Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Seriously? you're refusing to go educate yourself out of spite?

No wonder many of the smartest minds in the coaching & physiology world tend to be on here less & less. People, just like you I might add, want to be spoon fed everything, they refuse to go look it up or do any research. Their N=1 experience trumps research. They try to tell people who have done numerous research studies on a topic they are wrong. People pretty much refuse to admit that dissenting views from their own could be correct.

Believe what you want, but the research has pretty much buried the barefoot/minimalist trends. Ironically sales of minimalist shoes are down quarter over quarter for the last year to 1.5 years. Maybe this is the masses getting ahead of the research.

Since you obviously fall in the I need to be spoon fed camp as I mentioned above maybe this will change your mind and point out the flaws in your thinking. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...m=minimalist+running

Brian, as I stated earlier in this thread, just telling people "go search pub med" is not a very useful exercise in that if everyone went to the "library" we have no community constructive discussion which entirely defeats the point of a forum and sharing of data (as well as personal experiences) from which 100's or 1000's of eyeballs may benefit and learn (or at least avoid going down a misguided path). Thanks for posting the link above. I will gladly go read it. Lots of people are too busy in their day to day life to head to the "library" and do research from the ground up and read pubmed. Yes, you and others may see it as spoon feeding, but that spoon feeding is helpful for the sport community, so that thanks for taking the extra step.

I would disagree. The best education we receive is when we figure it out for ourselves.

Not that I disagree, but there's a massive difference between figuring it out for yourself, and understanding it with some guidance from people who have the relevant information.

You don't show up for an Econ101 class in college and have the professor tell you "ok, class. Of course the derivatives market is responsible for the economic collapse. I don't need to show you my reasoning, all the info is out there. I shouldn't have to spoon feed it to you."

Sure, somebody will find the studies and understand them, but you've lost a majority of the students along the way. Why do that?

--
Yes, I know it's grammatically incorrect. Blame AOL and their 90s-era character limits.
--
Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [yournotunique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But if that professor tasked you with writing a research and analysis paper...?
Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He probably would have done so after a couple weeks/months of previous lessons on the subject of said paper. Not asking me to do it from scratch.

--
Yes, I know it's grammatically incorrect. Blame AOL and their 90s-era character limits.
--
Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [Spoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I tend to go over on my ankles when I wear them. This does not happen when I wear minimalist shoes.

Look for a shoe with a 4mm heel toe drop. That might help

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
I tend to go over on my ankles when I wear them. This does not happen when I wear minimalist shoes.

Look for a shoe with a 4mm heel toe drop. That might help

To add to this, look at the construction of the sole around the heel. You want one where the heel cup is narrower than the padding underneathand where the padding comes around wider than the pinky toe. The Nike Free 3.0 comes to mind as one where you have a lot of stability built in, whereas in the Brooks Pure Connect you have less stability. Likewise I would say the Newton distance with 4 lugs has the least stability. I am totally prone to rolling on this when I take them off road especially on gravel trail that is flat buy mountain bikes have been on putting longitudinal ruts in the path. Also Altra instinct is rock stable...but zero drop. The Hokas are supposed to also be very stable according to what Dan says. I have a friend who just ran Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim (65K or so) in them and no ankle rolls.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 24, 14 9:48
Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [slow leak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That link was but one search of pub med. Everyone can change the search parameters to get several other studies, I didn't bother to really do an in-depth review of pub med, but used that to illustrate the power of doing a pub med search on your own.

IIRC the minimalist market was the fastest growing segment of the running market about 3 years ago at 8-12% quarter over quarter growth. Now the entire category is 4%, maybe less of the running market. Track spikes probably own a > % of the market. If that's not dead I'm not sure what is.

I do think the dead fad has shifted the running shoe market to more 3,4,5 mm heel toe drop shoes, more lighter trainer/racer type shoes & less bulky over supportive shoes on the store shelfs.

Another good place you guys could go read a lot about this fad (and a lot of other things related to training and performance) is here: http://www.sportsscientists.com

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Newton has 5 lug shoes now that may prove more supportive.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Better Physiological Adaptations in "hard running shoes"? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I think Newton has 5 lug shoes now that may prove more supportive.

Yes indeed...the entire time was sponsored by Newton I kept chewing the ears off of those who would listen. And they actually were. Here is the story. Danny Abishire (sp?) originally wanted 5, but 4 was a compromise for economical manufacturing. I am looking really forward to trying the 5 lug version.

Back to the original topic. For my run commute to the pool I decided to use the Merrell Bare Access. That's pretty well the hardest shoe I have outside of Vibrams...well my legs were somewhat trashed from the last few days of training....came back in and put on a pair of soft and cushy Nike Lunar racers instead. After the swim, I went to the football fied beside the Rec center and ran 8x100 accelerations...talk about mega padding....Lunaracers on astro-turf!!!

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next