Hawaii 5-0 and triathlons
Quote | Reply
Anyone see it tonight?
I am still laughing

D
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 5-0 and triathlons [runitaly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm waiting...........it just came on at 9pm in AZ. I've seen a few previews over the past few days.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right..especially the starting the swim on the beach.?????

LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good stuff. esp. the Felts and Catlike and S-works aero helmets
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 5-0 and triathlons [IronMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was surprised that they used proper tt bikes...
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 5-0 and triathlons [PlacidPirate108] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked the idea that timing chips have GPS units in them. Also climbing the walls in their aero helmet was priceless.

Now we know is bumping the average income of triathletes up so high. Its those diamond thieves!

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't catch it, but I know that the "triathletes" included at least one ST'er...
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 5-0 and triathlons [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Also climbing the walls in their aero helmet was priceless.

"We are 'Specialized'"

Holy Craptastic - Those triathletes can really fight!!!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love how they made all of them "dopers."
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 5-0 and triathlons [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Honolulu, where they film the show. The casting director contacted me and said the director wanted to meet me with me, blah blah...but unfortunately I have a real job and couldn't commit to taping. I do know that they hired a bunch of local triathletes for the show, so they aren't just stand-ins. I haven't seen the episode yet, but can assure you several of the extras are Kona qualifiers. I can't wait to see what kind of generalizations they make!
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 5-0 and triathlons [Frayed Laces] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm watching it now in my hotel in Waikiki. We saw filming this morning down by the beach end of Kalakaua.
It's hard to believe triathletes would have the upper body strength to pull of the heist!
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 5-0 and triathlons [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But they'll have the core strength!
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 5-0 and triathlons [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As expected, 5-0 dominated! There is a channel here (11) that also plays the original.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was waiting for the diamonds to be in their aero helmets.

But, on another note, did anyone else notice the aerial shot from a helo in the opening montage of two guys on TT bikes drafting down a highway? They seemed to be really booking... and they also looked like they were in KSwiss-ish jerseys? (from what I could tell in the 0.8 seconds they flashed on the screen)

-----------------------------
Full disclosure: Zwift, former Zipp and SRAM Design Engineer
Last edited by: karl_a_hall: Nov 23, 10 0:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey! That's the actual start line of the Honolulu Triathlon, a pretty killer Olympic out here every year. A ton of races out here in Hawaii (and other places, can't count the beach starts I've been in) use beach starts. Personally I hate water starts!

It was pretty cool shooting that episode. I was one of the extras and it was amazing how long it took to get those few random scenes. That was two FULL days of shooting with 50-100 triathlete extras on each day. It's all snipped down to maybe a minute of actual footage and if you think it looked corny on TV in person it looked like it would be even worse.

The best part was the swim start as we must have done it, both in and out of the water at full blast, dolphin diving, kicking, punching, pulling each other down sprinting to the first buoy madness at least 20 times. The stunt people (the bad guys) were freaking out as the front line where they were was pretty crazy. Friend of mine nailed one of the water cameras hard enough to draw blood. And to anyone saying that that start was unrealistic there were three pro triathletes in that field and quite a few other very fast swimmers.

The bike portions, not the most exciting but four of us got to practice crashing into each other over and over (front wheel, meet my friends rear Zipp 404 and Di2 rear mech, crash!) for the scene where they stop several triathletes right out of T2 thinking that they are the thieves.

The baddies had pretty sweet bikes too. Two of them were B2s with full Di2.

we had a big viewing party down at one of the local tri shops/clubs. Live music, food, dancing, a bunch of tvs and then more entertainment afterwards. It was a blast.

Now the doping part, THAT was pretty crazy. I had no idea so many of us Hawaii triathletes were sly enough to pull that sort of thing off;)
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 5-0 and triathlons [flipmypancake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
book'im dano

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man that episode was hilarous! Totally made me break out the trainer-

Only thing was the way they took the crooks off there bikes gave me bad flashbacks.

Tri'n hard.
�.__o
._`\<,_
(_)/ (_)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about the guy climbing up the elevator cable, faster than the elevator car? Because blood doping makes you that strong and fast! Also, it appeared that they were climbing up the wall in bike shoes.

Still love that theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrkrQXuDq24

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everybody knows that if you want to see triathlon accurately represented in a TV show, then you must watch Magnum PI do Ironman. :)

Quote | Reply
It was a great episode. My Wife and I were watching. I can't believe they were so vicious, shooting that guy after he told them he had a baby on the way. I have always thought of triathlete's as kind people. Priceless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, the Felt Mafia isn't just a post on Slowtwitch?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this past June a guy was arrested after stealing a Trek form the LBS during Packet pick up.

he tried to use it during the race, but the Police and the LBS caught him.

entry fee $80
carbo load the night before
steal a bike from LBS
use bike at race
get arested and mom leave you in jail

Priceless!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii 5-0 and triathlons [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang, talk about everybody coming out of the water at the same time!!! Looked like Clearwater...

The one thing I can't believe they resisted doing was having McGarrett enter the race at the last second...it would've been very cheesy....

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Right..especially the starting the swim on the beach.?????

LOL
I've done a number of tris that started with a run from the beach so what so strange about that?
the rest of it was pretty rediculous and the part about the doping was not a positive way to bring up triathlon.
The bike with bikes all over the road was not good but the t1 looked pretty real.

Being stopped comeing out of t1 by 50 guess that would put a stop to drafting...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've never done a beach start?
Quote Reply

Prev Next