Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Rotor Q rings
Quote | Reply
Can someone explain to me whats the deal with these chain rings... do they work
If they do why don't shimano, Sram or Campag use them?
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Q rings [macka86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe Shimano now owns Q-rings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Can someone explain to me whats the deal with these chain rings... do they work
If they do why don't shimano, Sram or Campag use them?

I was almost sure they worked until Carlos Sastre won the Tour de France riding them. ;)

Most people confuse these rings with other "non-round" rings like Biopace and O.Symetric. The truth is that they are quite different.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Last edited by: Sergio Escutia: Dec 28, 08 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Q rings [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why doesn't any of the shimano groupsets have these chain rings?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that Gary can clear this for us. There is a translation of a newspaper note where apparently Shimano bought the Rotor Q-Ring patent, but then I just found a post from someone of Rotor Spain clearing that the note is not true.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The official verbage is "Q-Rings increase your power by maximizing use of the efficient zones of the pedalling stroke and by reducing the intensity of the “dead spot” zones. By maximizing the leg’s strengths and compensating for its weaknesses, they offer easier climbing, faster acceleration and a smoother pedalling, with reduced joint and tendon loadings due to better muscle strain distribution. "

There is a patent on the system, so Shimano, Campy, SRAM, etc would have to license the design. $$$$.

FWIW, Cervelo TestTeam will be using the Agilis/Q-Rings combo next year on the team bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Q rings [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think that Gary can clear this for us. There is a translation of a newspaper note where apparently Shimano bought the Rotor Q-Ring patent, but then I just found a post from someone of Rotor Spain clearing that the note is not true.

Sergio

Correct, this was an urban myth. Rotor is still Spanish owned.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Q rings [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary,

How different is the 54-42 vs the 53-39? I have been using Q rings for the past 3 years with the 53-39 set up.
Thanks for you input.
CJ
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Q rings [ChadJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still think the groupsets companys would be able to design their own if it worked so well
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Q rings [ChadJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Gary,

How different is the 54-42 vs the 53-39? I have been using Q rings for the past 3 years with the 53-39 set up.
Thanks for you input.
CJ

Difference is small, but depending on your speed, you may opt for a larger solution

If you ride 30+MPH (downhill/tailwind), or use 650c wheels, the 42/54T is a solid choice

Otherwise, the 39/53T is the standard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Q-rings are awesome! quite a few pros now ride them and I've been addicted to mine for the past few years. In some situations I don't see a ton of benefits but others such as standing climbing, accelleration, and flat out TT efforts they are such a nice addition that I'd have a real hard time going back to round rings again...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very few pros use them. Friel says if you train with them, you should race with them. Otherwise, don't waste your money.

I love France. I just hate Toulouse. I'd really hate to lose le Trek.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Q rings [CapeRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Very few pros use them. Friel says if you train with them, you should race with them. Otherwise, don't waste your money.

One of those few did happen to win the Tour de France this year... Not to mention the Olympic points race champion (female, Marianne Vos who just won a world cup Cyclocross and is a former WC in 'cross and road also. All on Q-rings).

Also, what pros use don't always equal what they might want to use. They ride what they are paid to ride for the most part.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Q rings [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that one pro that happened to win the TdF this year (look up TT pics if you don't believe me) had to strip the decals from the rings to be able to ride them. Pretty good endorsement to me...not to mention I've been using them to post several top bike splits over the last couple of years with them. Not that I compare with a certain TdF rider of course... Smile

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not buying it. Show me some research not sponsored by the company that makes or sells them.

Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Q rings [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And that one pro that happened to win the TdF this year (look up TT pics if you don't believe me) had to strip the decals from the rings to be able to ride them. Pretty good endorsement to me...not to mention I've been using them to post several top bike splits over the last couple of years with them. Not that I compare with a certain TdF rider of course... Smile
If Carlos liked them, good for him. Most pros don't. He's not sponsored by them so he stripped the decals. No big deal. Do you really think they are all that helpful, compared with, say, intervals? But hey, I don't train with a power meter either because I think perceived exertion has been working just fine. I do have a lactate and heart rate monitors, though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not buying it. Show me some research not sponsored by the company that makes or sells them.

