Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chattanooga River Rat 4.5 mile swim race
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga has a very competitive 4.5 mile swim race on June 14 and that should be quite interesting for a few folks here who live in the area. It is down river so that should help in terms of speed. :-)

Some of the fastest times last year were held by a couple folks from my masters swim class.

Fastest time overall: 15 year old Sean Ryan swam a 1:21:14 (Yikes, that is just a bit slower than it takes me to do the Ironman swim) He'll swim also in the 1500m Olympic Trials this coming summer

50+ age group: Jimmy Welborn in 1:31:09

More info: http://www.southeasttennessee.com/....2127/swim-meet.html

Any Slowtwitchers interested in participating?

Best,

Herbert
Last edited by: Herbert: May 22, 08 10:39
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga River Rat 4.5 mile swim race [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bruce Gennari are you out there? What about Brent Lorentzen?

H
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
odds are i will do it, maybe not the full montey but at least the 2 miler.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May be in town that day and was interested in swimming the 4.5, have not been able to find any results from LY or how to enter, location of race etc. Any idea where I can find? Is there an event website or sign up? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga River Rat 4.5 mile swim race [sugartri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert,

Hey, a 4.5 mile swim sounds fun but unfortunately I'll be out of town that weekend. Right now I am in Portsmouth, OH, where this is zero cell phone service. I am on the computers up at the lodge right now. The first event (250-meter swim, 4-mile bike and 1-mile run is about three (3) hours. I guess it's time to get motivated to do this beast of a race one more time.

Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga River Rat 4.5 mile swim race [sugartri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga Rat Race
June 14, 2008

Ends at Coolidge Park

The Chattanooga Rat Race is a 4.5 mile open water swim in the Tennessee River (downstream current). USMS Registration is required of all participants. A copy of the swimmer’s current registration must be submitted with the official entry form.
Immediately following the race will be an award lunch at Walker Pavilion in Coolidge Park . Awards will be awarded to the first and second place winners of each age group and gender. T-Shirts will be given to each participant.
Cost: $45 registration fee…Additional lunch tickets can be purchased for $10.
The race begins at 7:30am.
For more information, please contact:
Stan Corcoran
423-493-5536
Peggy Grall
423-697-1385
grall_p@mail.chattanooga.gov

Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga River Rat 4.5 mile swim race [BGennari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you gotta show the young guns (Limkemann and Kenny) how to swim fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, looks interesting... Not that I could keep up with the swimmers but I think it would be a fun event. Or at least as fun as swimming 4.5 miles can be...

Too bad its the same week at Kansas 70.3 or I'd head up there for it.

--------------------------

Team Timex 2014
@ajhodges
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga River Rat 4.5 mile swim race [qcassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i seem to recall you beating one specific swimmer by more than 60 seconds last weekend...but she was just a sprinter and can't do distance stuff...
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga River Rat 4.5 mile swim race [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that didnt count... silly spinters can only turn and kick.

Although, come to think of it, I do vaguely recall outsplitting a former ND swimmer at Eagleman last year...

--------------------------

Team Timex 2014
@ajhodges
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga River Rat 4.5 mile swim race [qcassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ah, think i've heard about this before. unfortunately, don't think i can make it this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be oot for this event, but am interested in where most people do their open water training in Chattanooga. Any advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga River Rat 4.5 mile swim race [wubworm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most open water swimming in Chattanooga is done at the Chickamauga Dam of 153. Today we did the annual Memorial day open water swim where we actually swim across to the other side and back (total about 1.5 miles) but usually we swim along the buoys/behind that yellow line (basically left to right and right to left).

Also check in with the scenic city velo at http://www.sceniccityvelo.com/

This pic was taking today before the swim where we swam to the sign on the other side that says "CAUTION DANGEROUS WATERS."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!! I have sent in my member app to SCV, just waiting to hear back. Going to Macon this weekend and then gearing up for IMFL. Looking for folks to train with.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga River Rat 4.5 mile swim race [wubworm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be in Macon too, so we'll see you there. :-)
Quote Reply