Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Who got you into triathlon?
Quote | Reply
Have you thanked them lately? And anyone else in your life that you haven't talked to recently. Do it now.

On an email list I'm on, a guy forwarded an article which had this:

"DO IT NOW.
Clichés become clichés because at their root there is a core truth. Life
really is too short. It really does go by very fast. Each day really is
precious."

Amen.

We were in the car yesterday on the way to the airport when my phone rang. I saw the number and I thought, "Why is Hinds57 calling me?" He said he was calling to tell me that our mutual friend, and very good and long time friend of mine, didn't wake up that morning. What are you talking about? He went to bed that night and just didn't wake up the next morning. #*)F!~ How the hell does that happen? Am I dreaming this phone call? WTF???????????

Stu was the guy who is responsible for me becoming a triathlete. This is from a recent article, but it tells the story.

"With a degree in exercise science, Cathy found a job working as an athletic trainer at a physical therapy clinic in Northern California. One day in 1987 while working at the clinic, a patient name Stuart strolled in with a really crazy looking bike with the front wheel smaller than the back wheel. Stuart explained that he was a triathlete and was trying to qualify for the Ironman in Hawaii. During the conversation, Stuart told the staff at the clinic that there was an upcoming race where you could complete it at as a team. Within the office there was a physical therapist who was a cyclist and Cathy took on the role of the swimmer. They recruited the office receptionist into training for the run and the next thing they knew, they had themselves a triathlon team."

Stu would give you the shirt off his back and when we met, he was trying to qualify for Kona. This was back in the day when you could qualify at Wildflower, but all the slots were just lumped together, so age groupers and pros were all going for the same slots. Stu would have qualified many times before he actually did if the slots had been separated, but I think in the end, it was more sweet when he finally did qualify at IM Canada (and held the swim record there until Michael McCormack broke it, I believe). He knew Jimmy Riccatello from Tucson days and raced against Molina, Pigg, Robinson and all the other NorCal dudes in the late 80s and early 90s.

He was a stay-at-home dad and swim coach and kids were his life, especially his son Hunter. He called me after my mother passed away and said some things that helped a lot as he'd recently been through the same thing. And because of him, I met Hinds57, JohnA and our friend Lon. Back when he was training, he'd go ride 100 miles with me just because he didn't want me to ride solo. When he was struggling with injuries and not riding, he would offer to drive out and drop off more water or be available if something happened on a long ride. Nah, he wasn't perfect, but was a true friend.

Hinds57 said it very well:

Stuart had a large impact on the lives of my children and me. His booming voice and oversized personality were his trade mark on the pool deck. He was a person who gave all he had to the kids he coached and to his friends and family. Fortunately, Stuart and his legacy will live on through those thousands of kids and adults who he has coached and whose lived he has touched over the years.

Damn dude, we're gonna miss you.
clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who got you into triathlon? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool and sad story at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for your loss Cathy.

Fact is the person who is the reason I started playing IM took his own life. It is not the same - but I can feel your pain.

Best of luck to you young lady.

Chip

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cathy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

Condolences to you/his friends/family.

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Who got you into triathlon? [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. Still very hard to believe.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow - these stories remind me of why I kiss my wife and children each morning/evening. You just never know and NO ONE is more important than one's own family.

My first tri was at the request of an old neighbor, an Indian guy named Kashimi Gokli who I could barely understand, since he knew I was a runner. It was actually a canoe, run, bike format that I did on my MTN bike from my undergrad days ...

Thanks for the memories - reminder and so very sorry for your (and others) loss.

Quote | Reply
Damn CLM sorry about your loss. You are absolutely right that we need to take stock while we can. I’m terribly sorry that your friend passed away so unexpectedly and your story brought me to tears. I was fortunate (if you can call it that) to be on the other side recently. If you don't mind…

-

My dad has been suffering from Rheumatoid arthritis for over 10 years. It's been slowly tearing his body apart and sending him in and out of the hospital for treatment of infections and minor surgeries all-too-frequently. The complications had become so commonplace that any given trip to the hospital was never really cause for much concern. He was a good-natured man who took it in stride to the extent possible and the family kind of became numb to it. Recently (mid-October) I was in a meeting at work when my cell phone's voice mail icon came on; my mom's voice was haunting and the message was only four words: "John, you'd better come".

I was on a plane 90 minutes later and did make it to California in time to say goodbye. The disease that most people associate with joints and bones had finally torn into his lungs and the most recent infection had shut down his kidneys. My dad was dead less than 36 hours after the appearance of that voice mail icon.

It wasn’t until I was back at my parent’s house after his death that my mom shared with me something my dad had recently done. Only a month before I had competed at Ironman Wisconsin. Before the event my dad, who had never seen me race, requested that I send him some pictures. I wasn’t sure what he wanted to see so while I was in Madison I took pictures of everything - the transition area, the lake, my bike, the hills on the bike course, my special needs and the swag bag, even my clothes and nutrition. Dozens of pictures of freakin’ everything. These were all things he had asked about at one time or another so I sent those pictures to him with an off-handed comment that I wasn’t sure what he was interested in seeing and told him to delete anything he didn’t want.

What my mom told me was that when they got them, my dad had apparently been reduced to tears and gushed about how proud he was – not of the IM accomplishment itself but that his son was going through all of this to “take care of himself”. Most unbelievable, (to me) he had apparently gone out to the store, bought a photo album, and put every single picture into it. This was a man four weeks removed from being killed by Rheumatoid arthritis. Going to the store alone was a half-day long, painful ordeal that I'm told he insisted on doing. Putting the pictures into the album apparently took him the better part of two days. I had heard immediately after the race that he was "showing the pictures to their friends" and I had talked to my dad and knew he was proud of me - for having that opportunity I will be forever grateful. But didn't understand the details of the depth of his feelings until I got to their house and my mom filled in the blanks. He apparently continued to show that album to anyone who would listen – right up until he went into the hospital. Holding that album in my hands I was reduced to a blubbering idiot.

No, my dad didn’t get me into triathlon. But his support and encouragement will forever keep me here. Like CLM said - go call whomever it is that gives you their support and thank them. It's worth it the 5 minutes it will take.

Thanks for listening…
Last edited by: Iron Buckeye: Dec 30, 07 10:15
Quote Reply
Re: Who got you into triathlon? [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... Holding that album in my hands I was reduced to a blubbering idiot.

You just reduced me to one as well - seriously.

That was a good read if you know what I mean. Thanks for that - Sorry for your loss.

Quote | Reply
A spinning instructor in New Orleans by the name of Donny Jarrell. Nicest guy you ever met. Full of good energy,positive words at all times, encouragement. He was also a teacher for the mentally challenged.
Donny died of Lou Gehrigs disease five years after I met him. A disease that took his physical strength but never his spirit.
I think of him often and he continues to give me strength in times of need.
Thanks Donny
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very, very sad. Stu seemed to know everyone, and everyone knew him. Any time we went on a ride, he knew nearly every other cyclist on the road. Go in to any bike shop in the area, and they all know Stu. You can still see his pictures on the wall at Forward Motion in Danville, complete with the Magnum PI mustache. He was a great coach, and a great friend. He will certainly be missed.
Quote Reply
Re: Who got you into triathlon? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Rroof and thanks for allowing me to dump my guts on your computer screen. I sincerely hope at least one person will pick up the phone and make that phone call they've waited too long to make - that will make the tread worth it and maybe bring back a modicum of the "lost" ST Record10Carbon is longing for in his recent thread.

(By the way, on another note, you and I have never met, but we're in many of the same races - I know because I've often seen your bike in transition. That's where the similarities end - I'm squarely in the middle of the pack and you regularly kick my ass. Thank you for unwittingly being my "rabbit". We all need something - or someone - to shoot for).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for your loss; I'm glad your friend's positive impact will live on.

My 1st platoon sergeant got me into road cycling- I've lost track of him and many others over the years. Sometimes I don't want to look them up because I knew these guys, and their families, and a few who I knew have died in the recent wars. I want to remember them whole and alive.

Iron Buckeye- I'm sorry about your father. Mine is 65 now, and a lifelong smoker- he and my sister headed back to Ohio this morning; I hope there are many more visits to come.

My wife is very supportive and proud, and our daughter loves to see Daddy train and race- I've got to go thank her now!

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sister didn't get me into triathlon, but she always came to the Lifetime Fitness triathlon (her favorite race), cheering me on every year since I started competing in triathlons. She was my biggest fan in everything I did, whether it was in my professional life or my personal life. She passed away unexpectedly on Dec. 9 at the age of 44. I will miss her very much. This years Lifetime Fitness Triathlon is going to be dedicated to her. I am also competing in my first Half this season, she was looking forward to my first Half. I will miss her loud cheers.
Last edited by: schafjet: Dec 30, 07 20:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are most welcome.

And please - say Hi the next time we are at a race together! Would love to meet and put a face with a name :-)

Quote | Reply
Our friend Stuart Smith got me into Triathlon but you already knew that.

I was overweight and heading for one or more of the many health problems that run in my family. I had an old Mt bike that I had started taking it out pulling my kids in a trailer. I also started to run a bit but not well. I really needed a goal and someone told me about the local Tri For Fun in Pleasanton. Only problem is I did not swim. I could swim to a dock or to a boat but I had never swum in a lane line other than just screwing around.

So if I wanted to reach my goal I had to give it a try. I went to our gym and swam 25 and rested. I did it a few more times (badly) and was about to get out because other people were getting in. Right as I was getting out I was startled by Stu’s booming voice welcoming me to his master’s class. I responded that I couldn’t swim and I was getting out. Stu answered that it didn’t matter if I couldn’t swim because he was a swim coach and therefore I had come to the right place. That was the start of our friendship that sadly ended Friday morning with a phone call I will never forget.

