Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Big boobs!
Quote | Reply
Firstly, I realise this will elicit quite a few "views" but I've got to say up front - no photos, sorry!
This is an observation (no pun intended) that was reinforced by comments from both of my children that there are few, if any, elite athletes in swimming (their sport) with them. My cursory observation is that this applies in other sports as well. Not all (lingerie NFL comes to mind) but certainly many triathlon related sport and those directly related (swim, bike , run) as well as athletics in terms of track events. I realise that "big boobs" are an obvious impediment to many of these sports but it's hard to fathom that the impediment is so great.

I raise this not as some sick old man or sexist pig, but as a dad with a reasonably talented daughter swimmer who has raised this herself (and her brother agrees) as being "unfair". My wife seems not to be the genetic culprit so it looks like my side if the family is to blame.

Son just smiles as he has no such impediment (me again!)
Last edited by: gunsbuns: Oct 23, 14 1:44
Quote Reply
Re: Big boobs! [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it really a big mystery? Breasts are essentially fat tissue. Elite triathletes/swimmers/runners, etc have extremely low body fat. As you lose fat body your breast size will decrease.

Quote | Reply
Ath - I don't think you're absolutely correct there. There's a genetic correlation and whilst there may be some reduction, it's not like losing weight from your gut, hips etc. you need to do some reading
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Genetics may determine your potential, but a lifetime worth of endurance activity, especially through the adolescent years when a child does the majority of their development is certainly going to have a large impact on that.

Not to be insensitive, but you don't see too many anorexic girls with big breasts either....

Quote | Reply
A girl on my high school swim team had big boobs and was also crazy fast. Don't let it get to you/her. It's like height in swimming - it might affect her getting a gold medal in the olympics, but it shouldn't stop her from what really matters; getting a college scholarship.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gunsbuns wrote:
Ath - I don't think you're absolutely correct there. There's a genetic correlation and whilst there may be some reduction, it's not like losing weight from your gut, hips etc. you need to do some reading

Or maybe you should

http://www.3fatchicks.com/...ht-loss-breast-size/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olympian (2x) Joelle Franzmann is an outlier - when I watched the world cups, I was always surprised that the commentators never mentioned her 'big boobs' from a performance perspective - the extra weight, potential back problems - I also suspect she may have had a breast reduction...it seemed that they were slightly smaller, but still way bigger than her competitors, her last few years as a pro.

https://www.google.ca/...QBQ&ved=0CC0Q7Ak

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Big boobs! [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
gunsbuns wrote:
Ath - I don't think you're absolutely correct there. There's a genetic correlation and whilst there may be some reduction, it's not like losing weight from your gut, hips etc.
you need to do some reading

Or maybe you should

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breast

Breast fat tissue is but one part of it. You can lose a lot of weight and still have large breasts.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Big boobs! [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
mrtopher1980 wrote:
gunsbuns wrote:
Ath - I don't think you're absolutely correct there. There's a genetic correlation and whilst there may be some reduction, it's not like losing weight from your gut, hips etc.

Or maybe you should

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breast

Breast fat tissue is but one part of it. You can lose a lot of weight and still have large breasts.

Didn't say you couldn't, just pointing out it is in fact like gut and hips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, gut and hips is fat and muscle. Breasts are fat, muscle and "glands." You can't lose glands without surgery. Some women have more gland tissue than others, and thus can never have small breasts.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
No, gut and hips is fat and muscle. Breasts are fat, muscle and "glands." You can't lose glands without surgery. Some women have more gland tissue than others, and thus can never have small breasts.

No where did I disagree with any of that but sure keep trying to make it look like I did.

The 'unfair' part that guns is referring to is mostly fat, not the gland in this case. While the gland is different on various women fat is a huge factor and cannot be ignored (well apparently it can be in this thread).

There has been a direct correlation between body fat and breast size of everyone I have ever dated.

Lose fat on your hips gut or breasts and they will get smaller regardless of any other tissue in the area.

As for losing glands surgery is not always required, heck it even says so in your link, but why would you actually read what you post?... hormones can and do affect breast size including that of the glands. Hormones of a young athlete are going to be different from that of one who isn't and can play a roll.

Still they are probably mostly noticing a difference in fat not gland.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you are right. You win the internets today.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is corrct about the glands not shrinking despite weight lose. The size of the glands is affected by hormone levels which may also be why athletes that are very fit (low body fat levels) have small breasts. The lack of body fat lowers hormone levels causing many changes such as loss of menstruation and would prevent the breast glands from growing, essentially leaving the woman with a pre-pubescent body if they began the high level athletic endeavor before going through puberty. If the athlete began to work out harder after the breasts have already developed, then getting to low body fat will cause them to shrink somewhat from loss of fat but the glands probably wouldn't shrink unless her weight loss was severe and sustained (thus causing major hormonal changes).
Quote Reply
Re: Big boobs! [LoDewey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for being a better explainer than me.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You disagree with a post, suggest someone should read more and then pull out your evidence of past girlfriends. Well played...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was going to be another Starky excuse thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Big boobs! [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, "N=the girls I've dated" must be some sort of new scientific method. I don't think he accounted for selection bias in his study either...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Big boobs! [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
You disagree with a post, suggest someone should read more and then pull out your evidence of past girlfriends. Well played...

Just so we are clear boobs, which are partially made up of fat, cannot change size when body fat levels change?

And for the record the OP actually was the one who told someone else to go read:

gunsbuns wrote:

I simply provided some reading that contradicted what he was claiming.

Then tkos says that glands can only change size with surgery, but then tells the next person (After me) to bring up hormones that is what he actually meant.
Quote Reply
Re: Big boobs! [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the first picture posted adds to the disappointment. Where is Duffy when we need him?
Quote Reply
Re: Big boobs! [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My breasts change size when I gain or loose weight. They stay relatively the same in cup size but may move up a cup size when I gain more then a little weight.

A 34C cup will be smaller than a 36 C or 38C. A increase in one band size usually equals one cup size difference in breast size. So a 36C cup size will be similar to a 34D but band will be bigger in the 36.

When I see elite triathletes with large breasts I sort of assume they have had implants as in general lean low fat athletic women mean smaller breasts.
Quote Reply
Re: Big boobs! [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KathyG wrote:
My breasts change size when I gain or loose weight.

A bunch of guys in this thread say you are wrong...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Are they built for speed or for comfort?"

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. I am saying that you won't necessarily lose a "large" amount of breast size with weight lose. It depends on the amount of breast gland tissue you have. Kathy might not have much gland tissue compared with my wife, who doesn't change much size when gaining or losing weight. I am saying there is no absolute. And hormone change doesn't make for smaller breasts in adults. It is quite common for women to gain breast size as they get older, and not necessarily by gaining weight.

Preteens and teens can likely delay the onset of breast tissue development more so than adults can lose the tissue. Different things.

Ian
Quote Reply

Prev Next