Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
goodbye, cubicle
Quote | Reply
The dream becomes reality.

After several years in the cube farm, and a few years of really busting my hump, I'm making the switch to full-time triathlon coach. My last day in a cubicle is tomorrow, December 1.

To complete the change and celebrate life, my wife is also leaving her cube, and on January 4th we will set off on an around the world tour, hereby dubbed Trippin06. We will see the sights, train and race, and generally have a great deal of fun. Everything will be documented on our homepage at martygaal.com. I'll dig this post out for colossally awesome events.

Our initial itinerary includes:

January
- Hong Kong
- The Philippines

January-May
- Australia - NSW, Tasmania, and the Great Barrier Reef
- New Zealand - South Island

June-August
- United States - FL, CO, ID, MI, NC, KS, NY, NJ, VA, MT, TX, in no particular order

September-November
- Switzerland - Worlds short course
- Ireland and/or the Netherlands - Bike tour
- England
- Germany - Oktoberfest!
- Belgium
- Hungary

Slowtwitchers around the world are invited to invite us out for a run, a ride, or a beer!

Now, what better way to spend a few of my remaining hours in the cube, but writing a long and only slightly coherent post to Slowtwitch?

Thus, I give you the Marty Manifesto.

WE, who have broken free of the bonds of cubicle slavery, will adhere to the following, until such time as we feel the rules should change again, with no restriction to said amendments, up to and including unilateral and arbitrary additions and subtractions, notwithstanding previous modification, nor with any respect to what polite society deems proper.

WE SHALL:

Train lots
Race lots
Eat lots
Sleep lots
Live large and in charge
Drink good beer from all over the world
Surf every continent we visit
Take silly pictures
Talk to strangers
Climb mountains in the big gear
Write stories only loosely based on reality
Write stunningly bad poetry
Take martial arts
Mountain bike unmarked trails
Learn foreign languages
Sing off key
Dance, baby, dance
Learn what we don't know
Teach what we do know
Love life
Make every day a memory worth keeping.

WE HEREBY SO SOLEMNLY SWEAR.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Last edited by: martyg: Nov 30, 05 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye, cubicle [martyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a new hero.

How are you travelling around the world?

I am leaving my cubicle next summer to start a bicycle trip around the world which will likely take 2 years. I am going to bookmark your website and monitor your progress.

Congratulations.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess dreams do come true:) It should surely be a happy new year for you! Congrats and keep us posted with updates and pictures. Post up when you get back to the states and let us know where you will be too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see Canada on that world list! :(

Congratulations Marty!! That is truly something to celebrate.

Dawn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations, and best of luck. Feel free to contact me when you will be in NJ. I don't drink, but I'd be more than happy to swim/bike/run with you. NJ is just like Florida in the summer (hot and humid), you'll love it.

Thanks again for letting me use your pool and time last week.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye, cubicle [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-We're travelling by planes, trains, automobiles, boats, and bikes. Lots of multiday bike tours are planned. Save your money now for your trip next year.

- Canada is a possibility, we would just need a destination race and cool people to tell tall tales to (say that 5x fast ;-) ).

- NJ/Philly in the summer is the plan, will most likely be around a tri or open water swim event.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Canada is a possibility, we would just need a destination race and cool people to tell tall tales to"

Lots of great races in Ontario. If you go to Ottawa on Labor Day weekend for the 1/2 / Full Iron race, you'll get to meet a bunch of great folks including the infamous Dev. I'm hoping to be there too (for the 1/2) and I know a bunch of ST'ers were there last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Could not have happened to a nicer guy.

Best of luck!

"When I cleaned up my diction, I had nothing left to say" -- Van Morrison
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
- NJ/Philly in the summer is the plan, will most likely be around a tri or open water swim event.
What say you to a Deauville Schlitz and Wing throw down?
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye, cubicle [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Canadian is a great race to plan for. Hit Ottawa on Labor Day, lots to do beside the race.

