Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Poll: Did your powermeter work in the rain at IMLP or not?
Quote | Reply
I've ridden every ride for the past 18 months with a PM, and was kind of bummed to ride IMLP without one. I've heard of folks with each of the 3 major brands having problems on Sunday, and as I make a decision about which other brand to change to, I wanted to see who had the most success. So....if you want to participate, please post the brand of PM you used (including if it was wired or wireless) and whether it worked or not on Sunday. I'll start - Ergomo - did not work in the rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Did your powermeter work in the rain at IMLP or not? [SatMark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't race IMLP but I raced Muncie in the pouring rain two weeks ago. I have a wired PT and I kept having it blank out on me. It ended up showing 45 miles when I was done. I think it may have been in the connection at the head and not the hub because a few times I clicked it off and remounted it, and it would start to work.

Strange thing is, a week later I rode 102 miles in the rain and it worked flawlessly.

Thom
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Did your powermeter work in the rain at IMLP or not? [SatMark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10-month old wired SRM worked like a charm. No issues at all with power, cadence, or hr with my Polar strap. The only issue I had was the speed sensor failed at mile 109. Pretty good timing as I certainly wasn't worrying about speed going up the cherries and bears on the second loop. Actually, since I focus on power, not having speed wouldn't have been an issue, aside from wanting to know the remaining mileage (though knowing the course fairly well, even that's not an issue).

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Standard wired PT pro - didn't work. As soon as I came out of the water, I knew that would be the case. It will survive light rain or a shower but not downpours or steady rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Did your powermeter work in the rain at IMLP or not? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Muncie in the rain too.

Seemed like I had issues in the beginning then after 30 minutes when the rain really started comming down it worked perfectly.

I also feel the problem is the connection at the head.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One athlete I coach used his wired SL, and he freaking rocked it! Another friend who has an Ergomo had his computer unit totally crap out two hours into the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sandwich baggy, rubberband, and electric tape keeps my pt working like a charm in the rain.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wireless DA SRM with PC VI. Worked like a charm. No issues at all at IMLP.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a wireless Powertap SL at IMLP in the rain. No problems at all. Worked great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used a Wireless PowerTap during IMLP and it worked great. The Garmin, however, broke on mile 18 as water got in the unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Did your powermeter work in the rain at IMLP or not? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had problems with my wired PT SL blanking out from water falling on the computer head unit. The water doesn't have to be from rain either. It happens because i pour water on my head and it drips onto the computer, which is mounted pretty far back on the stem.

I believe the problem is the brass sensors get shorted if water accumulates around them. Removing the computer and drying it quickly in the air seems to fix the problem. This obviously isn't a good solution for a race, so for IM CDA this year, I wrapped electrical tape around the perimeter of the computer and the mount so that water couldn't get to the brass connections. It worked great despite my liberal use of water.
Last edited by: fleaz: Jul 25, 08 7:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Less than a year old wired SRM w/ Polar HR strap worked great.

http://www.thebouker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wired PT SL. Rear 404 PT SL from Race Day Wheels worked flawlessly all day long. Not a single drop. My Open Pro training wheel drops all of the time, even when dry, so I was surprised how well the race wheel worked in the rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wired SRM DA Compact, worked a treat! And I had a life-best 5 second power somewhere out there....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A dab of dielectric grease on the contact points of your computer will solve most moisture issues.

I used a wired PT at Lake Placid and had no problems.

scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wired SRM worked for 30inutes only.Wife's wired power tap L did not work at all.Is wireless SRM better??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as a general rule, Ergomo is one weird unit...not worth buying in my own opinion. Powertap is good and work great in dry condition. But all these device dont come close to the srm.... it work all the time unless user error...very reliable and accurate but you also pay for it.....

i had the 3 system and the only one i never had problem is the srm.....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Did your powermeter work in the rain at IMLP or not? [J Gers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I both used a wireless powertap and they worked perfectly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wireless PT worked perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My PT worked - sort of. The HR was correct, but my power data was way off...avg power output was 30. My bike split was 5:39 (with two flats)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a wireless Powertap SL with no problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Did your powermeter work in the rain at IMLP or not? [carbonsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My wired SRM worked for 30inutes only.Wife's wired power tap L did not work at all.Is wireless SRM better??
I am very surprised your wired SRM crapped out on you. My wireless SRM worked flawlessly.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Did your powermeter work in the rain at IMLP or not? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
as a general rule, Ergomo is one weird unit...not worth buying in my own opinion. Powertap is good and work great in dry condition. But all these device dont come close to the srm.... it work all the time unless user error...very reliable and accurate but you also pay for it.....

i had the 3 system and the only one i never had problem is the srm.....

Six months ago, I would have challenged you on this comment (as it pertains to the Ergomo). I have since "seen the light" and become an SRM convert.

That said, for 18 months and 18k+ miles, my Ergomo worked flawlessly in all conditions. Once it got to the 18 month, 18k+ mark, not so much ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an older PT 2.4 SL, out of the transition it wasn't recognizing the hub, stopped pulled the CPU out of the harness, back in and it worked.

About 30km in the same thing, I just pulled it out on the fly, it picked it up and had no problems from there on.

I was nervous that I was going to have to ride the whole thing without it but it held on.
Andrew

C'mon legs run faster!
Being fast on a crappy bike is cool
Fueled by Guinness, Tuborg, Anchor Steam and Creemore Springs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Wireless PowerTap SL worked well. Team Mate with PowerTap Pro (Wired) also worked well. Team mate with Ergomo worked well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next