Stu looked at my fat, out of shape ass and told me I was an athlete and I could not only do the tri for fun but the Ironman someday. He believed in me more than I believed in myself back then. We wound swim, bike and run together along with my brother-in-law JohnA and Lon Freeman. Like Cathy said, if Stu could not go on a ride he would offer to bring you food or water. He would be waiting at the top of Del Puerto canyon 40 miles from anywhere with food and fresh bottles. He would bring a kayak out to Lake Del Valle and paddle with us so we could go long and be safe. He was our Sherpa at Vineman and would make us post ride pancakes.

At CDA in 04 I was swimming with a separated shoulder and it hurt like hell. I was thinking of quitting as I was coming in from the first lap. But I could hear Stu’s voice yelling at me that “he would tell me when I was done” as he had done so many times when I tried to cut short a swim workout. I finished the swim crossed the finish line that day thanks to him and he will be with me every race I ever do.

When I got back from my morning run Friday my wife was standing in front of our house with the phone in her hand. She got the call from another friend and she was waiting to tell me Stu had died without our kids hearing. He was only 43 so it was a total shock. Sunday Stu’s wife Sheri called me and I asked how she and their son Hunter were doing. She told me how she had to tell him that daddy had died and he would never be able to see or talk to him again. Hunter is autistic and most likely still does not fully grasp what has happened. I cried for the first time in 10 years on that call. I am crying for the 2nd time in 10 years as I write these words.

The world lost a good man on Friday and he will be missed by many.

Dave Hinds
Last edited by: Hinds57: Dec 31, 07 6:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh cathy, dave, and others...so sorry about your friend.

that sucks more than words can say. 43 is so young; it's just so hard to accept and believe circumstances like this.
Last edited by: kittycat: Dec 30, 07 20:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh my god...thanks for sharing that. i'm beyond words.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Cathy.
John and I and on the way to the pool. Seems like the best way to remember Stu is to go for a swim when it is only 34deg outside. Wish you could be here with us right now.
Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear your news. Very sad.

I have a friend that is 28 years old and was just diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and is undergoing 28 days of chemo and radiation at the same time. It's too large and aggressive to take out.

She just bought a brand new Cervelo P3 before this all happened and hasn't gotten to ride it yet.

[reply]Hey Cathy.
John and I and on the way to the pool. Seems like the best way to remember Stu is to go for a swim when it is only 34deg outside. Wish you could be here with us right now.
Dave[/reply]

Wish I were over there too. Swim a few for me.
c

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Cathy, I'm sorry to hear about your friend Stu's passing. He seemed like a person that helped make this world a better place. There was a time in my life where I was kinda self-destructive and my sponsor helped love me until I could better love myself. Stu sounds like that kind of person where he wants to see others do good; and more importantly acts on it. In fact after reading your post, I'm going to give him a shout and say hi.

Is the oil slick cleared away yet? It was cool hanging out w/ you last year at Aquatic Park and Joanies? for breakfast during Escape from Alcatraz weekend. I hope everything else is good for you.

Peace,
Rob

"Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iron Buckeye, I think your dad and my mom may be sitting somewhere comparing notes! What a fantastic story and something you will remember for the rest of your life.

I was lucky as my mom and dad went to most of my IM races. I do think Madame Pele had a hand in my rolldown slot in 2005 as they were able to come to Kona to see me race. Less than a year later my mother unexpectedly passed away after surgery. She used to say, “You know you aren’t a runner.” But after I DNF’d my first Ironman attempt, she said, “I hope you aren’t going to let this put you off of trying again.” And then paid for the entry fee for the following year. I think I got my persistence from her.

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful stories! I took my own advice yesterday and flew down to LA for the day to spend some time with a very good friend. We walked miles along the beach, ate Mexican food, drank beer and got caught up and talked about everything, including friends both here and departed and goals for this coming year. Hopped on the plane home last night mentally refreshed.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was seriously touching... I am so sorry for your loss. My Dad is one of my heroes. He's 79 and I'm really blessed that he's still around. After reading your post, I remember sending him my pics from IMWI and he told me he was going to go show them to his golf buddies. It made me feel good that he was excited for me.

Peace,
Rob

"Your Attitude Determines Your Altitude."
Quote Reply
Re: Who got you into triathlon? [rob2681] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rob--Thanks.

They have the oil pretty much cleaned up and people are back swimming at Aquatic Park. In fact, I hear some folks are going to swim tomorrow morning, but not me. Too cold!

Hope to see you again out in SF. The clm hospitality is always open.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cathy,
Sorry for your loss.

I got into tri through an ex-boyfriend, Hibby. He was into it, talked about it and since I already swam and kinda ran, I thought it would be fun.

Signed up for a tri class through my Y in 2000 and the rest is history.

Going into my 8th year of tri and love it as much as I did on the day of my first race.

My husband is my biggest supporter, sherpas for me, works at races and keeps my bikes/gear pristine condition.

Since I started tri's, I've had an Aunt and Uncle do tris and a bunch of cousins take up running.
Felt good to pass the love of sport onto family.

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply

Prev Next