Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Indoor Trainers
Quote | Reply
I'm looking into buying an indoor trainer. From what I've read I probably want a magnet or fluid trainer. Which trainers would you guys recommend. I don't know much about them.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainers [wasatchrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kurt Kinetic fluid road; $300 (or cheaper if you find clearance online), lifetime warranty, good feel, and relatively quiet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second Kinetic...mine gets 6 hours per week at average of 350 watts per hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainers [JPatterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This forum is full of two types of people - Kurt Kinetic fans, and those who haven't yet tried Kurt Kinetic. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainers [Boogie711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thoughts on Cycleops Fluid 2 ???? Thinking about getting one...

Quote | Reply
Do you need a "trainer" tire? I think I tried a Kinetic when I got fitted, and I noticed my back wheel seemed to be fine. I have a Cycleops now that I have to use the trainer tire or else it gets shredded to pieces.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainers [bad929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Craigslist your area and find a fluid one. Im on a blackburn and it's great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kurt Kinetic. I ride the hell out of mine. Lifetime warranty! Excellent customer service.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainers [jar70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the exception of the new LeMond (which I have never ridden) I have melted all of the major manufactures fluid trainers that I have tried....and yes including a Kinetic.

The Kinetic is the last to burn up under sustained wattage. You don't need to worry about this happening unless you are hitting it with 400+ watts for more than an hour at a time. The Kinetic people are great and they will send you a new unit if yours breaks.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainers [JPatterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Kinetic is the last to burn up under sustained wattage. You don't need to worry about this happening unless you are hitting it with 400+ watts for more than an hour at a time.

OK, I figured it out. JPatterson must be Fabian Cancellara's Slowtwitch username! ;-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainers [Boogie711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So True, I ride my KK quite a bit, its smooth , quiet and I can get power reading w/ my KK power computer.

I am affiliated w/ Bicycleoutfittersindy.com I can have any trainer I want , but I use the kinetic w/ the extra 12lb flywheel , best on the market period

we offer these for less than anybody out there coupon code 20% OFF A95436
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainers [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No....just an old fart still going at it.

http://www.bobkestrut.com/...4/king-of-the-world/
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainers [solidasarock7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry just found out this code was rendered inactive at the request of KK , b/c it was below manufacturer pricing guide lines

but I will get it turned on for cycber Monday it will be turned on soon or at the latest by 9 am EST Mon and it will work till Tues morning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few days of training on my new Lemond Revolution. If you are working out where neighbors aren't to close to you I would really recommend this!

Thing is: It is loud! The fan creates a humming sound (comparable to a vacuum-cleaner) and the noice will go up or down depending on the speed of the fan.

BUT no more tire-roller interference and it is dead stable. Plus there will be a power-computer available in December for an extra $350. So I would say that the noise is the only downside! They also offer lifetime warranty on the trainer.

Kurt Kinetic is also being recommended by everyone that has tried one, so that really would be my second choice (haven't tried one myself).
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainers [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How loud are the KK's?

Quote | Reply
I keep the TV at the same volume when I'm on the trainer as I do when I'm just sitting on the couch.

Of course, the fan I have blowing at me while I'm on the trainer is loud because it's on high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my Tacx for ten years with no problems. Mag with resistance. Lots of resistance.

Quote | Reply
Screw fluid trainers. Get a CycleOps Super Magneto Pro. I have both a KK and the Super Mag and the Super is much better. It's just as smooth if not smoother than my KK and it has 4 levels of adjustable resistence that is smooth and works well. Oh and if that doesnt convince you, Rappstar uses one too.

http://cycleops.com/...63&category_id=3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the Tacx Satori, it's magnetic but it's the only trainer I've used that allows you to put out huge power at low cadence (other than a Computrainer). I also have a Cycle-Ops Fluid 2 and a Computrainer but I find myself riding the Tacx more and more, especially now that I have a Quarq so the Computrainer is essentially collecting dust. The Tacx is incredible and looks like a work of art, I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.1upusa.com. American made, and the best in the market.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainers [AlexG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do you think the Super Magneto Pro is much better than the KK? I'm trying to decide between the two, your insight would be particularly useful.
I read from one buyer that the Magneto was pretty loud, but he didn't own any other trainers as a comparison. Which is louder, Magneto or KK?
Thanks for the help in deciding.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainers [YaHey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That 1up looks pretty nice. What are the cons?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.bicycleoutfittersindy.com

the code A95436 in prior post is now active for 20% of KK road machine from the minimum advertised price of 319 takes it down to about 255 + free shipping ....crazy

another code for BOI is " cycbermonday " activates 25% off most items , excluding sale , closeouts and trainer combos...expires Tues AM

Profile design Bionik 2 wet suit $99 + free ship
regularly $419
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainers [anitan1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anitan1, I had a 1up trainer 3 years ago and loved it...with that said, mine for some reason had friction plate problems and I had to have 3 replaced. Excellent customer service, everything warrantied. I believe they have that issue fixed as they were addressing it then because some models were having that problem, lemons I guess. It was quiet and well made and very smooth. I tried a kk fluid once at the shop I was fitted at and it wasn't as smooth or quiet as the 1up.

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Trainers [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tried just about every trainer out there. The KK has been my winter best friend for the last 2 years. nothing else even comes close to an 18lb flywheel on the Pro model w/ a 60 second coast down.

I can get power w/ my KK power computer, which is calibrated to the unit perfectly b/c they use medical grade silicone as the fluid for resistance. the viscosity does not change w/ raising temperatures created in the resistance unit while riding, so it produces consistent measurable and repeatable resistance every time. giving me accurate power reading for much less than other power options.

fluid trainers dont need to be adjustable b/c the resistance is progressive , just like outdoor riding.
Last edited by: solidasarock7: Nov 28, 10 17:36
Quote Reply

Prev Next