Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cell phones in cars, worth the risk?
Quote | Reply
When are we going to ban phones all together? Clearly they are incredibly dangerous. Clearly people haven't been able to demonstrate they are able to operate them safely. There is absolutely no certification required to operate one.

FACT: the more time that goes by where people are allowed to have cell phones, the more innocent people are going to die, PERIOD.

Let's act now.

• The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year.
  • Nearly 330,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.
  • 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
  • Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.
  • Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. Traveling at 55 mph, that's enough time to travel the length of a football field.
  • Texting while driving causes a 400% increase in time spent with eyes off the road
  • 11 teens die every day as a result of texting while driving.
  • According to a AAA poll, 94% of teen drivers acknowledge the dangers of texting and driving, but 35% admitted to doing it anyway.
  • 21% of teen drivers involved in fatal accidents were distracted by their cell phones.
  • Teen drivers are 4x more likely than adults to get into car crashes or near-crashes when talking or texting on a cell phone.

----
Don't hold back
Last edited by: iO4: Apr 17, 15 20:33
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in cars [iO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People are too self absorbed and self important for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yet the number of accidents has been flat or declining and the fatality rate has steadily declined since wide use of cell phones.

http://www.census.gov/...2/tables/12s1103.pdf

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on! This is unacceptable. Be outraged.

Face it, if you have a phone it is only a matter of time where you will pay attention to it while driving. Be honest people! You see that statistics.

The only safe way to abolish this threat is to remove phones. 100% guaranteed effective, easy solution. Who is in?

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in cars [Not Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to government regulations on airbags, car safety, and anti-lock brakes. Let's abolish phones to save lives now. One life saved is worth it!

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When phones are outlawed only outlaws will have phones.

Re: Cell phones in cars [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should have signs for "cell phone free areas". We will be safe if we drive in those areas.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in cars [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just brainstorming but maybe we should have some sort of psychological test for people who want to both have cell phone and a drivers license. If they have a propensity to text and drive they would be denied access. Hmmm, deny the phone or the car? Well we can figure that out but nonetheless, if we act now we will save lives. Anyone disagree? Kill all cell towers today and we will safe 11 teens every single day going forward! Who in their right mind wouldn't be for that?

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The right to bear cell phones is protected under the first amendment. How can we keep government in check if citizens are unable to communicate with one another? Taking away our cell phones is the first step down the road to tyranny.
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in cars, worth the risk? [iO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might as well just allow drinking and driving while we are at it!

If you're dumb enough to get caught using your cell phone while driving around here you face a ~$200 ticket!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a car totaled by a teenager on a cell phone. Was sitting at a stoplight and he rear ended me going 25-30 mph. Lady in next lane said he never looked up from phone.
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in cars, worth the risk? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Might as well just allow drinking and driving while we are at it!

Cell phone use and drunk driving are similar.

http://www.unews.utah.edu/old/p/062206-1.html

And what's kind of funny is people who believe they are very good at multitasking are actually the worst.
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in cars, worth the risk? [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amstel wrote:
I have had a car totaled by a teenager on a cell phone. Was sitting at a stoplight and he rear ended me going 25-30 mph. Lady in next lane said he never looked up from phone.

I got rear ended by a lady applying makeup while driving.

I see no distinction between the two. Neither should the law.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the commercial with golf Masters winner Jordan Speith where he puts the cell phone in the glove box when he gets in the car. That is what we all should do.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As soon as smart phone technology exists that prevents any use while driving, all other phone sales should be banned.
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in cars, worth the risk? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
come on, cell phones don't kill people. people kill people

all it tkes isa good guy with a cell phone to stop a bad guy with a cell phone

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You missed the simple solution here. Ban teenagers!
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in cars, worth the risk? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
As soon as smart phone technology exists that prevents any use while driving, all other phone sales should be banned.

There is already an app for that, and my car (2015 Mazda CX5) kind of does it by itself. I can't dial (except by voice) or text if the car is moving.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Teens are living longer, these days, with bike helmets and two full meals in public schools. We got to kill them off, somehow. Otherwise, we get too many stupid adults then we need more wars.

There is a plan, you know.
Quote Reply
Re: Cell phones in cars, worth the risk? [Not Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not Duffy wrote:
Amstel wrote:

I got rear ended by a lady applying makeup while driving.

I see no distinction between the two. Neither should the law.

Argument from incredulity. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean none exists.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply