Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tovi wrote:
My last FTP test was around summer and was able to hit 222 Watts according to TrainerRoad. Did another test this morning and was unable to hit that number, outcome being only 200 Watts.

I have my fluid trainer (an old, crappy TraveTrac I got for free from a friend but it works with TrainerRoad) and bike set up in my car garage and it's currently below 15 degrees in Chicago. Could that be a reason why I can't hit the same power numbers I did in the summer months? My guess is that the fluid is colder and remains more viscous so resistance is higher.

Is my reasoning right or should I suck it up and accept my lower numbers or retest?

It could be but it is the opposite of what you think, the fluid gets thicker as the temperature increases so if it's cold you might need to pick a higher gear to generate the same power since the trainer resistance will be lower.

And apps like TrainerRoad will be less accurate as the power profile for the trainer will be off due to the cold.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Last edited by: rbuike: Nov 19, 14 15:02
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [323Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
323Runner wrote:
my CycleOps Fluid 2 just seems to take forever to warm up. Like 20 minutes.

20 minutes is the minimum amount of time I spend warming up before doing real work. So if it takes 20 minutes, does it matter?
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
323Runner wrote:
my CycleOps Fluid 2 just seems to take forever to warm up. Like 20 minutes.

20 minutes is the minimum amount of time I spend warming up before doing real work. So if it takes 20 minutes, does it matter?

Yeah, it's freaking annoying for one thing but it makes things like 20 min FTP tests a PITA because as it warms up you have to really be paying attention and downshift to maintain your watts.
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [323Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
323Runner wrote:
So I know this is an old thread (like, REALLY old but hey at least I am using the search feature instead of creating duplicate threads!) but my CycleOps Fluid 2 just seems to take forever to warm up. Like 20 minutes. No, I don't keep it in the 40 degree garage or anything. It's in a 65-75 degree range all year long and I see the issue all times of the year. I'm just wondering, am I the only one? Should I call them up and see about swapping to a different unit or are they all this way? A guy at work had the same problem and punted and just went with a KK and it resolved it for him.

Thoughts?

It depends on how hard you ride, but 20 minutes does sound reasonable. Mine is the same way. I borrowed a friends green KK, and it was almost exactly the same. Keeping my Fluid2 until it craps out, which will probably be never based on how rock solid this thing is.
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
323Runner wrote:
So I know this is an old thread (like, REALLY old but hey at least I am using the search feature instead of creating duplicate threads!) but my CycleOps Fluid 2 just seems to take forever to warm up. Like 20 minutes. No, I don't keep it in the 40 degree garage or anything. It's in a 65-75 degree range all year long and I see the issue all times of the year. I'm just wondering, am I the only one? Should I call them up and see about swapping to a different unit or are they all this way? A guy at work had the same problem and punted and just went with a KK and it resolved it for him.

Thoughts?

It depends on how hard you ride, but 20 minutes does sound reasonable. Mine is the same way. I borrowed a friends green KK, and it was almost exactly the same. Keeping my Fluid2 until it craps out, which will probably be never based on how rock solid this thing is.

OK, that helps - at least that tells me it is a common thing. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [TriDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. It seams like the trainer needs to get "warmed up" to work out as well.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
323Runner wrote:

Thoughts?

Interesting, I had heard the KK Was less or at least not as dramatic. Been contemplating buying the KK and letting the lady use the fluid2 since it really has been getting on my nerves lately, this might push me more towards the kickr, despite being 3X as much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
323Runner wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
323Runner wrote:

Thoughts?

OK, that helps - at least that tells me it is a common thing. Thanks!

My KK is very stable right off the bat, my wife's Fluid2 is not.
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
323Runner wrote:

Thoughts?

Interesting, I had heard the KK Was less or at least not as dramatic. Been contemplating buying the KK and letting the lady use the fluid2 since it really has been getting on my nerves lately, this might push me more towards the kickr, despite being 3X as much.

Try the CycleOps Super Mag Pro. A little more than the KK, but no warm up, quiet (pretty much silent). The interval curve is about the same as most fluid trainers and it has a hill setting that ramps up the curve if you want more resistance at lower wheel speeds. Good for standing workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find the treadmill better for standing work outs....
Perhaps it's just me?!?
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [shadwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's just you. ;-)

Of course you know I meant peddling out of the saddle, you know like AC.
Last edited by: kini62: Nov 21, 14 14:53
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [ssmith2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ssmith2 wrote:

Thoughts?

