Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I would wear it, but It doesn't fit me well enough, so I think a frame is likely where mine will go.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you're saying it is disrespectful in your opinion, to NOT wear the jersey if they win one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
So you're saying it is disrespectful in your opinion, to NOT wear the jersey if they win one?

No. I was trying to say that the winner of the race is the person who shows up, races, and wins. To claim that they're not really National Champion, or whatever the title is, because others perceive different races as being more competitive, are not respecting the athlete that showed up and raced.

So respect the athletes and the titles they earned. Or, said another way, don't disrespect the athlete by claiming there are others, who did not show up, who are more deserving of that title.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Last edited by: Paul Dunn: Oct 5, 15 15:16
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, agreed. Same for if they were sick, got injured or had a flat tire. You start together & finish & what happens between those two points, doesn't matter. It's first across the line & all the in between is part of racing. It's not a "He flatted but would have won..." thing, because that is racing. First across the line wins & to throw "What if's" in there is disrespecting all the work of the winners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Right, agreed. Same for if they were sick, got injured or had a flat tire. You start together & finish & what happens between those two points, doesn't matter. It's first across the line & all the in between is part of racing. It's not a "He flatted but would have won..." thing, because that is racing. First across the line wins & to throw "What if's" in there is disrespecting all the work of the winners.

I like your response the best. I think it is something to be proud of accomplishing, but I think the winner should be humble enough to realize that winning one means that everything went their way on race day and they should be thankful for their good fortune.

As to whether you should wear the jersey? Go for it if you want to, but only for the 12 months following your win. I also kinda like that in cycling you can get arm bands to signify that you did win once. I think it is a subtle way to honor the accomplishment.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [Negotiator1225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Negotiator1225 wrote:
The only time I wear mine, at a Krispy Kreme 5k in 40 degree weather

10 million awesome points to you fine sir.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing I have learned racing at all levels over the years, is there are always MANY other folks who are better.
But, for whatever reason, they were not there.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [MeltingPot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MeltingPot wrote:
Paul Dunn wrote:
The same can be said for many sports, at many levels. Is the US Pro cycling champion the best US cyclist? Most World Tour guys skip the race. Is the Olympic marathon champion the fastest marathon runner in the world? There were 100 Kenyans left out of the event to make room for slower people from other countries. (No, not an exact number; making a general point that fast athletes get left out to make room for more countries.) You could even argue the Kona champion is likely not the fastest triathlete. After all, Richie Porte is not going to race, and that guys is super fast. There are likely others who could be fast on the day, but missed with the KPR qualifying system.

So this leaves one logical conclusion: the champion is the person who negotiates any qualification, shows up, and wins. It is not someone at home, who thinks they could have been faster. Or someone who had a "more important" race to do. Or someone with any other excuse.

Not recognizing that is disrespectful to those who actually show up and race.

you obviously realize what a stretch you're making. is the podium in kona a good representation of the fastest long course athletes on the planet? i'd say yes or pretty close to it.

is the age group podium at the us long course blah blah blah the fastest? no. are they the 10th or 20th or 30th fastest in the country? in many/most cases, probably not. that's why it's a joke, except for those who do it as they want to elevate their accomplishment

Do you feel better about yourself now?

It seems this quote is relevant.."Those who can do, do. Those that can't, criticize."

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
One thing I have learned racing at all levels over the years, is there are always MANY other folks who are better.

Ha. Ya I bet there is someone with a VO2 max of 95 sitting on a coach, drinking a beer and watching Wheel of Fortune at this very minute. Good thing they won't be at my next race.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey USAT Champs--do u wear your jersey? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Ha. Ya I bet there is someone with a VO2 max of 95 sitting on a coach, drinking a beer and watching Wheel of Fortune at this very minute. Good thing they won't be at my next race.

YEP, there are folks like this. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next