I'm not shilling them. But saying no pros use them doesn't doesn't do anything to show that they are or aren't effective. Especially when your statement is wrong.
Show some research that says they aren't helpful...

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Hmmm. Well, despite it's title, this is doesn't support any real improvement in power. (Here's something kind of amusing, if you have the right kind of humor threshold: this report is just like the first, but it omits the sd's).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I'm not shilling them. But saying no pros use them doesn't doesn't do anything to show that they are or aren't effective. Especially when your statement is wrong.
The onus is on you to prove they work. There are so many products sold without research to back them that none of us would have the time to "prove they aren't helpful". Not buying it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

The onus is on you to prove they work. There are so many products sold without research to back them that none of us would have the time to "prove they aren't helpful". Not buying it.
CapeRoadie, you make a good point.....can you point me to the research that says that round rings work better. Thanks. I've been troubled by this also.......

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
If Carlos liked them, good for him. Most pros don't. He's not sponsored by them so he stripped the decals. No big deal. Do you really think they are all that helpful, compared with, say, intervals? But hey, I don't train with a power meter either because I think perceived exertion has been working just fine. I do have a lactate and heart rate monitors, though.

What do intervals have to do with this? I can still do intervals with Q-rings. Why do you think a person would stop doing intervals when they get Q-rings? Silly argument...

Reading through this thread, I wonder why the onus is on anyone to prove they work? I certainly have no incentive or desire to prove to you that they work. If you don't think they do, fine, think that.

Actually, if you want to play the "prove it" game, I'd be interested in your evidence that suggests most pro's don't like Q-rings.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That's a ridiculous question, really. As Justin said, what in the world would prevent you from doing intervals with QRings? I'm sure that wasn't the point of your question though...so here's an attempt to answer what I think you may have been asking. QRings allowed me to continue riding by helping reduce the strain on my right patellar tendon. Since then I've done tons of intervals and increased my FTP from ~235W to ~315W, my 6x4min power from ~290W to ~375W and my 40k TT speed to 26.1mph. All on QRings with pedal forces far in excess of what caused serious tendonitis before the QRings. So in my estimation they work great.

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a compact pair on a previous bike and liked them a lot.
I got a new bike and went non compact on the cranks, so i went with standard da cranks and rings. All was well. I decided to try q rings again on this bike but could never get the shifting right. I tried and tried. Went back to DA rings and shifting was fine again. I think it has something to do with the 79 degree seat angle on the new bike, it puts the front derailer more forward on the chainring and can make the shifting more finnicky.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Q rings [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
That's a ridiculous question, really. As Justin said, what in the world would prevent you from doing intervals with QRings? I'm sure that wasn't the point of your question though...so here's an attempt to answer what I think you may have been asking. QRings allowed me to continue riding by helping reduce the strain on my right patellar tendon. Since then I've done tons of intervals and increased my FTP from ~235W to ~315W, my 6x4min power from ~290W to ~375W and my 40k TT speed to 26.1mph. All on QRings with pedal forces far in excess of what caused serious tendonitis before the QRings. So in my estimation they work great.
How do you know your tendonitis wouldn't have gotten better on its own? Tendonitis on the bike is usually doing too much too soon. In any case, I wasn't arguing against them for any possible health or rehab benefits they may offer. I think it's great if they helped your patellar tendonitis. On the other hand, if you had patellar tendonitis when riding, you may have also benefited from some other form of rehab. Now you are apparently dependent on Q-rings; i.e., they have become an orthosis for you. Without them, you claim, you get tendonitis. You have a Q-ring dependency, possibly.

How do you know your wattage and TT performances weren't due to doing intervals alone? What was your control group? Right, rhetorical question (again). I guess if I were you I'd keep using them. I think they offer little benefit for MOST people, however.

Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Q rings [ShoMyOFace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

CapeRoadie, you make a good point.....can you point me to the research that says that round rings work better. Thanks. I've been troubled by this also.......
That's just it, mate. I don't see any real evidence that Q-rings work any better than round ones, especially when pedaling drills are used and skills are enhanced. SO WHY SPEND THE TIME AND MONEY? Sometimes I think cyclists are worse than golfers, always looking for the next great new magical component that will make them faster when good old-fashioned hard work still pays great dividends.

Q-rings are a placebo, imo.

Quote Reply

Prev Next