Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
First of the 2009's, New Felt F3SL with photos.
Quote | Reply
Here's the very first of the 2009 Felt bikes we've received, the new Felt F3SL. The 2009 Felt F3SL represents a couple trends we'll see from a number of manufacturers in 2009, namely:
  • An emphasis on SRAM components at the O.E.M. (Original Equipment Manufacturer) level.
  • Lighter bikes, with the new Felt F3SL you see in these photos weighing in at 16.1 pounds on our scale.
  • Further use and refinements of existing molds for carbon fiber bikes. It's expensive to make these molds so manufactuers likely will only make refinements year-to-year until complete frame redesigns take place. Felt's "F" series frame molds are proven designs, so taking a que from other manufacturers with proven designs, the "F" series fuselage moves forward- although that isn't all Felt has in store for 2009...
  • Lifetime warranty on these molded carbon frames to original owner.

The kit on the bike includes SRAM Red front and rear derailleur, SRAM Red Double Tap shifters, Gore Ride-On cable system, new black SRAM Rival brake calipers, Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheelset, SRAM S900 carbon fiber crankset, Felt 1.4 butted aluminum handlebars with a constant 31.8 taper 5 cm out from the stem to facilitate aerobars, SRAM chain, SRAM 1070 11-25 cogset.

This bike doesn't break a lot of surprising new ground as everything here we have all seen before. It is a nice package and, as I've mentioned, we'll see more of this trend in '09 introductions.

Here's the new SRAM S900 crankset which we'll be seeing more of, effectively we've seen this crank as the Truvativ Rouleur but now with some tweaks for nice front shifting.

Felt's MSRP on the new 2009 F3SL is currently quoted by Felt as $3499.99 and likely to change (increase) according to Felt. "Prices right now are just not stable" one source at Felt told us. The same source told us to "expect increases going into the '09 model year". These photos are authorized and were taken by me this morning at our store of 2009 Felt F3SL's we have in stock now as do other Felt dealers around the U.S. Check your local Felt dealer for more information.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Last edited by: Tom Demerly: Jul 1, 08 12:37
Quote Reply
Re: First of the 2009's, New Felt F3SL with photos. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The chain is not properly positioned on the smallest cog and I would space out the aggregate look on the floor a little more.

Thanks for the pics. Yet another bike I can't buy.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Re: First of the 2009's, New Felt F3SL with photos. [Donut Gestapo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right. Fiddlesticks.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: First of the 2009's, New Felt F3SL with photos. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks as always for the write up and the pics. I think they make a great product and it's great to see even more improvements. That's pretty light with those wheels on it.

-Andrew Saar
It is better to do the right thing and be paid poorly,
than to do the wrong thing and be rewarded richly.
Quote Reply
Re: First of the 2009's, New Felt F3SL with photos. [AndrewSaar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was in the shop today as they were assembling this bike.....very nice...and and the price point is pretty dang good too...hmmmmm....wheres my visa....
Quote Reply
New Felt F3SL with photos. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

That crankset is the same one Levi and Alberto use, only they have it coupled to an SRM spider. The crankset and chainrings are RED level performers and have been proven on the Tour of CA and Giro d'Italia stage.

I'm glad you were able to get some photos up, any shots of the Z25 or B2R yet?

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt F3SL with photos. [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When will the Felt website be updated with these early '09 releases?

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how do you always get such great looking photos?

Quote | Reply
We start with good bikes.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

My big-picture takeaway from this is that Felt (and hopefully others...!) are really pushing value for their almost/virtually top-end models. By that, I mean that customers should be able to essentially find bikes that are virtually pro-level but make some important trade-offs to cut costs with very minimal performance losses. It almost reminds me of the $2500 carbon tri-bike category. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Quote Reply
Re: First of the 2009's, New Felt F3SL with photos. [matty1281] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is an excellent assessment matty1281. I agree.

The new 2009 Felt F3SL cuts about 2 pounds off the previous Felt F3 using SRAM's new Red components. This is a component "mix" bike, using SRAM Red where it matters most: The bike uses the excellent Formula 1 inspired SRAM Red Double Tap shifters, so you have shift quality from a $2000+ component kit on a complete bike costing around $3500 with a proven, pro tour raced full carbon frame. Both front and rear derailleurs are SRAM Red, saving weight, providing better shifting (I think better than Shimano) and using cermic bearings in the guide and tension pulley of the rear derailleur lowering mechanical/bearing rotating resistance in the jockey wheels. Felt was smart about key component selection like cranks, cogset and chain. As SuperDave pointed out, the S900 crankset is used by some top pros on their race bikes with an SRM module installed. The cogset isn't the 1090 PowerDome that is so sensational, but it is a dependable, smooth shifting skip-tooth design. If a person wanted to buy a PowerDome cogset to knock another 1/2 pound of the bike and further improve shifting performance they could- it is fully compatible with the rest of the components.

