Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman 70.3 Austin [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
santino314 wrote:
I'd definitely do Kerrville over Austin. I lived in Austin for a few years and the course doesn't highlight what makes Austin such a great cycling city. I did the Kerrville olympic last year. It's got that small race charm; High Five Events puts on a hell of a show. I'll be out there again this year for sure, either spectating or racing.

High Five Events puts on Austin 70.3 also. But yes, Kerrville > Austin.

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Austin [stoney98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a course where you would not benefit from a disc wheel (that is under 7% average grade)?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc, yes, absolutely.

Besides the terrible bike course? There's the prickers, and the fact that the venue has no food or beverages outside of overpriced water and hot dogs. If I spectate it again I'll be bringing a lot of provisions.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stoney98 wrote:
Toby wrote:
mbwallis wrote:
I think a lot of the complaints are exaggerated. Traffic does back up race morning, so leave early. The grass burs in T1 are a pain, but just know they're there and carry your bike in/out. The roads are better than they used to be on the bike course. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions on it.

Thing is though, it's really not a nice venue. That's just a fact. Can you race on it? Sure. However, I had injury prevent me from starting Buffalo Springs, and instead of signing up for Austin, I'm doing Kerrville (no MDOT, of course). There's just no way I'm doing this course, even though I live here. It's just not worth it. I'd rather find some other race to do.

I know this is an old thread, so apologies for bringing it to the top. I have read people complaining about the bike course being rough, but what is it about the overall event that would prevent you from participating in it?

As a secondary question, is this a course where you would benefit from a disc wheel? I am not familiar with the winds in the Austin area.

Thanks.

I'll probably still be doing it this year, but just bc i have an iron distance 2 weeks before Kerrville. To answer your second question, a disc should be fine.

But things besides the bike:

Run course is boring as hell, windy (as in lots of turns, not breeze) 3 loop course. It used to be a 2-loop w/ a pretty decent sized hill, but they cut it out one year b/c it rained really bad before the event. The finish inside the events center IS pretty cool though.

The lake is pretty gross, but not horrible

For some odd reason they put the transition area in a place where there are thorns everywhere. So if you run barefoot, you're likely to get one in your foot. It doesn't hurt that bad, but it's annoying as hell. So you either have to put flip flops at the swim exit and run up a pretty decent sized hill in them to the transition area. Or you have to take your chances on getting one in the foot. Then, you have to run through transition w/ your bike shoes on, and if it is muddy, good luck clipping in (happened to a lot of folks last year).

The race itself doesn't have the typical Ironman feel (If i pay IM prices, I want the experience). The village at the Galveston half was packed. This one is just, blah.

The separated T1 and T2 is kind of annoying, but not as bad as I thought it'd be. It does increase your T1 time b/c you have to pack your wetsuit and anything else you want brought over to T2 in your T1 bag, but everyone else has to do this also.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Austin [CobraKai Triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. This is my first half-IM length, so I selected it based on time to train. Next year I am hoping to do the Oceeanside 70.3 and Boulder 70.3, when I have more time to train, but this race was a 5 month crash course in training. I did my first Olympic last weekend and am learning the little nuances to make things more efficient, but I am coming into this 'hot' with not much experience. Just looking for any little tidbits that might help with this specific event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did both Austin and Redman last year. My Redman time was ~30 minutes faster than Austin. This year I'm going back to Redman and have no desire at all to go back to Austin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CobraKai Triguy wrote:

Do you really think the lake is gross? I'm just curious as to why... it's pretty nice in my opinion. 10x better than swimming in bat shit at CapTex or TriRock!

As for the whole race itself... as many have said it's okay. There aren't any issues that make me not sign up for, besides the fact it just isn't a great venue. I've never thought the roads were bad enough justify all the complaints about them, but I ride in rural TX all the time so maybe I'm just used to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CobraKai Triguy wrote:
For some odd reason they put the transition area in a place where there are thorns everywhere.

"Thorn" is hardly an adequate description of the pure evil that is a sand spur.

They hurt when you step on them and hurt just as damn much when you pull them out. Of course, half the time the thing then gets stuck in your finger.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Austin [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgunthert wrote:
CobraKai Triguy wrote:

For some odd reason they put the transition area in a place where there are thorns everywhere.

"Thorn" is hardly an adequate description of the pure evil that is a sand spur.

They hurt when you step on them and hurt just as damn much when you pull them out. Of course, half the time the thing then gets stuck in your finger.

So flip-flops to the water exit it is!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Austin [hullcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hullcb wrote:
CobraKai Triguy wrote:

Do you really think the lake is gross? I'm just curious as to why... it's pretty nice in my opinion. 10x better than swimming in bat shit at CapTex or TriRock!

As for the whole race itself... as many have said it's okay. There aren't any issues that make me not sign up for, besides the fact it just isn't a great venue. I've never thought the roads were bad enough justify all the complaints about them, but I ride in rural TX all the time so maybe I'm just used to it.

If youre comparing cleanliness it to ladybird lake, then your standards for lakes are very low :)

The visibility is what makes me say that though. Keep running in to feet when I race there.

Quote Reply

Prev Next