Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Forerunner 305 Heart Rate Strap Waterproof?
Quote | Reply
Until now I have been waiting until T1 to put my heart rate strap on. Will I destroy it if I swim with it on? I am not concerned with collecting data when I am in the water, just to save time during transition. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 305 Heart Rate Strap Waterproof? [aedodger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is waterproof.

I've swam with it on in 2 HIMs and one IM, in addition to other races, for the
same reason you mention.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 305 Heart Rate Strap Waterproof? [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As big a deal as Garmin is making of their new Waterproof strap, I am not sure the old one is. I can not find anything in Garmin's site or by googling the HRM1B product number. The strap itself makes no claims nor has any warnings. Unless someone has a manual, I would say the best you can do is anecdotal evidence. I swim in it at about 5 events per year for the last couple of years. No issues so far.

Brian
Splash - Hammer - Plod
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I almost always swim with it. no issues whatsoever. I'm also a sweaty mess when I run, so it's essential underwater when I run as well with no problems. The only "exposed" parts are around the battery and that is watertight.

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a warning, I changed the battery on mine and broke a little plastic piece that formed part of the seal. First post change sweaty bike ride I did I fried it.

So yeah, it's waterproof, as long as you don't ruin the seal like I did :)
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 305 Heart Rate Strap Waterproof? [bcw_STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're not making a big deal about their new waterproof strap, it's the waterproof
unit! The 305 is NOT even close to waterproof. The 310xt is.

The strap has a battery compartment that screws in with an o-ring (as I recall). It's
waterproof.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wrap the battery compartment cover with a couple of wraps of electrical tape to ensure the watertight seal. I don't notice the tape vs. the rest of the plastic. This has worked for five tris with swims and lots of road races where I'll dump water on my shirt/jersey to cool off.
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 305 Heart Rate Strap Waterproof? [merlinkim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tape isn't keeping it waterproof, the o rings in the battery compartment are
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I left mine on during a HIM and if it can stay wet for that long (that is a long time), it must be waterproof.

------------------------------------------
"Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't have anything to regret for the rest of their life." Lance Armstrong to Peter LeFleur
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 305 Heart Rate Strap Waterproof? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed that the o-rings are the primary seal, I just use the tape as a belt-and-suspenders measure.
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 305 Heart Rate Strap Waterproof? [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today is the second day of the rest of your life if you started keeping track yesterday
Quote Reply