Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone been in their local gun store over the last couple of days?
Quote | Reply
Bare shelves everywhere. I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that literally in a period of 3 days every single tactical rifle in the tens of thousands of gun stores across the country has been sold. Same with ammo and any magazine regardless of make or model that holds more than 10 rounds.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been in their local gun store over the last couple of days? [iO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I have been following these developments closely on another forum and man, the stories are insane, quite literally vendors that had 20, 30, and even 40 AR's in stock were selling out in a matter of hours.

Any type of AR magazine is gone, and I mean literally gone, there are no more in America.

Of course, as always happens in these panic buying scenarios, the free market responds and production ramps up, the problem this time is that inventories were already tight.

I'm looking to pick up a few rifles myself in a few weeks, I just hope those aren't gone too--these are not evil looking semi-autos, but safe "hunting" semi-autos.

And ammo, forget it, its all gone too.

Do these fools really think anyone is going to turn in ANY guns they have to the government?

The US is far from Australia.

And I say let them try and watch what happens.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been in their local gun store over the last couple of days? [iO4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at the Gander Mountain Gun World in Germantown, WI yesterday. They had 4 ARs in stock. I decided to pick up one of them. They did not expect the other 3 to make it through the day. It was a 90 min wait just to get to the computer for your background check. The shelves were bare.

The guy told me that a truck came in on Wed. As they were bringing in the ARs, people were taking them before they could even put them on the shelves. There was a huge run on 5.56 and 7.62 ammo.

One of my partners went to a gun show yesterday in Waukesha, WI. He said there were only 2 ARs at the entire show and they were selling for $1600 (about $400 over MSRP).

I have been looking for 30 round mags for the last week. No one has them. None. Cannot even find them online.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been in their local gun store over the last couple of days? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why the run on ARs? Is it because people think the govt is going to pass a law in the next week that will prevent them from getting one, or is it because they think somehow buying an AR will help them prevent another school shooting, or some other reason?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to Bass Pro Shops, Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas and a local gun store the other day. They all had AR's/tactical type rifles and each place had 5.56 ammo but the inventory is really low. The rifles that are available are the pricier ones. I was checking out a DPMS AR 15 ($850) I probably should have bought that gun but I'm more interested in a M1 Garand which I'll probably pick up next week.

At all these places I was told the weapons/ammo are flying off the shelves. I saw one guy buy 4 AR 15's and walk right out of the store with them.

My take on an 'assault weapons ban': it is only symbolic. Anyone that wants a tactical rifle, high capacity magazines and a shit load of ammo will have exactly what they want before any ban is in-place. And a confiscation of these weapons will never happen. Even Diane Feinstein's legislation has a grandfather clause for existing 'assault weapons.' But the ban will suck for people who wake up one day and wish they had a cool gun.

Even if there is a ban on assault weapons, I will still be able to buy one legally.......even in California if I wanted to, so I am not worried.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to go buy a couple of AR's and everything was gone. At least all the semi autos. It was very strange seeing the walls empty. The firearm checkout at Cabelas had about 75-100 standing in line.

Go figure, threaten to take our guns away and the Dems have stimulated a small sector of the economy.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been in their local gun store over the last couple of days? [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to Bass Pro Shops, Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas and a local gun store the other day.

Go back. I think you will be shocked to see the difference between 'the other day' and tomorrow.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been in their local gun store over the last couple of days? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Why the run on ARs? Is it because people think the govt is going to pass a law in the next week that will prevent them from getting one, or is it because they think somehow buying an AR will help them prevent another school shooting, or some other reason?

I think -- based on talking to a number of people buying them -- that the belief is AR style rifles will be outlawed (for manufacture and/or purchase). I don't know anyone who believes the govt will outlaw ownership of these guns (although I am sure some people believe this). The thought is that Pres Obama will issue an executive order banning manufacturing of AR style rifles -- similar to the executive order by Pres Clinton.

Many are buying them for resale at a much higher price. Many are buying just to have one. I purchased one just to have one. I do not think they will be outlawed, I just think they were be insanely expensive. I think high capacity mags will be banned for sale (not possession).

As I said in another thread -- I like the AR style b/c that is what I know.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't been to gun shops yet but looked online. Will pursue my ccw after Christmas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. I was going to mention that it might be a different story tomorrow. I'm going back on Monday. At one of these shops a dude told me they get deliveries on Thursday so I'll go back then too. He said they normally get "pallet-fulls" of AR's on Thursday but he thinks they are shit out of luck until the week after Christmas.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this is a ruse or not, or if it is simply a ploy to get people to stop stampeding into the gun stores right now, but it looks like the gun control freaks are gonna freak out:

Now, Harry Reid apparently is a gun nut himself, so maybe there is something to this, either way, if the neo-tyrants get wind of this they are going to shart themselves:

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/obama-reid-slam-brakes-on-gun-control/article/2516406#.UNaFCW99I_h

With President Obama’s announcement of a commission to study and recommend ways to reduce gun violence, the two most important Democrats in government — Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid — have both indicated a desire to slow the momentum toward gun control in the wake of the Newtown, Connecticut school shootings. The president’s decision to appoint a blue-ribbon panel — the classic Washington ploy to defuse and delay consideration of an issue — along with Reid’s inaction on the gun question will undoubtedly frustrate many in their party who want immediate action.

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to the local gun shop on 2 days ago. I got there about 5 minutes before they opened and they had about 25 or 30 people outside waiting to go in. I decided to leave and come back. When I came back a few hours later, there were probably about 20 people in the shop and the wait to do background checks was quite long. They were joking about naming Obama as the "Gun Salesman of the Year."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome... I'll sell you a box of .223 rounds (500) rounds for $5,000. And I'll sell you my AR-15 for another $10,000. Markup is a son of a...

In California, law is 10 rounds max in a mag. Some places get around that by selling 'Parts' for a larger capacity magazine and you assemble it, then it becomes illegal without any ramifications to the shops. We also have to have those stupid bullet buttons, so there isn't any quick release for the magazine. People just made little magnets to extend the button to get around that law... laaaame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sold a BM m4 for 3800 3 days ago... 2k more then I paid for it... Sold 10 m16 mag's I had from when I was in the marine corps for 60 bucks each. tis a good xmas for the GF.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been in their local gun store over the last couple of days? [ziptied] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap! Where did you sell it? I'll sell mine like a dog needs to poo right now!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been in their local gun store over the last couple of days? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I was at the Gander Mountain Gun World in Germantown, WI yesterday. They had 4 ARs in stock. I decided to pick up one of them. They did not expect the other 3 to make it through the day. It was a 90 min wait just to get to the computer for your background check. The shelves were bare.

The guy told me that a truck came in on Wed. As they were bringing in the ARs, people were taking them before they could even put them on the shelves. There was a huge run on 5.56 and 7.62 ammo.

One of my partners went to a gun show yesterday in Waukesha, WI. He said there were only 2 ARs at the entire show and they were selling for $1600 (about $400 over MSRP).

I have been looking for 30 round mags for the last week. No one has them. None. Cannot even find them online.

So what sort of AR did you buy???

Also, i just got for more mags ordered for my AR, Keep looking, mags are out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been in their local gun store over the last couple of days? [ziptied] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ziptied wrote:
I sold a BM m4 for 3800 3 days ago... 2k more then I paid for it... Sold 10 m16 mag's I had from when I was in the marine corps for 60 bucks each. tis a good xmas for the GF.

Enlighten me: when a marine is discharged are they typically issued 'parting gifts' like magazines of ammunition, or do grunts just routinely help themselves to US government property upon departure?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been in their local gun store over the last couple of days? [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever taken anything home from the office? Of course not. Do you know what happens to ammo that doesnt get used up? Apparently not.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live North Georgia and there is no shortage of ammo and firearms.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been in their local gun store over the last couple of days? [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enlighten me as to where I said anything about ammo? Or do you not know the difference between the two?

Here, I'll help...

This is a magazine...

This is ammo

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been in their local gun store over the last couple of days? [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Have you ever taken anything home from the office? Of course not. Do you know what happens to ammo that doesnt get used up? Apparently not. "

Not sure what you're point is. The previous guy just posted on a public forum about how he took govt property, and sold it for personal profit. Are you defending that as an acceptable practice?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ElGordo wrote:
ziptied wrote:

Enlighten me: when a marine is discharged are they typically issued 'parting gifts' like magazines of ammunition, or do grunts just routinely help themselves to US government property upon departure?

Big assumption there. If your mag fails you're the one held accountable. After all, how could it possibly be the equipment issued to you?

Some guys buy their own mags because they feel their feed is better and fail rate is lower.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been in their local gun store over the last couple of days? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe he got them as a gift.

Last edited by: chainpin: Dec 23, 12 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been in their local gun store over the last couple of days? [Mr. Burns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Burns wrote:
ElGordo wrote:
ziptied wrote:

Big assumption there. If your mag fails you're the one held accountable. After all, how could it possibly be the equipment issued to you?

Some guys buy their own mags because they feel their feed is better and fail rate is lower.

ding ding ding! I said "had from when I was in the marines" I didn't say they were issued gear. Issued junk mags had a tendency to have crappy springs in them and would cause jams, I bought a bunch of mags and used them instead and turned in my issued gear when I got out, which means........ I had left over m16 mags from when I was in the marines

See how that works?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please show me where I said anything about selling government issued gear.
Last edited by: ziptied: Dec 23, 12 8:57
Quote Reply

Prev Next