Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Welcome to Hell! (pics)
Quote | Reply
A few photos from a peaceful afternoon in northern France yesterday.

Richard Melik | I work for the following companies | Zwift.com | Freespeed Bike Fit (UK)
Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply
Re: Welcome to Hell! (pics) [Milky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice pics. However, no rain, mostly tail wind, it was a mild hell this year (still with all respect due to every single rider) and the times show.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else see the large red monkey or should i lay off the coffee!
Quote Reply
Re: Welcome to Hell! (pics) [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a different view on that matter. Riding 100km in the first two hours (before entering the real hell) cannot be called "mild". Remember they also ride on bikes that are not your typical super fast F1 race bike.
Moreover, as Boonen announced beforehand, the Hell with a tailwind is typically harder precisely because they ride so hard. When there's no tailwind, the riders are not eager to ride hard in between the cobble sections.
The hell possibly was less heroic yesterday, but it was far from mild (if so, then Cancellara or Ballan would've certainly tried harder to drop Boonen before the sprint finish)
Last edited by: triborun: Apr 14, 08 4:55
Quote Reply
Re: Welcome to Hell! (pics) [triborun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't heard Bonnen's comment, but clearly he knows this race more than I do ... Interesting comments, and it's true we (armchair commentators) concentrate more on the cobble sections than the other (longer) sections. Having said that, tail wind may favour sprinter types as it may be harder to drop them on the cobble sections and/or they can come back on the other sections. So let's say this year were less heroic conditions, but not milder.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: Welcome to Hell! (pics) [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right less heroic is a better description than mild! Honestly, standing at the edge of the cobbles in Arenberg and seeing how every bone in their bodies are being jarred constantly and looking at the grimacing on every face, I can only shudder to think how hard this race is to complete in any weather.

Richard Melik | I work for the following companies | Zwift.com | Freespeed Bike Fit (UK)
Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic pictures!! Great job capturing the pain of riding over the cobbles. I assume that's Arenberg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great pics...some good arm flexing on the cobbles!
Andrew

C'mon legs run faster!
Being fast on a crappy bike is cool
Fueled by Guinness, Tuborg, Anchor Steam and Creemore Springs
Quote Reply
Re: Welcome to Hell! (pics) [go so slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it was Arenberg. A really good atmosphere there mainly due to lots of drunk flag waving Belgians.

Manager | David McNamee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great pictures! The facial expressions are particularly compelling. :) I wonder if Cancellara's going to bite his tongue off someday..going over cobblestones with your tongue sticking out of your mouth doesn't seem a particularly good idea.

Kendall Frederick

Orange Park, FL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I saw the title of this thread I said to myself I better see some pictures of cobblestones. Sure enough I did. Thanks for sharing the pictures they are great. I am considering attending this race next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Welcome to Hell! (pics) [Rowdy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even though you are on the podium it sure would suck to roll into the velodrome with Tom Boonen on the third wheel. Fab said he was cramped, and the B man said he was only hanging on prior to the arrival. Tom probably takes that one 10 time in ten. All old skool box rims and tubulars on the podium. What ever gets you thru the day. Great pics.
Quote Reply
Re: Welcome to Hell! (pics) [Sheddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uh oh I thought that was a Tele Tubby!..hmmm should I lay off the tea?

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work!! sounded like an awesome race. Not sure I would like boonen sitting on my wheel if I was cramping with a lap of the velodrome to go...
Quote Reply