted to make this my new sig line.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As other folks have said, stay out of aero when it's busy, but I was in a similar situation when I did the Honolulu century 5 years ago.

I only had my tri bike, and it's fine. If I had another bike, I would have used it, but you'll be fine on the tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just please, leave the disc and aero helmet at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:

This makes me wish Slowtwitch had a 'like' button.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will see hundreds of tri bikes out there. I always used it as a catered long course ride to prepare for whatever late season IM I was training for and quite a few others do to. Be extra careful passing, especially as you get back towards town and you start catching the 5 hour, 25 mile riders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too funny i just spit my morning tea on my pc screen reading this and my coworkers are all asking me what is so funny.

I will definitely use this saying.

Thanks for the Monday morning humor.

Best,
GS
Quote Reply
Re: Tri bikes in century rides [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It came to me riding Teddy King's charity ride last year and watching people on tt bikes trying to ride in a group on dirt roads.

It just seemed wrong.

Happy to start your monday off right.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:

Well played sir!!!!!!

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply