Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So mild mannered Canada closes its borders due to Ebola
Quote | Reply
http://www.ctvnews.ca/...081402#ixzz3Hkpl2wub

Very prudent. Stopped issuing visas to outbreak countries, while still allowing healthcare workers to travel there.
Quote Reply
Re: So mild mannered Canada closes its borders due to Ebola [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obama will probably close the borders in retaliation.
Quote Reply
Re: So mild mannered Canada closes its borders due to Ebola [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To Canada? Good. That would be long overdue.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: So mild mannered Canada closes its borders due to Ebola [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apparently our oil already has the Ebola.
Quote Reply
Re: So mild mannered Canada closes its borders due to Ebola [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So now people have to go to West Africa illegally if they want to catch Ebola?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was fhis really that difficult of a ban to figure out? Apparently for some here who were screaming that it would cause people to die etc couldn't think more than one step ahead.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: So mild mannered Canada closes its borders due to Ebola [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
So now people have to go to West Africa illegally if they want to catch Ebola?

Tell me you are being funny and do understand how visas work in reality, please? Canada cannot prevent Canadians travelling to say Sierra Leone as long as SL lets them in. The only thing Canada can do is deny visas to Sierra Leoneans wanting to travel to Canada. Visas are being issued by the country you're travelling *to*.

I can never tell in this place if people are being sheltered Americans or being silly.

Edit: Canada cannot even deny entry to a Canadian (or American, I think) returning *from* SL. Canadians are always allowed to return, so the fact that medical professionals can still go there is superfluous information - the government can't stop them, even if it wanted to.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Last edited by: Richard Blaine: Nov 1, 14 9:53
Quote Reply
Re: So mild mannered Canada closes its borders due to Ebola [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not exactly true the government can relieve us of our passports to prevent travel and has done so very recently.
Quote Reply
Re: So mild mannered Canada closes its borders due to Ebola [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Not exactly true the government can relieve us of our passports to prevent travel and has done so very recently.

By international law they can only do that if you hold dual citizenship. It is illegal for countries to render people stateless. Whatever that means is debatable of course, but Canada has a decent track record of abiding to international law.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
North Korea too! No one beats North Korea at insane political theatre. No one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You surely love a daily helping of Ebola.

Quote | Reply
    The LR liberal bench will now scream that Canada and Australia are two countries that are led by non-science-believing idiots.
Quote Reply
Re: So mild mannered Canada closes its borders due to Ebola [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the Americans are simply still pissed at us for Justin Bieber..... :)
Quote Reply
Re: So mild mannered Canada closes its borders due to Ebola [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
I think the Americans are simply still pissed at us for Justin Bieber..... :)

Now that is a pox cast upon us that will never be forgiven!
Quote Reply
Re: So mild mannered Canada closes its borders due to Ebola [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"non-science-believing idiots"

I thought that was what veganerd has been calling me on the dog epilepsy thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
By international law they can only do that if you hold dual citizenship. It is illegal for countries to render people stateless. Whatever that means is debatable of course, but Canada has a decent track record of abiding to international law.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's illegal to forbid travel to a certain country by imposing sanctions, like the US has done to Cuba.
Quote Reply
Re: So mild mannered Canada closes its borders due to Ebola [Aleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aleks wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's illegal to forbid travel to a certain country by imposing sanctions, like the US has done to Cuba.

I have no idea if that's true or not, but the fact that my neighbour habitually speeds on the highway doesn't mean that I get to ignore stop signs.

Quote Reply