Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing in compression socks...when do you put them on?
Quote | Reply
Tell me if this is a dumb idea.

I've been running in CEP compression socks (the high-end version) for a month now and I kinda like 'em...can't really tell what difference they're making cos I'm going through an awkward period to be scrutinising my running (4 weeks post IM) but the fact that I've finished each run in the last 3 weeks relatively fresh & recovered quickly tells me they might be a good thing so I'll stick with 'em for a bit. Anyway, I've got a HIM race in a week's time in which I'd like to wear them.

Thing is, they take a hell of a lot of effort & time to put on (properly), and I was wondering what wearers were doing on raceday? Put them on in T1? T2? Seems like a huge time-killer to me, particularly for a HIM. So...

...I was thinking of putting them on at the start of the race, pre-swim. So I'd wear them under my wetsuit, run through T1 in them (short run with maybe 10m sand, 100m grass, 10m gravel) and the same through T2 (maybe 50m max, all grass). I can't see any probs with this...I don't usually wear any socks for this distance and typically have grassy/sandy/muddy feet at the start of both bike & run legs anyway. The worst I can see happening is putting a hole in the sole...no big deal. Am I missing something obvious?

A question though...will these socks cause drag in the swim? I don't kick so "feel" isn't so important, but I definitely notice a difference whem not holding my feet correctly (not to say I'll do this with socks on...just saying, re drag). And will they keep their compression properties when soaking wet? I figure they'll be dry for the run so no concerns with blisters, just don't want them sagging on the bike. Silly questions I know but seconds do matter...

Whadda ya reckon?

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in compression socks...when do you put them on? [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would recommend you put them on directly upon waking up, and take them off right before the race. when your muscles flex, they are doing what the compression stockings help out with for people who are stationary for long periods of time and suffer from edema. having mud in your shoes doesn't sound that exciting for a HIM.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in compression socks...when do you put them on? [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent question. I figured you simply wore them the entire time- even under your wetsuit. I sure as heck am not going to take extra time to put them on while I'm on the clock.

Sojourner's idea has merit also, interesting concept. I sure wish I understand the use and effectiveness of these better.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe I'm making this even more complicated, but...what I'd probably do is wear some (legal) flexible neoprene swim socks over the compression socks for the swim. That should keep your feet/compression socks clean, and you won't put holes in them exiting the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would a compression sleeve on your calves do the same thing for you? They don't cover the feet and would eliminate the wet/mud/holes factor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe get a thick pair of cheap socks to put over so you don't trash your nice sucks running
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in compression socks...when do you put them on? [P2SLowry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the UK 220 triathlon magazine they reviewed the 2XU calf sleeves. They put in on a device that meathures compresson and they were actually graded the wrong way so might actually have a negative effect but the compression was so low that they probably would do any harm. Not exactly enthused my to buy them, and has also made me wonder how the other compression stuff on the market actually rates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a pair of biking leg warmers?

If so try running in them, you may be pleasantly surprised then you just wear them from the start of the race under your wetsuit.

Also they go up a lot higher than socks so they support the quads as well.

Quote Reply
Re: Racing in compression socks...when do you put them on? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be putting mine on in t2 at IMAZ, I was going to bike with them but I would hate to get chain grease on a pair of 60.00 socks. Now I need to decide on which pait to use Cep or SLS3 any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in compression socks...when do you put them on? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Excellent question. I figured you simply wore them the entire time- even under your wetsuit. I sure as heck am not going to take extra time to put them on while I'm on the clock.

Sojourner's idea has merit also, interesting concept. I sure wish I understand the use and effectiveness of these better.
In a half you certainly should have a good technique of putting them on - we will be posting that and images on our website this week because we get asked a lot, and there is a way to be quick putting them on.

Also, directly to Tom, please take a look at our website www.slstri.com. On the products page we have explained it with a real life analogy how the socks work, and we'd be happy to answer any questions about them, too.

Sebastian
SLS3
http://slstri.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Racing in compression socks...when do you put them on? [sls3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a half you certainly should have a good technique of putting them on - we will be posting that and images on our website this week because we get asked a lot, and there is a way to be quick putting them on.

I understand I wear the competition's product but I would really appreciate if you could post those tips here, in reply to this thread?

I have a race on Sat and want to trial my strategy for my last mini S/B/R brick on Fri (please note it's Monday p.m. right now in my part of the world), unless of course your "good technique" blows my theory out of the water.

Thanks in advance... :)

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Last edited by: show pony: Mar 30, 08 19:58
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in compression socks...when do you put them on? [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In the UK 220 triathlon magazine they reviewed the 2XU calf sleeves. They put in on a device that meathures compresson and they were actually graded the wrong way so might actually have a negative effect but the compression was so low that they probably would do any harm. Not exactly enthused my to buy them, and has also made me wonder how the other compression stuff on the market actually rates.
Is there an online version of this review? I am receivinga pair this week to test. Am interested in seeing this article as I am still experimenting with compression garments.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wearing compression socks on the swim may actually be illegal. I wore my 2XU compression sleeves under my wetsuit for Cali 70.3 and they worked great! No calf problems on the run, and I haven't been able to run for 2 weeks due to calf problems. I will be wearing them for every race from now on and probably for training as well. Expensive, but well worth the price! God Luck
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in compression socks...when do you put them on? [sls3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Also, directly to Tom, please take a look at our website www.slstri.com. On the products page we have explained it with a real life analogy how the socks work, and we'd be happy to answer any questions about them, too.

Suggestion, take a video of someone putting them on quickly then upload it to youtube and post the link here.

Quote Reply
Re: Racing in compression socks...when do you put them on? [IRONLOBO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you wearing them for looks or performance? this is an ironman race, not a fashion show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short of publishing a video about this on youtube, here are step-by-step images on how to put on the compression sox quickly in a race: www.slstri.com

Sebastian
SLS3

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate your response...thank you

- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the benefit to racing with compression socks?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in compression socks...when do you put them on? [mcgruff1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What is the benefit to racing with compression socks?
You can read about their benefits here, and in case you have some more questions, you are welcome to pm us, email or post.
They are not just for racing, they are also for before and after.

Sebastian
SLS3

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
compression socks...when do you put them on?

Just before you head to the airport and get on the plane!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in compression socks...when do you put them on? [jawatson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wearing compression socks on the swim may actually be illegal.

They are indeed illegall to be worn during swim.
I think it's because you might put some swim aid into them (fin-style).

And only Record10Carbon knows how to use them properly!

Quote | Reply
Would these work as well? Sometimes I just wanna feel purty!

Quote | Reply
Could you clarify that. What is exactly is ilegal. I've worn knee hi nylon stocking under my wetsuit in cold im swims for years without any problems. I learned this from the divers who said it helped with getting the suits off quickly. Also provides a bit (though noticable) warmth in the hi 50 & low 60 degree swims & no drag.
Now that we have compression socks or nylons there may be more scrutiny or issues where there were no before.
Barb
Quote Reply