This is a very good spec for a bike at this price point.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This bike seems like it's right in the wheelhouse of virtually any Cat. 1/2 rider or anyone looking for an absolutely no-excuses bike. At least without the wallet hit that comes with some of the uber-bikes like a Cervelo SLC-SL or a Felt AR.

On that note, it seems like there is a noticeable split in high-end bike categories emerging: the first being a no-holds-barred, cost-no-object model that incorporates the latest and greatest of frame development and componentry. The other would be a bike that perfoms within a couple percentage points of the former, but with those key compromises that drastically cut costs (and depending on one's situation, provide significantly more value).

Is there now a true value-minded bike at the high end of the market, with certain super-bikes occupying a different stratosphere? Or is that a distinction without a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave:

Any changes to the Z series bikes for 2009?

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great write-up, and that's a fantastic looking bike. Felt holds a special place for me because an S25 was my first tri bike and the RXC was my first "great" MTB.

Super Dave: Great job!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt F3SL with photos. [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dave:

Any changes to the Z series bikes for 2009?

Bob

Bob,

Yes, the new Z25 is also in stock for 2009 and includes many of the same component and frame material upgrades that shed so much weight over the previous version (like the F3).

The Z25 now uses a mix of SRAM Red shifters and derailleurs as well as the non-series SRAM compact crankset. We'l introduce an all new painted finish on the Z bikes as well. The Z1 will become a complete bike this year, utilizing the Z1 aftermarket frame and a complete SRAM Red component selection and the new Mavic R-Sys Premium wheels and a couple of custom Ritchey items to complement the custom look of the bike. The Z1R will likely become a favorite amongst consumers looking for a top end road bike. A perfect bike for triathletes looking to add a road-going training bike, or for those looking for a bike that has a balance of performance charaterisitcs, not the "cat on a hot tin roof" handling of the F-series bikes. Slipstream (GARMIN) riders faced with the cobbles of the spring classics, or the GC hopes of stages races like the Tour of Georgia, Rut de Sud, or the epic breakaways like Will Frishkorn's 240km escape at Milan San Remo opt for the Z bikes. Even Emma Snowsill and Michellie Jones sit atop our ZW models in draft legal races when not using their DA bikes in non-draft events.

I'm looking forward to rolling out the complete line of bikes during the upcoming Eurobike and Interbike trade shows.

Regards,

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will the Z1R be a complete bike with RED or something lower level? Might I ask a price point? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Will the Z1R be a complete bike with RED or something lower level? Might I ask a price point? :-)

There are TWO Sram Red equipped Z models.

1. UHC-Nano carbon 14 pound Z1R
2. Z25 with a very similar build to the F3SL detailed above.

The Z1R is about twice the price of the Z25.

The Z1 frameset will also be available for those that want to choose their own components for their dream bike.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have geometry spec for the AR yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh, two RED bikes...Interesting....So, if I take the Z25 and multiply its $2849 MSRP by two, I'll have a rough estimate of the the cost for the 14lb Z1R?

Also, does painting the bikes add weight?

When does these bikes see the light of day?

Bob
Last edited by: Macho Grande: Jul 2, 08 20:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Z25 MSRP is not yet released, but the price is close to the F3 SL pictured above, just shy of $3499. $7500 is a good rough estimate of the final price of the Z1R.

Yes, paint adds weight to bikes. Industry wide; depending on color, and the type of final clear coat, and the amount of filler (surface prep) used to make the bike look finished a painted graphics package can add as much as 250 grams over a raw finish.

This isn't the case with the new Z bikes paint jobs as there is a smaller amount of paint and no filler is needed.

Last edited by: SuperDave: Jul 4, 08 15:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, I was considering getting a F4 to go with my B2. Do you know if there will be any changes in '09 for the F4? The '08 model has the Ultergra SL setup. Thanks.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to see models with the bikes, preferably in bathing suits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops. This message was meant for Dave. Sorry.

Dave, I was considering getting a F4 to go with my B2. Do you know if there will be any changes in '09 for the F4? The '08 model has the Ultergra SL setup. Thanks.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
Quote Reply
Re: New Felt F3SL with photos. [IronRod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Oops. This message was meant for Dave. Sorry.

The biggest change will be a price increase due to raw material increases and price hikes from almost all of the component vendors.

Find an '08, it'll be a great deal!

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dave. I will go ahead and look for a '08.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
Quote Reply

Prev Next