Thanks for posting in this thread instead of starting a new one. Search is a great feature here! :)

I got a screen shot of my trainer ride, showing power stays even but having to decrease cadence because viscosity (resistance) is increasing:

http://www.miguelrunner.com/...-up-and-temperature/

I think this is normal simply because there's no way to pre-heat the oil in the resistance unit, to get it at "operating" temperature.
Last edited by: m3bella: Nov 2, 15 17:28
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [m3bella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m3bella wrote:
ssmith2 wrote:

Thoughts?

Thanks for posting in this thread instead of starting a new one. Search is a great feature here! :)

I got a screen shot of my trainer ride, showing power stays even but having to decrease cadence because viscosity (resistance) is increasing:

I think this is normal simply because there's no way to pre-heat the oil in the resistance unit, to get it at "operating" temperature.

Yeah, I think you are right. I went ahead and sold my CycleOps Fluid 2 and bought a KK Road Machine. Honestly, it is night and day different. I very much prefer my KK. Maybe placebo effect but I can tell a difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [ssmith2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can imagine there is a big difference.

I have the Fluid 2 and while for the most part I'm very happy the heat is a massive issue when doing challenging intervals.

The unit heats up pretty quickly and then it becomes impossible to keep a steady power / cadence. I only have one big fan, and its directed at the trainer - not me
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriNewbieZA wrote:
I can imagine there is a big difference.

I have the Fluid 2 and while for the most part I'm very happy the heat is a massive issue when doing challenging intervals.

The unit heats up pretty quickly and then it becomes impossible to keep a steady power / cadence. I only have one big fan, and its directed at the trainer - not me

I have a Fluid 2 and have the same issues as everyone else...

Trainer + bike stay in a room, apart from the main house, which does not have heat. Sometimes, it can take a while to get warmed up, but then you can feel the resistance amp up and then it is constant for the rest of the workout.

I wonder if it'd take less time for the trainer to get to "constant power" if I just took the trainer out of that room the night before and put it inside my house, maybe even close to or over the heating vent...it'd be a PITA, but I wake up and normally ride for an hour...it doesn't take long to set up the bike, and I'd start the workout with the trainer ready to go, vs waiting for it to warm up...
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know, I keep mine indoors always in one of the extra bedrooms so 70 degree temps more or less throughout the year. It takes at least 10 minutes for it to get warmed up. Until reading this thread I didn't know others experienced the same issues. I literally pedal with the same gear at the same cadence for 10-15 minutes and my power (have a Quarq) will go up 40+ watts over that 10-15 minute period. I just use this as my warm-up before getting into my actual workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tovi wrote:
My last FTP test was around summer and was able to hit 222 Watts according to TrainerRoad. Did another test this morning and was unable to hit that number, outcome being only 200 Watts.

I have my fluid trainer (an old, crappy TraveTrac I got for free from a friend but it works with TrainerRoad) and bike set up in my car garage and it's currently below 15 degrees in Chicago. Could that be a reason why I can't hit the same power numbers I did in the summer months? My guess is that the fluid is colder and remains more viscous so resistance is higher.

Is my reasoning right or should I suck it up and accept my lower numbers or retest?

How are you determining the wattage? You didn't mention what PM you are using. If you are relying on virtual power then you can pretend the 200 was 222 because it's anyone's guess if either of them were accurate or would even be consistent day to day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ssmith2 wrote:
m3bella wrote:
ssmith2 wrote:

Thoughts?

Yeah, I think you are right. I went ahead and sold my CycleOps Fluid 2 and bought a KK Road Machine. Honestly, it is night and day different. I very much prefer my KK. Maybe placebo effect but I can tell a difference.

Main reason I went with the SuperMag Pro over another fluid. Same progressive resistance and temperature "agnostic". Didn't even want to chance the KK as I have read of some having temperature issues. Not many but there are reported incidences.
Quote Reply
Re: Does temperature have a big impact on fluid trainer resistance? [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kini62 wrote:
ssmith2 wrote:
m3bella wrote:
ssmith2 wrote:

Thoughts?

Main reason I went with the SuperMag Pro over another fluid. Same progressive resistance and temperature "agnostic". Didn't even want to chance the KK as I have read of some having temperature issues. Not many but there are reported incidences.

I hear you. I have an older Minoura Mag trainer that I use some still and it is nice. I do like the KK better though. Seems solid and the resistance is considerably more temperature resilient than the CycleOps. In fact, I wouldn't recommend that CycleOps to anybody unless they lived in a very consistently warm climate.
Quote Reply

Prev Next