Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Drafting Slingshot...how much does it help?
Quote | Reply
In non mass start races how much of a benefit is there to being a strong cyclist and passing litteraly 100s of people because you started in a much later wave? Seems like you have the benefit of what I will call "slingshotting" around every person who you pass. Is there a draft which would actually be beneficial, or does all of the traffic on the course outweigh the benefit of a potential draft?
Quote Reply
Re: The Drafting Slingshot...how much does it help? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the course and the number of participants.

Memphis in May had 1700 people starting 3 seconds apart. There was a huge benefit to starting later for the bike. Tons of people to pass, but I was never blocked from passing. There were a few times that we were 3 abreast as I rode near the yellow line as two other people were passing, but still I didn't have to slow down at all.

I can imagine an even larger race with large wave starts would eventually have blocking issues.

Eagleman? How many people are there? With such a long bike eventually it would only be a benefit and I can't see blocking would be much of an issue after the first few miles.

I wonder about a race like St. Anthony's, or Chicago though.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is huge. Look at the drop in the times of slow pro women swimmers in Kona after they started the ladies earlier. The poor swimmers are now hung out to dry with their nose in the wind (like they should be). At least it is now even. In the past the top women swimmers like Wendy Ingraham and Ute Muckel would have to push the wind all by themselves, while people like Lori Bowden and Heather Fuhr benefitted from the slingshot effect (note, I am not saying they drafter, they just benefited). Personally I think it is great that the pro women have to do their own race and can't leverage the age group men. Equal work for equal prize money :-)

As a point of reference, at the Esprit half Ironman on the 4.2K Formula 1Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal I split 2:15 for a 90K bike WITH a FLAT. Granted, we had a favourable wind, there are no hills and the pavement is smooth as silk (I flatted by riding over a piece of metal in the rain), but the main reason for such a fast time was that I was continuously lapping people, often riding at 43-48 kph on the tailwind sections, while the people I was lapping were going ~35 perhaps. Basically, I had this huge legal slingshot draft for large portions of the race (I'd day over 30%). As a point of reference, my best 90K time before that on a rolling course was 2:23. I rode well, but not that well. Maybe 2:20, but certainly not 2:15. The slingshot draft has a huge effect.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the situation you outline... The rules are very clear about where and how long you can be in a draft zone while overtaking another cyclist (USAT rules 5.10.h.1). You could probably gain a few seconds over a 40k by riding to the letter of the ruling...

The first sentence of 5.10 pretty much outlines the spirit of the position rules, though..."In accordance with the Rules as set forth in this Section, a participant is not permitted to position his bicycle in the proximity of another moving vehicle so as to benefit from reduced air resistance." Whenever possible...I err on the side of the spirit, rather than the letter of the rule.
Quote Reply
Re: The Drafting Slingshot...how much does it help? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't interpret "another moving vehicle" to mean bikes in the race. Is that incorrect? Perhaps in spirit bikes would be included?

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: The Drafting Slingshot...how much does it help? [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ummm...that is the first sentence of the section on bike positioning...they pretty clearly mean any moving object that could provide reduced air resistance, bike...motorcycle...truck...car...rolling box...whatever...

You can read the rules here: http://www.usatriathlon.org/Rules_Officials/rules.htm#5.10

Don't get me wrong...the rule clearly allows legal use of the zone during overtaking...and the benefit can be significant, especially on crowded courses like Eagleman...

It is a personal choice of mine to ride to the spirit, rather than the letter of the rule. And I don't judge those who use the zone, either.
Quote Reply
Re: The Drafting Slingshot...how much does it help? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the zone. It is legal, so I use it. After I pass I move right....then as I approach another cyclist I ride right up behind before moving left again. I'm old, 51, strong cyclist, start in later waves, so I have tons of people to pass over the entire length of the course. You can definately feel the draft as you are approaching from behind. With the "slingshot" effect you'll be going so fast that they will not try and hold your wheel as you go by. I pass with authority so they won't try and draft me.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: The Drafting Slingshot...how much does it help? [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know that I notice the draft effect as I'm generally riding left and passing :) after my swim. I have often wondered about this and using the rules on the edge.

It was very crowded when I did St. Anthony's ('04 I think) and I was definitely hampered some since they had so many waves and 500 "purple menace" athletes clogging it up on the left.

Quote | Reply
Good question, as I think we're in the same wave at Eagleman (7:37), and have the same 'abilities...'

My advice is to stay as close to the cyclists as you pass them and take advantage of the legal draft.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems to work well with sugar packets on nicole kidman's thigh...

--
mcoker
Quote Reply