Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nashville: Best Neighborhood for Triathlete?
Quote | Reply
Looking for in ranking order:
1) Bikeable commute to downtown (ideally 30' or less)
2) Good + safe 1:30-2:00 riding routes right out your door that you can do during the week before work
3) Pool nearby, preferably on commute to/from downtown (50m would be awesome)
4) Good running routes (ideally some nice trails).

On top of all the training related wants we are also looking for are not alot of traffic congestion, good schools and affordable housing (though for these 3 our standards are NYC + DC so I am assuming we should be fine about anywhere).
Quote Reply
Re: Nashville: Best Neighborhood for Triathlete? [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Green Hills
Quote Reply
Re: Nashville: Best Neighborhood for Triathlete? [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heyMartin wrote:
Green Hills
x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for Sylvan Park! Easy access to greenways, bike commute to downtown is a breeze, and Percy Warner park is a 10 minute bike ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I live in Green Hills and your wish list is met by my house. When are you moving here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yea green hills for sure

i enjoy living in bellevue

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Nashville: Best Neighborhood for Triathlete? [djciii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where in Green Hills do you not have traffic?

I'd second Sylvan Park or Green Hills. Brentwood or Franklin if you want a little less city.

Swim with Excel.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Nashville: Best Neighborhood for Triathlete? [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live at Estes and Woodmont. Cut back straight through to Belle Meade from there to the boulevard. No real traffic
Quote Reply
Re: Nashville: Best Neighborhood for Triathlete? [djciii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts about East Nashville or the 12 South neighborhoods for the above criteria? My wife is interested in those neighborhoods as she'd like a place with an artsy feel. Also be interested to know if bike commuting to downtown is becoming a more common (and thus safer) occurrence in the city over the last couple years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nashville is the best. I miss it.

Biking the Trace and running Percy Warner Park trails make for fantastic training. But biking to work in downtown from areas in the Percy Warner/Trace vicinity is not all that safe. Drivers in Nashville are, to put it mildly, distracted. Those neighborhoods are also prone to bad traffic congestion and are fairly white and homogenous suburban zones for an otherwise relatively interesting and diverse city.

East Nashville has a pretty vibrant running community, and is a lovely neighborhood to live in. The local trails are limited to the flat (and sometimes flooded out) Shelby Bottoms trails, but they'll do compared to NYC and D.C. It's also a lot easier to bike safely to downtown from there on the bike path. It is also a little too precious in East Nashville, however.

Enjoy music city. Check out Station Inn for one-stop country/bluegrass/western delights.
Quote Reply
Re: Nashville: Best Neighborhood for Triathlete? [lmicah3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you tell me what route you take bike commuting from Sylvan Park to downtown? We found a nice house there but I am having trouble envisioning a safe commute downtown. I know there is a lane on Charlotte but that seems like a crazy road to put a bike lane. Any other safe bike routes to downtown (around 12th and Broadway)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there... a few things.

1. We used to commute down there often for the Wed night crits which were at the stadium. That being said, we were going around 5pm and didn't care if we took a round about way as we used it as a warm up.

2. This was back in 2010 so maybe things have changed quite a bit. In fact I know they have as my father lives across from Elmington Park. So maybe this isn't relevant anymore especially if this is a daily commute.

Here is a link to the way we'd take. I did it from memory so it might be a bit off and it certainly had a lot of stop signs/ lights.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6504388
Quote Reply
Re: Nashville: Best Neighborhood for Triathlete? [lmicah3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks a lot for sending that route. I really appreciate it. I will give it a shot once I get into town and start work next month. I spoke to the folks at Cumberland Transit and they said bike commuting has reallly been picking up over the last year and suggested a similar route.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem. Those CT guys are solid.... and so are the guys at Red Kite if you can make it over there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone else will probably chime in as well but if you want another shop to visit that has some solid group rides & great staff, check out Trace Bikes. They're out off of Hwy 100 in the Bellevue area, so not "in town" but group rides every T, Th, Sa that hit the trace at some point or another. Whole gamut of speed & experience, wide range of ages, great race team as well.

lmicah's dad is often there & totally enjoys giving me hell as he rides off with the A group or slacks off with the B group.

Second on Red Kite being another fantastic resource, great guys, good rides & much more "in town"...

If you're near town, come swim with us at Centennial Sportsplex with NAC Masters/Triathletes, always looking for fresh blood...err, entertainme....err, athletes. Again, whole gamut of speed, experience & ages. Great program.

Welcome to a great community & good people all around.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Nashville: Best Neighborhood for Triathlete? [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the information, I am really excited to get to town and join the community. For the NAC Masters when do you swim and how do you go about signing up? Given my swim abilities I think I can provide a fair amount of the entertainment you are looking for!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith wrote:
Thanks for all the information, I am really excited to get to town and join the community. For the NAC Masters when do you swim and how do you go about signing up? Given my swim abilities I think I can provide a fair amount of the entertainment you are looking for!

http://www.swimnac.com/...99064&team=senac

If I ever get over being sick, I'll be back to swimming MWF at 8:30 AM. Just show up and talk to whichever coach is there.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I commute by bike nearly every weekday from the Belmont area to downtown, mostly on Music Row, and have been doing so for about 5 years now. I definitely see more cyclists than I did when I started.

PM me if you have any questions because I don't get to that forum this often these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jumping in the Green Hills bandwagon. My in-laws live on the edge of Green Hills closest to Belle Meade country club. This past Christmas I brought my bike up and did a 2 hour ride on the Natchez Trace. I ran up & down Belle Meade all the way to Percy Warner. You can get to downtown, the Green Hills Mall area, Hillsboro Village, Vanderbilt, etc in a heartbeat. But keep in mind that property in Green Hills is pretty pricey for a lot of the reasons you want to live there.

Brentwood is good too, but that's going away from downtown & kind of kills 2 of your 4 requests.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Green Hills or Hillsboro Village. I really enjoyed training in Nashville.
Quote Reply
Re: Nashville: Best Neighborhood for Triathlete? [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to derail the thread but. . . I'm going to be down in Nashville in April and will have three full days of riding while the Mrs. attends a conference during the day. Any thoughts on really good riding areas other than what has been mentioned?
Quote Reply