If looking for Ontario events.......

www.trisportcanada.com

www.somersault.ca

www.multisportcanada.com

LOTS to choose from.

Have a great 2006 travelling.

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome Marty! If you guys make it to NorCal, you have a place to stay at Casa Morgan. Safe travels!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congratulations man, that is incredible!!! way to go!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye, cubicle [Simple Stevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- Stevie, I will have to pass on the Schlitz but the wings sound good.

- The Parry Sound half on July 29/30 looks like a good possibility we could combine with the NJ/NY/MI area travel, Labor Day we plan to be at short course worlds in Switzerland.

- Thanks Cathy, if we make it over there we'll take you up on that!

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loved the manifesto marty.. keep radiating the joy around the world. upon your return to the states where will you deicde to set up a permanent camp? looking forward to the upcoming swim clinic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow that sounds like an incredibly fun voyage. I’m sooo jealous. Have fun!

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A - you rock

B - you probably already know, but just in case - Oktoberfest starts mid-Sept and ends the 1st weekend in October. The opening day is nuts but if you can, be at the Paulaner tent where the Burgermeister of Munich taps the first fass (big-assed wooden keg). Count your change, and be polite yet decisive when you ask a waitress for another beer as they tend to tip themselves as the night goes on, especially if the customer is rude (and there's a lot of them). Oh yeah, and wave to my old apartment at Poccistrasse 13 (you will most likely get off the U3/U6 subway at Poccistrasse to walk ~ 200yds to the Theresienwiese, which is where the tents are and smack dab across from my old apartment on the corner of Pocci and Bavariaring). Its great, have fun. Strongly advise to go during the week if you want to visit (and sit) in as many tents as you like. On the weekend, go early and set up camp b/c if you come at 1pm or later, finding a seat is a beeyatch.

Viel Spass dabei!

Ted
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn man. Almost didn't see this since you posted it in Tibb's room. Congratulations on making your dreams happen. You and your wife have BALLS!

I'm green with envy, and I wish you both the very best.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck Marty. You seem fine, but I'm scared!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am so jealous.

Congratulations.

Just got back from New Zealand and you will love it so much you may not want to leave.

I do have to ask: Why Kansas?

If you make it to Cincinnati you have a place to stay and a pool in which to swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marty,

As a long time Marty athlete...I wish you and your wife the most wonderful experiences. The whole world is at your feet and I am supremely jealous. I'm 2 kids past being able to pull of your plan but I will live vicariously thru you. Have a great trip, don't forget my training plans and see you at IMCdA in june. I expect to spend at least one night sorting thru 5000 pictures!

Doug in Michigan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Safe travels Marty/Bri.

Tom R
Quote Reply
Re: goodbye, cubicle [oc3ram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys/gals

- We will probably set up camp in Raleigh, NC with long term goal of having a place in central FL as well

- I said KS, oops, but meant Missouri, for USAT natls, thanks for that offer, Barrio!

- Monk, the only thing to fear is Monk itself

- We will take a bunch of pics and have them ready for viewing at IMCDA!

- Bottomfeeder, get out while you still can ;-)

- Thanks for the tips on Oktoberfest, wow that is gonna be sehr Spaß.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn Dude,

I visit the TLR for my weekly view of the Hottie thread..... ok ok maybe it is daily.. but instead I find sitting on top of the chart is Marty&Bri Gaal-apalooza World tour proclamation. You guys already know how I am absolutely envious over your plans. So, your only way to appease is to post photos and thoughts to permit my vicarious thrill ride as you make your way. oh yeah that dancing stuff - arms down. Anyway, the doors remain open and limo services for any return visits.

Cheers,

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bravo marty ! My wife and I took a year off in the early 90s to travel, it was a very good year. Now we're back in cubeland, bah.

So will you be at the Boulder Peak tri in July ? email me if you need any CO info..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations. I am jealous. One kid to go til I retire and say goodbye to thecube and hello to the road!
Quote Reply

Prev Next